GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, mark in mesa here. i'd really like to get a satelite radio for my bike but all the posts i've read on this board and a few others have left me confused. there seem to be way to many options for radios, mounts, hook up kits, wiring "packages", etc. i just want a basic setup that will easily mount onto my bike, probably on the left side handlebar. any suggetions from those who currently have one? i'm leaning towards XM but i need some advise on mounting hardware and a good vendor. thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use an xm roady 2 with a bracket that mounts to the clutch fluid resivor.

If you dont change channels a lot you can leave it in the left fairing pocket.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I use the Sirius Starmate Replay mounted on a Hoon Mount. The one that is added to the clutch res. Works pretty good....reception is a bit spotty from time to time. Easy hook-up though. Better than FM or MP3 IMO.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I Have mine in the trunk don't change channel's much routed antena out mounted it on trunk rack works great. Hooked power to a keyed line so it turn's off with the key

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have my Roady 2 mounted with velcro on top of the left pocket. I have my pre-sets where I can just reach under the handlebar and push a button for the station I want. I also have a small zip lock baggy that I put over it for rainy conditions.

·
Registered
130 Posts
XM Roady with the Hoon mount. It has a water-resistant cover (nothing is truly waterproof on a motorcycle, I've discovered) that works great.

Be sure to get the XM antenna with a SHORT wire lead from Dallas Motorcycle at http://www.dallasmotorcycles.com/XM_Radio/xmindex.htm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SIRIUS is the best

I have had both XM & SIRIUS, and the SIRIUS is far better as far as programing goes, there is no noticable difference in the signals. Wife has XM in her Yukon and after riding with me she hates the XM.
Glenn in the Mississippi Delta

·
Registered
180 Posts
i use the roady xt and the mounts that cam with it. the double side tape works great even in Vegas heat. no probs yet. have it mounted on the emblem above the gas door. and the antenna on the dash no wires seen.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I got a Sirius radio from my bride for Christmas. My question is about the antenna. Will it work under the trunk plastic? Does it have to be open air? I know the GPS antenna will work as long as it isn't covered by metal and was hoping the satelite radio would work the same. Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
648 Posts
KISS....... Choose the server of your choice and mount it in a stable place. I mounted my RoadyII on top of the Honda emblem above the gas tank door with super velcor. Run the wires where they don't show much, put a harness around them where they come into the radio to keep them grouped. I personally don't want it on the handle bars, etc moving all time and the wires running up there.{ KISS}.. My method nothing extra to buy but a cigar outlet for the left storage pod,works for me and I LOVE my setup and the music that comes from it. Just nothing like it, my GL1800 and the great music flowing from the XM. Catch Big 10 football games in the fall and Nascar races.

Good luck and IMHO either service is a winner with + & - on both sides.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a Clarion Calypso Sirius with integral FM modulator mounted with RAM mount on left handlebar, antenna routed to inside top of false trunk lid and power connected to bike's power plug beneath left fairing pocket. It plays through the audio/intercom system on the bike so I can still hear audible prompts from my Streetpilot III GPS that mutes the satellite radio when it is on. I bought the power connector from Lewis at Electrical Connection. I bought this setup on Ebay that came with inside antenna with home kit and auto kit (that I use on the bike) including auto antenna for $80 used. I tried mounting the antenna on top of the clutch reservoir but didn't get consistent reception so I routed it back to the trunk and now rarely lose signal unless driving through tree canopy or around very tall hills/mountains. Works great!!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
mark05 said:
hi all, mark in mesa here. i'd really like to get a satelite radio for my bike but all the posts i've read on this board and a few others have left me confused. there seem to be way to many options for radios, mounts, hook up kits, wiring "packages", etc. i just want a basic setup that will easily mount onto my bike, probably on the left side handlebar. any suggetions from those who currently have one? i'm leaning towards XM but i need some advise on mounting hardware and a good vendor. thanks
Mark,
Do a Google search on satellite radio. Somewhere out there, there is a web site that compares XM and Sirius but I don't recall where I found it.

I also us a Hoon (or similar) mount and it works great with my XM Roady2 and my Sirius Starmate. It also provides for storage of the long antenna cords. :wink:

I agree with the statement above that Sirius has better programming, but as I recall XM has more satellites up (better coverage/reception?).

I think you will like either one you choose, just don't spend the big bucks that some vendors charge for m/c kits for the sat radios. :cry:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Mark,
Here is the Serius/XM comparison site I mentioned. I can't vouch for the reliability of the info there, but it appears you can find "Everything you always wanted to know, but were afraid to ask" about sat radio. :wink:

http://radio.about.com/library/blsatellitechart.htm

Good Luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
XM

I just keep mine in the left fairing pocket all the time. The rig is turned on to the station I like and is heard thru the FM radio tuner. Out of sight, weatherproof and I am not tempted to change channels and be distracted from the road in front of me. The antenna is velcro'd to the top of the dashboard. As far as XM vs Sirius, as I see it, it is a toss up. Enjoy.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
NL7U

Do you run CW on the road ?? I have two micro-switches mounted on the right handle bar and do CW in motion from the Wing :lol:

73 de KA7W

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
On my 04, I had a Roady mounted on the Honda emblem.

It kept getting hit by the handlebars when locking the steering.

On my 07 I used a Hoon mount on the brake resevoir. Like it much better. Can see it better and it's more stable. Easier to change channels as it is a more solid mount.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've got the Roady II on the left bar with a Hoon mount. I changed the radio mount to a flat one and hot glued the craddle to it. This stopped the vibration that would sometimes cause the radio to turn off. I also have a rubber band around the whole thing so I'm sure it stays in place. I run it through the AUX port with a ground loop isolator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Mark, Dave down in Tucson here. Both my buddy and I have Sirius radio installed on our wings and are really happy with the set up. We use a mount from Cycle Gadgets that we slightly modified, placed the antenna on the rear trunk ( used the signal meter and found the sweet spot) and then ran the signal through a Sirius FM relay into the FM radio ( preset#1).
It all works great with no interference or engine noise at all. I then used the aux input for my GPS/mp3 player ( I had to use a Kennedy ground loop isolator here to get rid of engine whine). PM me if you need more info. If you like take a ride down some day and check it out in person.
Good luck / Dave

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
magek said:
I got a Sirius radio from my bride for Christmas. My question is about the antenna. Will it work under the trunk plastic? Does it have to be open air? I know the GPS antenna will work as long as it isn't covered by metal and was hoping the satelite radio would work the same. Anyone tried this?
I have heard that it will.....but have not tried. I think there are some areas of the country(based on the angle to the satellite) where the antenna mounted on a bike is a bit spotty becuase of the surface area or lack thereof on a motorcycle. On a car roof there is no problem because the metal roof amplifies the signal some. I have used mine on both car adn bike and the car gets much more consistantly good reception for sure.
Mine on the bike is a bit spotty sometimes, even whren there is apparently nothing that should imped the signal. I don't understand all I know about this situation.....just trying to give you some info. It's probably worth what you paid for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts