GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck shortening your satellite antenna wire?

I mean really, $49.95 for a Sirius antenna with 6 inch wire? Someone had to shorten it, right?

Have solder gun, willing to attempt it.

:wink:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've heard of varying results. Some trashed it and others have been successful. If you're going to get one anyway, I'd try it and post your results. I have about 19 feet of it coiled under my left fairing pocket too. If you search around though, I think around $25 is the norm for a shorter antenna.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My XM antenna cable (mini-coax) was cut during an accident. I sliced it back together, and shortened it to about 4 feet in the process.

Here's how I did it.

1) Cut the cable,
2) Peel back the outer sheath about 2 inches on both sides. Pull a 2 inch length of shrink wrap over one end of the cable.
3) Peel back the outer conductor (mesh)
4) Trim back the insulation on the inner conductor about 3/4 to 1 inch
5) Slide a 1 inch length of the thinnest shrink-wrap you can find over one of the ends.
6) Clean the inner conductor with alcohol.
7) Twist the center conductors together and solder.
8 ) Pull the shrink wrap over the center conductor and shrink it.
9) Pull the outer conductor (mesh) over the shrink wrap. It should overlap. If it doesn't, take a small piece of wire and connect the mesh.
10) Pull the outer shrink wrap over the cable and shrink it.

Try it out. If it works. Bonus. If it doesn't work, order one.

You've lost nothing but a little time and got some soldering practice.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I bought and tried one of the antennas with the short lead and it would not work, I could not get any reception. I ended up buying a new one with the long lead and it works great.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Rumor from the equipment manufacturers is that the antenna is tuned and they take the length of the cables into consideration.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just remove the gauge cover, tape the antenna to a slightly bigger piece of aluminum sheeting, place it on top of the two large gauges, run the lead around and under the left side plastics, up the left handle bar with the power cord and aux radio in cable, (leave plenty of slack for turning), velcro the radio to the left clutch fluid housing. Return the remainder of the antenna lead back down the handle bar and under the left pocket. Hook the power line into the 12 volt aux power cord with sirius (I used a like socket connector), the aux line into the radio aux hook up. Zip tie everything together up the handle bar and under the left pocket. Put the gauge cover back on.

I also cut a piece of vaccum line down the middle and hid ALL of my leads going along the left handle bar inside it. Looks just like another cable.

Clean setup, great signal, everything is out of sight except the radio and costs nothing except for the velcro and zip ties, not counting any leads you may need. No cutting and easy to remove if needed.

A

·
0 Posts
All you have to do is disassemble the antenna, de-solder the connection, cut the wire to the length you want, re-solder, then re-assemble the antenna.

My reception was not degraded by shortening the antenna lead.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I made a plate to mount it on, tapped it for the bike antenna stud, wrapped the extra around the base of the antenna.
And I don't need the noise suppressor for the Aux input jack. The XM picks up great and transmits to the FM without any interference.

·
Registered
138 Posts
goldwingnut said:
I made a plate to mount it on, tapped it for the bike antenna stud, wrapped the extra around the base of the antenna.
And I don't need the noise suppressor for the Aux input jack. The XM picks up great and transmits to the FM without any interference.

That looks like great & very clever set-up!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I succeeded in shortening my antenna wire. Since I had a couple extra XM antennas, I chose to use one of them for the experiment.

I opened one up, figured out what the setup was, and cut the wire. Soldered it back together, and it appears to work. I made the wire about 8 inches long. I will have to get some pics and post them.

Thanks for the encouragement to proceed!

lol

:lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
ammeaux said:
All you have to do is disassemble the antenna, de-solder the connection, cut the wire to the length you want, re-solder, then re-assemble the antenna.

My reception was not degraded by shortening the antenna lead.
How do you open up the antenna? Couldn't really see any way into it and didn't want to disable it by doing a lot of prying.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This applies to the XM antenna.

Remove the sticker on the bottom of the antenna. You will see 4 small screws. Remove those and the antenna will "fall apart". I do not remember prying on it to open it up. As it opens up, just make note of how so you can put it back together.

The antenna portion was soldered in 5 points, the four corners and the heat sink(?). I only opened up the three corners and pryed back the shield.

Heated up the two connection points of the antenna wire and removed. Cut the wire to the length desired. Slide some shrink wrap on to mimic the wire protection on the original end. Strip back the insulation to what you need to reassemble, and start soldering.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used the antenna from my Roady, but am using the XM antenna on my Sirius Sportster unit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts