1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Well they are real proud of that system........
I bought the same radio from amazon.com, minus the rain cover. I am using a mount from Hoon hardware that I think I paid $40 several years ago.
I bought a secong power chord and antenna so I could move the radio to my PU w/o taking all the stuff off the bike.........

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I had the opportunity to pick a Roady II XL for $80.00 at Best Buy and added it to my collection. I also have the MyFi, both beaming in XM radio. I can't comment on Sirius, but thoroughly enjoy the XM channels.

I mounted the Roady to Tom Finch's Texelent bar and ran the power through an accessory plug (Roady requires 5v, vice 12v from the system). I actually prefer the Roady to the MyFi, at least for the bike. So the MyFi is relegated to inside duty and is hooked up through my stereo system in the office. The Roady now has the duty of keeping me entertained while on the road on Skeeter.

By the way, the Roady comes with a full compliment of attachments, including the cradle, power source, antenna, and of course, hooks into your on-board stereo system through a mini-stereo plug.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have XM using the Roady 2 which I mount in my car or Wing as I feel the need. Takes me a few seconds to change. I do have two antennas. One I have mounted on my cars roof which I never mess with. The other antenna is mounted on my clutch fluid reservoir with velcro. I shortened the antenna cable and have no problems with reception. You can always roll it up and tie it out of sight. I mount the Roady 2 with velcro right in front of me over the Honda Logo. Works fine and easy to switch. I get the power from my left glove box pocket where I have a cig. lighter adapter.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I got the Sirius set-up...the Starmate Replay. It came witheverything for the car of course. I added a Hoon mount and the AUX cable from EC. This way I have all the cables plus a cradle for use inthe car. All I need to do it take the radio of the bike and put it in the car cradle. I cut off the cigarrette lighter plug end for dc power from the kit to be used on the wing, and hardwired it to a new honda type connector from EC. You wouldneed another dc power adaptor for the car if you do this.

Do not spend over 200 dollars for that stuff above......jsut get a Hoon mount ($35, and an AUX, and new power cable.....probably another $25. You'll be RTG. Oh, and you may need an isolator......40-50 bucks or so, maybe less.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I did the same as ElBando, but mounted the antenna to the top of the left mirror. The Roady 2 works great in the car sitting next to the shifter, and at home I plugged the Roady into a set of powered computer speakers and A/C adapter and it works just fine. I bought an extra Antenna for home and put it by the window. Total into this is maybe 50 bucks. Set up a friends newer Roady xl the same way and no problems. He paid $70 for the radio.
When I get off the bike I set my gloves over the radio and helmet over the right side handlebar and it holds the gloves in place. All three wires are in a black plastic wire loom and come out right next to the intercom harness.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
When it comes to mobility in a satellite radio where you want to use it in several places, it is hard to beat the Delphi SkyFi2 model. I still have the original SkyFi myself, but I use it on my Wing, in my SUV and also in my home. Unlike most receivers, this model was built to remove from the cradle quickly and easily over and over again without damaging any part of the unit, and it can be done in a few seconds.

The receiver does require a cradle at each place that you use it so you will need to purchase that for any location, but once you have that done the radio is pretty hard to beat in how nicely it performs. The SkyFii2 records the last 30 minutes of whatever it is tuned to. If you have to leave, just pause the live broadcast, so you don�t miss a thing. The SkyFi2 can save the names of up to 20 songs using the TuneSelect feature, and alert you when any one of them is playing on XM. You can create a scrolling stock quote list, and select from more scrolling options, such as sports scores. Lastly, it has a nice display so it is pretty hard to read wherever you are unlike many units.

Works great, very mobile and stores nicely when you want to remove it from the bike. I've used mine for the last 90,000 miles or so and it's been a great addition to the bike.

DaleC

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Hey Big Daddy. I did this for a year. I had the XM SkiFi II. It sits in a cradle. I just pop it out and pop it in the car's cradle. That simple. The other XM radios have very small buttons, too small for me when I am wearing gloves.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I don't know if I have done anything unique but what I've done is, I've got the Sirius Sportster satellite receiver with a docking station for my truck as well as my Goldwing.

The receiver on my Goldwing is mounted completely out of sight in the trunk using an IR remote system like used at home when you have several components hidden in cabinets.

The only disadvantage is that you can't see the display of the receiver. With the pre-set buttons on the remote to change programs with the IR sensor mounted somewhere on the fairing.

The satellite receiver is out of the weather, out of the view of other people and you don't have to remove it if you don't want to.

I just don't like the idea of hanging things on the handlebars.

I haven't got this system mounted on my GL1800 yet but I did have it on my '94 GL1500 SE.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Use XM Sky Fi, mounted it on the left pocket door on both the trike and bike and it will take about 3 seconds to change from bike to trike to pickup to car to boom box in shop, takes longer to walk to get it than to remove it and put it some place else.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your info. I decided to get the Roady XT for its size. I'll let it sit in the fairing pocket mostly, easy to deal with that way and good for rain. I may velcro/mount it to the fairing pocket if I need to change stations alot. I picked up 2 of the car units for $55 at Walmart and just hooked one up to my car and will hook up to the wing after I install a power outlet in the fairing pocket. Its great to have all the commercial free choices, should have done it sooner but had mp3 player. I like the idea of keeping it in the fairing pocket and not huge hardware on my handlebars, I'm also liking the Garmin i5 for the same reason, stick on the windscreen, power it with 2 AA batteries and stick it on the VFR or Car when needed.

Thanks gang,

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts