GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in need of a winter vacation destination for about a week - and had never been to San Antonio, Texas.
It appears to be a decent place to stage. Approx 900 miles from here (63089). We would trailer a bike. Cool weather is not a problem, as we have gear and generally ride anytime it's above freezing.

Been to south Florida too many times and need a change. Not into snow or skiing or whatever.

Suggestions ?

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
We are in need of a winter vacation destination for about a week - and had never been to San Antonio, Texas.
It appears to be a decent place to stage. Approx 900 miles from here (63089). We would trailer a bike. Cool weather is not a problem, as we have gear and generally ride anytime it's above freezing.

Been to south Florida too many times and need a change. Not into snow or skiing or whatever.

Suggestions ?

I would go for it. You can ride the "Three Sisters." Enjoy breakfast at the OST cafe in Bandera. When you're not riding, the River Walk in San Antonio is awesome with many places to eat/drink. Also, The Alamo is right there which definitely merits a visit.

:doorag:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Take a few days to see Waco Texas too. Just up the road about 200 miles.
Lots to see there.
Baylor university is so beautiful, and looks like something right out of Boston.
Nearby is the very cool Texas Ranger Museum.
The start of the Chisholm Trail is at the downtown Brazos River bridge.
And lots of new restaurants popping up near the Magnolia Market/Gardens of Chip and Joanna Gaines TV fame.
And don't forget the new surfing lake (seriously!) with the wave making machine that is next to the water ski lake.
Been to Waco about 4 times now that my sisters moved there.
Jefro.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We trailered the Wing down to Kerrville last year. Stayed at Inn of the Hills https://www.innofthehills.com/. Reasonably priced and a nice place. Lot of parking lot to leave the trailer. Rode the Sisters (not impressed compared to Arkansas and Colorado) and looked around several towns.

I stay away from the larger cities in Texas (an most places). Too nuts for me.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
I would go for it. You can ride the "Three Sisters." Enjoy breakfast at the OST cafe in Bandera. When you're not riding, the River Walk in San Antonio is awesome with many places to eat/drink. Also, The Alamo is right there which definitely merits a visit.

:doorag:
Apologies for hi-jacking this thread but when I saw the above about breakfast at the OST in Bandera my thoughts went to Tom Finch and I was wondering if anybody has any updates on his health.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I'm so glad you asked. Contact ([email protected] ) This is located in Fredericksburg Tx. This the same location Honda chose to show/ride the new 2018 model when it came out. It is centrally located and only about a 45 minute ride from San Antonio. They have cabins next to running water and is terrific. Hope you look them up. It is kind of in the middle of the hill country northwest of San Antonio. If you have any further questions pm me. about a 15 minute ride to Lukenbach tx.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Depending on your interests there are day trips you could do

Johnson space center in Houston

USS Lexington in Corpus Christi

And don't forget to eat some BBQ while your down there

·
Registered
909 Posts

Suggestions ?
I'm currently vacationing in New Hampshire, but will be back home in SA on Wed. Weather for Christmas week is looking fantastic for riding. Come on down and enjoy the weather and the rides. Some think the Three Sisters is nothing compared to Arkansas and other places, but for us, it's great riding!! Being in South Central Texas, there's not a lot of mountains, so we take the hill country for what it gives us. I've ridden the Dragon and the Skyway and enjoyed both, but I'll still ride the Sisters in Dec and Jan over not being able to ride at all!!! All I can say is, you come down, ride the Sisters and you be the judge. Bet you don't ride the Dragon too much in Dec - Feb!!! :wink2: :biker:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Come on down, you will not regret it; every little town and village in the Texas Hill Country is dressed up for the Holidays but the gold standard is the San Antonio River Walk. If you can, I would try to spend one night at one of the hotels on or near the river walk, call about trailer parking. The roads after dark are full of the white tail forest rats, they can hurt you. There is enough to do in south Texas and the hill country that it can't all be listed here and you could not get in done in a life time. Bandera and the OST, Kerrville, Tx and the YO ranch or Cowboy Steak house, Boot Scootin at Gurene (pro green) Hall, built in 1878 and still has some of the best music you will hear, you can just sit outside and listen, the walls are thin. Steve Ray is still helping to keep Austin weird. The reds and long fin tuna are running like crazy if you like to fish in Port Aransas (day boats from $85 and you provide nothing, temp fishing license is cheap). A tour of the King Ranch. We fight about BBQ & college Football, here is a link, https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/ . All the suggestion in previous post are good, enjoy yourself. Oh, and the last picture is of a fully restored 1954 Vincent Black Shadow, the same bike (his was slightly modified) that Rollie Freed road to a speed record in excess of 150 MPH on the salt flats, wearing a bathing suit in 1948, you never know what you will run across in the Hill Country.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
Apologies for hi-jacking this thread but when I saw the above about breakfast at the OST in Bandera my thoughts went to Tom Finch and I was wondering if anybody has any updates on his health.

Yes, and thanks for asking. One can’t think of the OST without thinking of Tom Finch. He and his every-changing entourage have been eating breakfast at the OST almost every Sunday since 1973! If the sun rises in the East on Sunday you know Tom is at the OST.

Tom’s cancer is in remission (if that’s the right word) since his surgeries and chemotherapy. He’s had some infection issues since that left him very weak for a while. However, he is on the mend. I talked to him a few days ago and he had just returned from a ride with his local friends, and he said he felt better than he’d felt in months!

As of today though, he had to go in for a heart cath. His daughter Terri, who has been a God-send to Tom flew in from Denver to take her Dad to the hospital. I’ve not heard from either of them this evening to see what happened.

Tom is a mentor and role-model for me and many others on this board. Please keep him in your thoughts.

Glen

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Here are some more photos; most are self explanatory captioned, the Cider Mill is in Medina, TX the begining of hwy 337, one of the sisters, the enchanted rock is a State Park with history, that is one big rock. The motorcycle stop is 1 mile west of Leakey on Hwy 337, friends at Neal's in ConCan, one of the best chicken fried steaks you will find (you have had a chicken fried steak?).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
hahahahaaaaa
I KNEW this was the right place to ask

But when I said San Antonio, I meant just in that general area and not downtown :wink2:
The more rural, the better.

We don't golf, and we're not sports fans.

·
Registered
628 Posts
OST - Old Santa Fe Trail restaurant

·
Registered
909 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If you want rural, Kerrville comes to mind.....25 miles south of Fredericksburg (Fredericksburg is nice but it becomes busy especially during the holidays). Kerrville is centrally located and is very easy to get to just about anything you would want to see or do. On the outskirts of Kerrville is the town of Ingram, in Ingram is the Old Town Loop, most people miss it; there a bunch of craft shops on the little short loop. One of the hotels was mentioned in a previous post and there a bunch of good places to stay in Kerrville. There a whole bunch of bike groups base out of Kerrville every spring because it is just so handy. **** Now if you want to get desolate, consider the Medina High point resort, it is about 15 miles south of Kerrville on hwy 16. They have cabins and a little general store. When it gets dark there it is dark. I would not be on Hwy 16 after dark. http://medinahighpointresort.com/ I still recommend 1 night in San Antonio on the river walk.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Tom is out of the hospital and doing well. We had lunch with him, Roger and Bill yesterday at the Cracker Barrel. He looks good and says he feels good too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts