GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I copy my music (mp3 type) to the player, the files play ok but they are "all' there together. ( Under "Play All" in the menu. )

I tried to make a playlist and copied the music files along with the playlist file (an m3u type ) to the player.

The player will recognize the playlist name in it's menu but when I try to access it, it say's "No Files". I can only play them from the "Play All" option in the menu.

Is this normal for this (Cheapy) player or am I missing something when I copy the files to the player?

I use my file manager to copy from H.D. to the player's drive letter.

I have updated the players firmware from Sandisk.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just put all my MP3's in a folder and then go into the folder and copy the MP3's and paste it to the Sansa that comes up in My Computer file directory.
My computer recognizes the Sansa as a removable hard drive. This works good for me.
Oh yes- you got to hook that little cable up to a usb port!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sansa

Skip

That's just how I do my transferring. All are grouped together in the mp3 player.

I was just wondering how to get the files to show up in the menu on the player under "Playlists"

I thought it would be nice to have different playlists depending on my mood.

Easy listening , Exercizing (snappy music) , etc.
Each one could be a different playlist.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To record play back do this:

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/pdf/ ... g_m200.pdf

Go to the above website and this is the user manual for th m200 series.

On page 30 (at the bottom of the page) it shows "auto detect" or "MSC"(mass storage class). If you are just drag and droping files, you must change the setting from auto detect(as it comes from the factory) to the "MSC" setting.

I did not know about this manual and actually called Sandisk and they walked me through it and told me about the manual.

·
Registered
705 Posts
larry31,

First of all it is not as you say a CHEAPY piece of hardware. It is in fact a pretty good little player for the $$$.

I have had more MP3 players than I care to remember from Rio to Sandisk To RCA etc etc

The play all music refers to the fact that when you turn on the player it reads the flash in the main memory on the player. If you have a micro expansion card to get access to that hit play all music. The e140 series is set up the same way.

The key to using any technology is understanding what it does.

For instance you can manage your music 2 ways thru the Window media player or thru drag and drop.

The most efficient is drag and drop

Also when the player is plugged in and shows up as a seperate drive, go in and explore the folders inside the drive. you will find all kinds of stuff they put in there as demos, in music, video etc etc also to show the user how its set up to run.

Most of that stuff I deleted because under music I didn't need album art and demo music to show up on the screen etc. and all that stuff eats memory

New you have to have your ID 1-3 tags set up to the most effiecent manner that YOU SELECT THE MUSIC to play.

For example, I have all my music wrapped into a single file in WMA format

Or more simply, If I have 10 tracks in a CD I wrap them into a single file. I hate chasing different songs from diffent albums. (my choice.) I listen to music by complete CD not indiv songs

I change all my tags to read the artist name and album title (only) in cap letters easier to read on the bike.

Turn on the player, wheel my way to the artist and play.

Seeing most of my stuff runs 45-65 minutes, i'm good for an hour. I can then let in play the next CD or select something else

I have 1300 complete CD's I have edited, sound adjuted and can play on any MP3 player.

You have to set the whole thing up with the way you want it to play and adapt to the technology in the player..

NOW to play list's on the e200 series. You can create what they call a "GO list"

Here is the process:

Start the player, play a song. Under the rotary dial is the down button.

When the song plays, click the down button and the screen "Music Options" Appears.

Use the down button to get to the "add song to go list"
push the center button and will add your selection to the go list.

On pg 14 in the owners manual I have an E260 it will tell you how to create and transfer pay lists to the player
Here is the instr

Transfer Playlists
To can transfer playlists to your Sansa e200 using software programs like Windows Media Player (WMP) 10 follow
these steps:
1. Create a playlist in Windows Media Player(WMP) 10
2. Connect your Sansa to the computer in MTP mode.
3. Go to the Synch Tab and click Set Up Synch.
4. Select Automatic Synch
5. Select the playlist you wish to transfer to the player.
6. Unplug when the synch is completed and check for the playlist by selecting main menu screen Music and then
Playlists
7. If you need further Help with creating and synchronizing Playlists in Windows Media Player 10 select Help in
the toolbar and “To create a playlist” and “synchronize” from the drop down list.

PS if you set it up right it will even play in a Stearman

·
Registered
23 Posts
larry31 said:
Is this normal for this (Cheapy) player or am I missing something when I copy the files to the player?
I also have a Sansa and I use Windows Media Player to convert my CD's, within WMP under privacy there is an option that allows WMP to download the name of the artist and songs to WMP, when you sync they names are also transferred to the Sansa.

For those that I just copy like a file I usually loose the names so it just appears as track1, track2, etc.

My wife and daughters have Ipods; I believe that my Sansa is better than the ipod.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I find it easier to rip a cd rename the tracks, do my own Rv tags and load on the player via drag and drop. Also I use Dbpoweramp to bulk convert.
I also agree I think the new E200 series od Sansa players are better than I-Pods in most cases.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sansa

JimRo

You refer to connecting the player to computer in “MTP” mode when transferring playlists.

My Sansa m230 only shows… A- Auto Detect
B-MSC
Under the Settings, USB options.

If I try to transfer playlists, do I use the “Auto Detect” option?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Larry

you have an M230 which I am not familiar with. Have you read your owners manual it should tell you in there

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sansa

jimRo

My Manual and Sandisk's site mentions the MSC mode for downloading it's updates. I set my player to that to download the update. Didn't change it back yet.

I'll try the Auto Detect setting next time I transfer music to it.

After rereading comments on displaying music names, artist, etc.
I Tag my music in with the MusicMatch Jukebox playlist Tag Editor.
The player displays the song title and artist ok.

The player works great. Nice product for the $35.00 I spent for it.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
My wife was given a new C140 and wants me to set it up for her. This info is going to very helpful when I do it. BTW, would transferring the playlist using Media Player be the easiest way to get it over to the sansa?

·
Registered
705 Posts
larry31

Not trying to be rude but you have a 512MB player which isn't much more than a USB storage drive.I think that player has minimal capavilities in comparioson to the higher end sansa players. I went back and looked it up when you posted the model # I have a couple of friends with the 1Gig verizon of that one.

Don't really get into higher functions until you get up to the E100 and E200 series players

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sansa

JimRo

I thought as much. My model must be limited, compaired to higher end models. Oh Well!!

I've been able to load my songs in the order I want by creating a playlist with Playlist Creator V-3 and saving the playlist and just doing the "Copy" - "Paste" thing to the player.

I'm still experimenting with the whole "Taging", "Playlist" thing.

To cold to ride so I've got time to play.

·
Registered
705 Posts
larry31

I currently run 3 different mp3 players:

An Older Rio Chiba 256 with a 1gig expansion card

A Sansa e140 with a 2 gig expansion card

And a new Sansa e260 4gig

Each of these players handle the music a lttle different, each one reads the tags a little different and each one has a few different capabilities regarding methods of play back selection.

On one I like the selection process better, one of them I like the controls a little better esp on the bike and one one them I like the screen a lot better.

Unfortunatley, none of of them have all of them on one player

I usually use one as a primary and keep the other one in the trunk as a back up in case I have an "In Flight System Failure" LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts