GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone from the Santa Fe area on here? We are going to be riding north on Friday and Saturday in the area and was wondering how much smoke is there? We will be on US 285 North. My wife has asmatha and is very worried about traveling in the smoke.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's bad and getting worse- according to Albuquerque news. I have COPD
and I haven't really had breathing problems but in Taos and Santa Fe, my
nose , eyes and throat burn a little.
Hope this helps.
John

·
Registered
226 Posts
It is getting worse as the wind is changing. I would stay away. At least South and West of Albuquerque.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
we were there a couple weeks ago, during the day smoke was no problem but for some reason about 5:30 every nite the smoke settled in almost like fog, most folks said it had been that way everyday about 5:30 since the fires started, in the morning the smoke was gone, how that could b be i sure can't understand but thats exactly the way it was for us

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I may just have to detour to the east and then cut back into Colorado later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks everyone, I may just have to detour to the east and then cut back into Colorado later.
At last count we had a total of 8 fires burning in New Mexico. You won't be able to come through our state and avoid smoke.

That is 8 active fires right now, and the promise of many more once the 4th of July weekend is over. For some reason this state does not want to forbid (outlaw) the use of fireworks, even though we are a tender box waiting to go up in smoke. Been over 3 months since we have seen any moisture.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You will definately get some smoke on US285 from the Los Alamos fire as the smoke has crossed that highway every day. I could not tell you how much though, it depends on the wind speeds. The smoke was pretty bad on US 285 north of Espanola two days ago.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Coastie,

Here in the SE corner of the state, there has been no measurable precip since last September. We have nearly 300,000 acres blackend by fire since then. I'm old enough to remember the fifties, and this is as dry as it was then, although not yet for as long. We desperately need the rain. There is no question that New Mexico is burning, and will continue to do so till it rains a considerable amount. US70/380 is in danger of closures in the Hondo Valley between Roswell and Ruidoso as result of a HUGE fire to the south of that roadway that is basically yet uncontained.

PVT93, if you are riding north on US 285, you should be able to travel to Albuquerque, then a short distance north to Bernalillo, then northwest to Bloomfield and up to Durango with out any trouble. Any route further east is definitely subject to smoke and fire. Who knows where it will go ... a lot depends on the weather. You might be able to get to Santa Fe and then travel east on I-25 and up into Colorado that way, but I believe you'll be better off going west and north to get there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts