GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at, reading about and trying to search for an MP3 player to put on my Christmas list. I wanted something that had a flash memory, FM radio and could accept an additional SD memory card. If that wasn't enough, I needed for it to be in the $100 +/- price range.

The best deal I've found thus far (everything I want with the most capacity) is the 2GB SanDisk Sansa e250 (model SDMX4-2048) for just under $110 at Santa's door. It appears to be fairly well reviewed and SanDisk is certainly a well known name in memory but I wanted to see if anyone here had one in this series (e2xx, in 1GB, 2GB, 4GB or 6GB)) and how they liked it. Anyonw using one who'd care to comment? Thanks! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,277 Posts
I purchased the E270 (6 gig) model back in July and love it. It did have a problem, and I had about 5 gig of muzak on it. All the muzak turned into '0000000'. I mean EVERYTHING !!! Whatever title or album or Singer....nothing but square'ish looking ZERO's. A quick talk to tech support and the problem stemmed from a software glitch. He walked me thru the update, and the problem was solved in less than 24 hrs. SO, make sure you have the latest software updates via Sandisk.

Overall, I like it, and would purchase another. I used MusicMatch and converted all my MP3's into MP3PRO (96 k) and can now fit over 1500 songs in less than 6 gig. (I kept the original MP3's at 192 k) I like the fact that I can expand it by purchasing micro SD cards, but, it's really not necessary.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone else who might be interested in one of these, I'm posting the following from an email I received this morning:

I am a lurker on the 1800 Board for the time being and ran across your post tonight.
I do have and use the SanDisk 2G and recently picked up another SanDisk E260 4GB at Costco on sale for 139.99 minus 20.00 coupon for a total of 119.99. That seems to be a good deal! But in my town the sale is over.
If I were you I would buy the 2 GB at that price you mentioned if its all the necessary Gigs you think you will need.
I have not even opened the box of the 4 Gig yet...Waiting to lose or break the first one... Any way.. I think you would enjoy it.
My ride is a Yamaha 1300 Venture Royale 1986. It has the cassette tape deck so what I have done is purchased a special cassette tape at Best Buy Store that has a wire coming out of it that plugs into the ear plug socket on the MP3 player. Then you just put the tape in the player as usual turn the volume all the way up on the MP3 and adjust the volume thru the bike sound system as you would normally. Trust me. I'm deaf. Its way LOUD. Im sure it would blow the speakers if turned up for very long. I put the MP3 in a pocket on the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
I have the Sansa e280. I like it now. At first I had some issues with the sound quality coming thru the AUX input. (the radio still has better fidelity)Most of that was resolved by simply turning the players volume all the way up. I am still experimenting with which rate and format to record at. But with 8 gigs to play with, I'll be enjoying myself loading tunes for a long time. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just sent out my Christmas list with the Sandisk Sansa e260 4GB MP3 player on it. I found a deal that brings it to Santa's door for under $115, which was only five dollars more than the best deal I'd found on the 2GB model. While I didn't know I'd ever need more than 2GB (or even one), I couldn't imagine passing up the opportunity to double the storage for five bucks.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I really appreciate it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,009 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
I found a deal that brings it to Santa's door for under $115, which was only five dollars more than the best deal I'd found on the 2GB model. :D
So...ya gonna share or is this a special only for you deal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
weengers said:
Gary in Indiana said:
I found a deal that brings it to Santa's door for under $115, which was only five dollars more than the best deal I'd found on the 2GB model. :D
So...ya gonna share or is this a special only for you deal?
I'm always happy to share. All you need to do is ask. :) As I said, there's a rebate involved so it's a two step process and is actually a little tricky but I confirmed with Sandisk that this is legit and will be honored.

The best deal on the MP3 player is from a name we all know-Amazon.com because of FREE SUPER SAVER SHIPPING.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... lectronics

Here's the same rebate form. It'll work even though it says 'Adorama' on the top. I've confirmed with Sandisk that they'll honor it with an Amazon receipt. The purchase MUST be made by December 15 so don't do the last minute thing.

http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/sanddcz_121506.pdf

Once again, this puts you at a net of $114.95 ($144.95 at Amazon with FREE SUPER SAVER SHIPPING and no sales tax less the $30.00 Sandisk rebate). :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
This is an intersting post about MP3 players. I have a Sansa E140 (1 gig) with a 2 gig card in it for a total of 3 gigs.

I also have A Rio chiba 256 with a 1 gig expansion card. I have been running Mp3 players for a long time.

My first one had a Lithium Battery (More about that later)

I have been looking for another MP3 player (Flash Memory Only, NO HARD DRIVE)

I want a player with a larger screen that is easier to read on the bike, I have the player on a ram mount attached to a Texelent Accessory bar. The backlight and contrast on the E140, sort of S--ks.

So, I have been looking for awhile, I have looked at Sansa, insignia, I River(I Click) Creative Zen etc

Here is the problem. The E140 is driven by a Triple A battery, I carry a sheath of these on the bike. When the Battery dies, I just pop another one in. Never lose any Tune Time, Perfect

All the rest of these have Lithium Batteries, Most are USB, port recharged VS AC/DC Charger basically longer re-charge time.

No, I don't want an I-POD

Most do not have quick change Lithium Battery capability

Most don't get the advertised Play time because of file size and type, backlight timing etc etc.

What I was looking for was a flash drive 2-3 Gigs, Large Screen Like The ZUNE, battery driven (Not Lithium.)

Now I would have almost settled on A Sansa 2Gig because the screen is bigger and brighter BUT you can-not have a aux power supply (CIG Plug In Adapter) just straight battery. And You can't add a Memory Expansion Card on most of these like I can On my E140.

I run WMA format at 64KB lossless compression, tunes audio boosted to 96-97Db
I wrap all the tracks into a single file , reset the Rev1/3 tag so the player will read the Album title and artist in capital letters. I get about 115-121 complete CD's on 3 Gigs and sounds great on the bike at whatever speed I cruise at.

But for me the ideal player for the bike, if its out there I can't find it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,009 Posts
Thanks, Gary. I appreciate your sharing spirit. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,277 Posts
JimRo said:
This is an intersting post about MP3 players. I have a Sansa E140 (1 gig) with a 2 gig card in it for a total of 3 gigs.

I also have A Rio chiba 256 with a 1 gig expansion card. I have been running Mp3 players for a long time.

My first one had a Lithium Battery (More about that later)

I have been looking for another MP3 player (Flash Memory Only, NO HARD DRIVE)

I want a player with a larger screen that is easier to read on the bike, I have the player on a ram mount attached to a Texelent Accessory bar. The backlight and contrast on the E140, sort of S--ks.

So, I have been looking for awhile, I have looked at Sansa, insignia, I River(I Click) Creative Zen etc

Here is the problem. The E140 is driven by a Triple A battery, I carry a sheath of these on the bike. When the Battery dies, I just pop another one in. Never lose any Tune Time, Perfect

All the rest of these have Lithium Batteries, Most are USB, port recharged VS AC/DC Charger basically longer re-charge time.

No, I don't want an I-POD

Most do not have quick change Lithium Battery capability

Most don't get the advertised Play time because of file size and type, backlight timing etc etc.

What I was looking for was a flash drive 2-3 Gigs, Large Screen Like The ZUNE, battery driven (Not Lithium.)

Now I would have almost settled on A Sansa 2Gig because the screen is bigger and brighter BUT you can-not have a aux power supply (CIG Plug In Adapter) just straight battery. And You can't add a Memory Expansion Card on most of these like I can On my E140.

I run WMA format at 64KB lossless compression, tunes audio boosted to 96-97Db
I wrap all the tracks into a single file , reset the Rev1/3 tag so the player will read the Album title and artist in capital letters. I get about 115-121 complete CD's on 3 Gigs and sounds great on the bike at whatever speed I cruise at.

But for me the ideal player for the bike, if its out there I can't find it
It sounds like you got the ideal player for the bike. I looked at the same MP3 player as you, and I loved the idea of the AAA battery and the availability of them in remote places. WMA puts alot more muzak at your fingertips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
n9frp,

The player is great. The only problem is the backlight and contrast sort of leave something to be desired. Every player displays the ID tags differently.

With the E140 I type everything in caps and only have the name of the album and the artist. That helps. But the screen is a little small and a little to dark, which makes it hard to read on the fly.

Like I said I can get about 120 CD's on 3 gigs. I don't know about you but I have a hard time managing 120 CD's of Music on the bike, period.

I have over 1200 Cd's Converted and sound adjusted for the bike, and they play super.

But I would love to find a player that has a screen the the size of the Big IPOD or Zune that runs on batteries, that loads via Drag and Drop

Or even a lithium player that has a Cig Adapter plug in, that has the same charteristics as described above.

But to date can't find one. still looking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JimRo said:
I would love to find a player that has a screen the the size of the Big IPOD or Zune that runs on batteries, that loads via Drag and Drop

Or even a lithium player that has a Cig Adapter plug in, that has the same charteristics as described above.
I found 12v cigarette lighter chargers for the Sandisk Sansa e2xx series on Ebay if you're interested. I know that doesn't solve your other issues but it's a start. Good luck finding on that does everything you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Gary in Indiana,

Thanks for the heads up. I find it amazing that you can find nothing on The Sandisk web site about recharging accessorys etc. Does not say anything about re-charging options on their site under the product specs at all.

Think I will go over to best buy again and look at the screen size againt my e140, if I like it I will buy one. I already have a 2 gig expansion card in my E140, so that will give me 4 gigs, like I really need 4 gigs, LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
JimRo said:
This is an intersting post about MP3 players. I have a Sansa E140 (1 gig) with a 2 gig card in it for a total of 3 gigs.

I also have A Rio chiba 256 with a 1 gig expansion card. I have been running Mp3 players for a long time.

My first one had a Lithium Battery (More about that later)

I have been looking for another MP3 player (Flash Memory Only, NO HARD DRIVE)

I want a player with a larger screen that is easier to read on the bike, I have the player on a ram mount attached to a Texelent Accessory bar. The backlight and contrast on the E140, sort of S--ks.

So, I have been looking for awhile, I have looked at Sansa, insignia, I River(I Click) Creative Zen etc

Here is the problem. The E140 is driven by a Triple A battery, I carry a sheath of these on the bike. When the Battery dies, I just pop another one in. Never lose any Tune Time, Perfect

All the rest of these have Lithium Batteries, Most are USB, port recharged VS AC/DC Charger basically longer re-charge time.

No, I don't want an I-POD

Most do not have quick change Lithium Battery capability

Most don't get the advertised Play time because of file size and type, backlight timing etc etc.

What I was looking for was a flash drive 2-3 Gigs, Large Screen Like The ZUNE, battery driven (Not Lithium.)

Now I would have almost settled on A Sansa 2Gig because the screen is bigger and brighter BUT you can-not have a aux power supply (CIG Plug In Adapter) just straight battery. And You can't add a Memory Expansion Card on most of these like I can On my E140.

I run WMA format at 64KB lossless compression, tunes audio boosted to 96-97Db
I wrap all the tracks into a single file , reset the Rev1/3 tag so the player will read the Album title and artist in capital letters. I get about 115-121 complete CD's on 3 Gigs and sounds great on the bike at whatever speed I cruise at.

But for me the ideal player for the bike, if its out there I can't find it
I used to use a Philips MP3 player that was basically working quite well. But the one thing I hated the most were the batteries.

They ALWAYS would go out 5 minutes after leaving the gas station, parking lot (you name it).

I would never buy another MP3 player that cannot be powered from the bike. It's just way to inconvenient.

However since I've got XM (throught the GPS) I've gotten rid of the MP3 player setup.

Reiner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
reinerka,

I Have never had a problem with dead batteries, because my players have a battery life indicator on them which is pretty visible. Once it gets down to the last eighth on the bar I cahnge the Batt, not a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Gary,
I went to Best buy yesterday placed my E140 beside the E2XX 2 gig compared the backlight and all other stuff and and then bought a 4 gig at Amazon. $144.00 free shipping

Why a 4 VS a 2gig, because, the E200 series takes a Micro SD expansion card vs an MMC expansion card (Which I have). So For a difference of 30 I doubled the size, which I will never fill. The Micro cards 2 Gig were a lot more expensive when I add both cost together I got more capacity for less $$$

Now to ebay for a charging hit. Griffin had a charging kit in Best Buy for $40.00 Should be able to buy the same thing on Ebay for less than half with the shipping.

Got to love America, LOL

Now, I will buy a Cig Lighter plug in cable in the off season, then to Radio Shack for a Dual female plug in, to plug into the Cig Adapter and run the GPS and Player off of one Cig Adapter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jim,

Don't forget to download this rebate form and get your $30 back from Sandisk;

http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/sanddcz_121506.pdf

Don't worry that this download has another store name on the top. I've confirmed with Sandisk that they will honor the rebate with this form and an Amazon online order confirmation. Glad I was able to help you find this deal. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Gary in Indiana

Gary thanks alot for the heads up on this deal. If you hadn't let me know I never would have known about the rebate.

Dowmloaded the form, as soon as the little devil gets here the rebate will be in the mail
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
I have been reading about these thing till Im blue in the face......Ipod Vs MP3.....the whole nine yards. Fred Harmon's tip about the Ipod Locking up made my decision against the Ipod and to go with something that it flash memory based.

I think I am going to get the E280 Sansa.....from B&H Photo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... Navigation

And then mail in the $30 Rebate.

RRP
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top