GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off work for 2 weeks during Christmas and I have been working (and enjoying) doing maintenence things to the Wing.
Among many other things I have done, I've completed some tasks that I probably would of never done without the help of the excellent instructions and pictures on Fred Harmon's site!
I just completed changing the front fork fluid along with adding Progressive Suspension springs, greasing the steering head bearings (lower bearings were dry!), and retorked the steering bearings.............all with the assistence of Fred Harmon's pictures/instructions.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon

Thanks Fred for the excellent pictures/instructions and taking the time to document all this for us riders that probably would never tackle this themselves if it wasn't for you..............Great Job!

I know Fred doesn't visit this site as much anymore but I hope he sees this message..................

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Fred Harmon

I will second that Brian. Fred has been a tremendous help to many of us on this board as well as a watchdog for things like the frame issue. If there is a problem he is relentless to find a solution. Hope you (fred) keep up the good work.
Rackets

·
Registered
324 Posts
Fred - You the Man!

I have to pipe in on this one – Fred Harmon does a great job. He has assisted me several times when questions arose about my Gold Wing. His feedback is straightforward and technically accurate – I appreciate that! The web site Harmon has personally developed is also great – he spent his personal time to take the photos, narrate and post all of that information – again straightforward – making what may seem complicated, simple!

I personally visit http://1800goldwing.com every day – Fred is moderator of a few of the forums on this site. No name-calling or other related “bull” on this site – just some real good information.

I’m quite sure that Fred and I will cross paths at some point – I look forward to that day.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Fred sure does have a strong drive at anything he does with the Goldwing.

And he takes quality photos too

·
Registered
979 Posts
Fred

:) I Dont have much to add but I think Fred is a very valuable member of of the Goldwing community the information and step by step pictures are outstanding, just wish he was he was a regular still on this board but the other board is outstanding as well, a big thank you to Fred. :) :sw1: :sw1: :sw1: :bow: :clap2: :s27: :s27: :s27:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Salute ta Fred Harmon

I'll say Fred is ah Great guy & has contributed alot to us all. Thanks Fred!! :s27:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agree with the positive comments about Fred. His tech articles and photos are the bomb.

wile e

·
Vendor
21,887 Posts
Thanks Guys!

Wow, I just visited this board and caught this message. Thanks guys for all the compliments. I never realized how popular my photo site would become when I started all this. It really has really grown this past couple of years.

I have circulated a vacation video shot from my west coast trip (6,800 miles/17 days) and it is in the US mail making the rounds now. Most of it was shot with the camera mounted to the bike. I got some pretty good video of the nine national parks we rode through along with hwy 1 up the Calif coast all put to music. It is fun to watch on a cold winters day.

It has got me thinking that maybe I should make a maintenance video and send it around (for free of course). Right now I am holding off for DVD recorder prices to come down. I need one to be able to edit my camcorder tapes onto, so I have a good master copy that I can make multiple VHS copies from. Maybe I will make that my new project for this year. I should be able to include just about all the maintenance that you would ever need to do on one tape. But first I have to teach my bikini clad assistant how to hold the camera while I wrench.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the compliments and I hope to continue to do more maintenance photos, but please remember when you look at my site, that you should take it all with a grain of salt and always consult your manual. A good example of a goof up I made was the pics I posted of adjusting the stem bearings with a screwdriver and hammer. While it can be done this way, I later discovered I had put some nice gouges in my bearing adjuster nut which I have now had to replace (Thanks to Stu O for pointing me to the error of my ways). I now use a socket tool (home made) and torque them to spec like I should have in the first place, and I have taken down those pics of the hammer and screwdriver trick. So just remember that I am not infallible so always consult your manual and if anything I write or photo does not agree with the manual, trust the manual to be correct.

I hope to make another 7K trip this May again and I will also be down in the Hill Country in April. Maybe I will see you on the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts