GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
GWRR said:
Any big differences between XM and Serius radio systems?
On a purely technical level, no not really... Mostly cosmetic.

IMO anyone thinking about satellite radio should take advantage of the trial periods both XM and Sirius offers. Listen to each one and then decide which one fits your taste better. Then move on to picking out which radio you want. Don't forget that there are many manufactures of radios.

For XM I absolutely love my Pioneer Inno. I've had all the delphi radios except for the myfi and roadyxt. Nothing I have used can even compare to the Inno.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
satelitte radios

Do you have to get a receiver that is particular to either XM or Serius or do all receivers work for both?

·
Registered
206 Posts
You need a receiver that is specific to the service, XM or Sirius. I don't know of any product that will work with both. You also need to subscribe, and they both run somehwere around $12 a month.

From a technical perspective, the only real difference is the location of the satellites. Sirius uses three satellites in moving orbits that are centered over the north central US. XM uses geosynchronous satellite(s) over the equator. As a result, Sirius sometimes performs better in northern areas because the satellite is higher in the sky than XM. You may or may not notice a difference in your use or your area.

Programming wise, they are similar. Each offers some programming not available on the other, so if there is a particular personality, or sport, etc., that is important, check the details of what each offers.

I personally have had (not currently active) Sirius, and while travelling on the bike really enjoyed having it. Problem is, when I'm not out on road trips, I never used it and couldn't see spending $12 a month for nothing. So I cancelled my subscription and will re-subscribe in the spring before I do any major travelling.

Carl

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
I have the Delphi for XM on my bike. I travel and rent a car every week on business. Lately I have been getting cars with SIRRUS in them. I like Howard Stern, Classic Vinyl and The Vault stations alot. I think FOR ME Sirrius may be more to my liking than XM.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have the Roady XT for XM and use it on the bike and in the car. Truthfully, the only reason I ended up with XM is because of the Roady. I'm guessing the services are the same with the exception of Stern, etc as others have said. I don't think I could ever go back to regular radio.

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
FUSE said:
GWRR said:

IMO anyone thinking about satellite radio should take advantage of the trial periods both XM and Sirius offers. Listen to each one and then decide which one fits your taste better. Then move on to picking out which radio you want. Don't forget that there are many manufactures of radios.

For XM I absolutely love my Pioneer Inno. I've had all the delphi radios except for the myfi and roadyxt. Nothing I have used can even compare to the Inno.
Not so fast FUSE.... Check out this link..

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/sirius.html

Matt(Ashland,MA) :flg: :biker:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Fuse ---can you move the music from the inno to anything else I'm told no by a retail store guy I like the size and price is dropping, but told you can't move the file on inno to your computer, is this so? man I like the little chopper thats cool is it yours?
First question I've had XM since get go, wow $327.00 for My first Radio I just bought a couple roady 2's with truckers kit for $29.00 a while back, can't imagine being without xm for the scooter these days, all cars truck at work and bike all rigged for satellite, plus garage

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Matt(Ashland said:
FUSE said:
GWRR said:

Not so fast FUSE.... Check out this link..

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/sirius.html

Matt(Ashland,MA) :flg: :biker:
:?: :?: :?:

I said mostly, the way the satellites orbit are a very minor thing really... Plus, I was talking about the radio systems since that was the question.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
upssnowman said:
Fuse ---can you move the music from the inno to anything else I'm told no by a retail store guy I like the size and price is dropping, but told you can't move the file on inno to your computer, is this so? man I like the little chopper thats cool is it yours?
No, you can not move music recorded from XM from the inno to your computer.

No, the helicopter in my pic is not mine. They are outgrageously expensive, for a brand new R22 your will spend around $220,000. Used you will spend around $140,000+. The one in the pic is the one from my school, and that particular one is actually the one that I did my first solo in. I am currently now flying a mariner version. One with floats on it to land in the water.

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
FUSE said:
upssnowman said:
No, you can not move music recorded from XM from the inno to your computer.

No, the helicopter in my pic is not mine. They are outgrageously expensive, for a brand new R22 your will spend around $220,000. Used you will spend around $140,000+. The one in the pic is the one from my school, and that particular one is actually the one that I did my first solo in. I am currently now flying a mariner version. One with floats on it to land in the water.
Soon you MAY be able to do that via Sirius due to talks between Microsoft and Sirius..I think they are trying to compete with the infamous "IPOD"

I can't wait to see what happens.....

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
fuse

Fuse,

I am not trying to be confrontational, I just wanted to inject some other information that some may deem useful....

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Fuse --Thanks I appreciate it, nice to be flying one of those
Matt-- Thanks always to all for input, it is appreciated
yes the inno and the other one look cool but this is what has stopped Me from buying, I suppose using the standard work around it could be done this way but yes things are changing all the time , if 'Bill's boys get involved it will probably be all screwed up, thata a shame, thanks guys

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great information all - I appreciate it as I'm considering getting sattilite radio for my new Wing. Gotta 2 more questions though......... As Silver -05 mentioned, I will only be using this on the bike, so will I be able to subscribe to just the summer months and put my account on hold until the following summer? I'm planning on getting the Sirius system if that makes a differance. Also if I kept my account active for the entire year, is it difficult to transfer from bike to car/car to bike? Thanks all! Cliff

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wing777 said:
As Silver -05 mentioned, I will only be using this on the bike, so will I be able to subscribe to just the summer months and put my account on hold until the following summer?
I was not able to "suspend" my account for that long - I think there was a 2 month limit on suspending. So I cancelled. The cost to reactivate is something like $15, so it is cost effective for me to go ahead and close the account and open it again when riding season resumes.

Policies change though, so you should probably give both Sirius and XM a call and ask them that specific question.

Carl

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just bought a Delphi SkyFi2 XM Radio. Paid $35 with car kit off eBay. Good decision??

·
Registered
264 Posts
I went with Sirius because they carry the NFL games and one of the teams we like is never broadcast here. I purchased an additiional car kit and mounted it on my bike, so I can move the reciever to whichever I am using.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mike Byerly said:
I heard Sirius has an "Elvis Only" channel !

I would like that.

Mike
If you love Elvis, that's the channel to listen to. On Sunday mornings they'll do Elvis gospel music. I got Sirius for NFL and Stern and have no complaints with the service or reception.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts