GL1800Riders Forums banner

Satellite Radio for those who don't have it YET

2K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  xxxrider 
#1 ·
I just installed a satellite radio on my wing and it was quite a step.. Not only do you get great quality sound but it is an ENDLESS stream of tens of thousands of songs that are catagorized into a system to give you HOURS of great entertainment... You really do not realize how wonderful it is until you have it.. No more Play lists or devices to load, no crappy FM or AM reception or programing, No rippoff CD player that Stops working every time you hit a bump.. Weather you get Sirius or XM (both have music and comedy and sports) it really does open up a door that makes a long ride a very nice experence... Just for the cost of the Honda CD player alone you could buy a satellite reciever and afford a few YEARS of fees!!!

IMHO it is money well spent!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :duck: :excited: :chat:

#5 ·
I've had XM Radio in my Silverado for a couple of years (since I purchased the truck). This June, shortly after purchasing the GoldWing, my wife and I went on a trip and it was then that I decided I needed sat. radio for the Wing.

I missed the uninterruped music, but more importantly, with sat. radio there is no longer the need to constantly search out our style of music on long trips...only 1 station required, coast to coast.

Purchased a Roady XT shortly after returning home, but needed filters on the aux. input and power line. Installed these the first of this week and we went on an overnight trip afterwards (just returned this afternoon) and could not be anymore satisfied with the sat. radio on the Wing.

An added plus, the radio can be moved into the house when not in use on the Wing.

Jim

#6 ·
I'll pass. Just not interested in another monthly bill to listen to someone else's play list. But I'm glad you all enjoy it. I might hook up an MP3 player one of these days... not in a rush though.

My CD player hasn't skipped once. And I have to cross a few speed bumps every day. And it sounds great. I think that's due to the premium sound system though. 8)

#8 ·
I installed an XM radio on my bike because I can't get FM reception when I'm far from town. When I rode from San Diego to Seattle a few weeks ago, I didn't have to search for a nearby station, my favorite stations follow me wherever I go.

#9 ·
8)

The smartest investment that I've added to the Wing yet for me personally, there are places we ride in the middle of no where in NC and VA where I could not find anythin' local to listen to (I guess I'm picky).
Rode from Va Beach to Covington Ky and back in just under 30 hours 8) listened to my station ch 19 Buzzsaw on Sirius the whole time with zero issues, just to pick up our newest addition a Time Out camper from a board member. :wink:
Good deal all the way around. :wink: 8) :lol: :beer3: :yes:

:flg:

#13 ·
Matt, I'm disappointed. I would have expected a picture of an angry mob screaming "We want satellite radio like you American infidels have"

You're slipping bud :lol:

#15 ·
I once said, I will never pay a monthly fee to listen to a radio station. Then when our local oldies station changed format to rap, I found that the only way to listen to what I wanted was with satelite radio. So I bit the bullet and bought one. Two months later I bought my second one, and now have three. Once you have one, you wonder how you did with out it for so long.

#16 ·
White Wing said:
Matt, I'm disappointed. I would have expected a picture of an angry mob screaming "We want satellite radio like you American infidels have"

You're slipping bud :lol:

EVEN WE CAN NOT DISPUTE THE IMFORMATION MATT HAS SPEWED FROM HIS INFIDEL LIKE LUNGS!!!!!!!

BESIDES YOU CAN'T HEAR US YOU ALL LISTENING TO YOUR MAGIC MUSIC BOX!!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :drive1: :flg:

#18 ·
alos if you like sports

xm has all the big ten football games on

i can listen to the badgers no matter where i am

and espn ports talk radio all the time as well

my factory am-fm radio sucks, but the xm rules

and if you have a radio in your car

the bike one is $7 a month

we have it on both our bikes

#19 ·
Have XM in the truck, had it on the Wing and removed it from the bike. I lost reception way too many times riding in the NJ/NY area and also other places on East Coast. Seems almost like a Line of Sight problem. I ride 1 road every day and know EXACTLY where the XM will fade out. When I go into the town, I can drive to one street and tell within a couple of feet where it will die. Took it off the Wing and added Ipod. Now I listen to MY playlist that I make up and put in. 3000+ songs, which means I will run out of music some time, but not soon. I can listen to it in the house and record any music I want from it and then just put it on the Ipod for later playing...

#20 ·
For the northern tier of states, Sirius is a better choice due to the positioning of the satellites (Sirius are more overhead, XM are geosynchronous over the equator). I've driven in all of the lower 48 states and 9 Canadian Provinces with Sirius and have had very few dropouts. My antenna was on the top of the clutch reservoir.

Had Sirius for several years on my 1500 and enjoyed it. Problem is, I never used it when I wasn't riding, and decided I didn't need to pay every month over the winter. So I shut it off last week and will re-activate the account next summer before any major trips.

Carl

#21 ·
Redneck Dave said:
8)

The smartest investment that I've added to the Wing yet for me personally,
Just so I can get a comparison on this, what other investments have you made?

Of all the stuff I put on mine, I don't know what was the smartest. Maybe the backrest if I had to choose. If I had to give up every add on except for one I'd keep the backrest. I like the things like spoiler, ROF, floorboards, hitch... some of that was for looks though. To be "smart" I'd guess it needs to be functional in some way.

Hmmm... maybe that would make an interesting topic...

#22 ·
I have XM and I have to say I am not certain I like the play selection. I like older rock and roll so I will listen to the 60's or 70's or XM channels 40 or 41. I will see a song I like, say like "the Doobie Bros" tune it in, listen to the half of a song remaining and then they will go to "the Captain and Tenniel" argh!!!. I seldom can just leave it on one station, drives me nuts. Reminds me of the AM stations out in the boonies that try to please everyone from Country to Heavy Metal.

#23 ·
jafi_fink said:
I have XM and I have to say I am not certain I like the play selection. I like older rock and roll so I will listen to the 60's or 70's or XM channels 40 or 41. I will see a song I like, say like "the Doobie Bros" tune it in, listen to the half of a song remaining and then they will go to "the Captain and Tenniel" argh!!!. I seldom can just leave it on one station, drives me nuts. Reminds me of the AM stations out in the boonies that try to please everyone from Country to Heavy Metal.
This is why I chose Sirius after listening to each during their 3 day internet trial.

G
#24 ·
I thoroughly enjoy my sat radio. I tried the personal music path, but in my situation, I go through the music too fast. I drive for a living, and listen to the radio at 10 to 12 hours a day. Add that to my bike riding time, and I listen 60 - 80 hours a week. Even an 80 gig iPod can't hold enough music for me.

With sat radio, not only do I have music which I enjoy, but I also have things like XM weather, news, Nascar, old time radio, and XM trafic. Another advantage of satellite radio is that I can expose myself to music genres that I would never hear otherwise. I listen to rock mostly, but I also enjoy oldies, big band, jazz, blues, bluegrass, old classic country, and some folk music. You just cannot cover all those genres with a personal music device. Finally, with a personal music device, you have already heard every song you put on that device. With satellite radio, you get to hear new music in whatever genre you prefer.

You guys can brag about your ipods, MP3 players, CD players, etc, but until you can get the flexiblity of satellite radio out of those devices, then there is no competition.

On the other hand, if you are someone who only listens for a few hours a week, then I guess those antequated personal music devices are for you.

#25 ·
MP3........I like my own playlist,too. Here's my solution:
http://www.amazon.com/mobiBLU-DAH-1500i ... B000EGTCEK

I have the 1 gig model. It had a warranty issue, couldn't find the receipt, their tech support person was great! They repaired it and I'm rolling again. Pros: small size and weight, versatile EQ, 6-8 hour battery life. Make sure the model you buy includes the accessory AC charger. Lots of other features I don't use. Cons: menus aren't intuitive. When I have an excuse I'll get the 2G model.

#26 ·
I love XM Radio as I have it on all 3 of my cars and my Golf Cart and now I had to have it on my Silver Wing (a Silver VTX with so much stuff on it my friends call it The Silver Wing).

I bought the Garmin 2730 with XM Radio and it works really great most of the time. However, when I am riding in between tall trees on either side of the road such as in North Carolina I lose the XM signal so I have now bought a 30 gig IPOD with Video and have stored 1800 songs on it which are just KILLER songs and no sleepers. I have created a lot of different Playlists so when I lose the signal or want to hear a certain group of songs I can switch over to the IPOD or play it in Random Mode. What a great combo.

Also, I can play the IPOD around the swimming pool or on the airplane with my Bose Quiet Comfort 2 Noise Cancelling Headphones but XM Radio gives you surprises, songs that you don't have on your MP3 player so when I hear a killer song that is the only great song on the CD, I simply go to ITUNES and pay $.99 for it and I keep adding great songs to my IPOD because I am listening to XM Radio. Ain't technology GREAT!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.