GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys – thought I’d check with the experts here…..

I’ve read a lot of post on this subject – so I don’t know which is the best way to turn now. My questions are mostly for the members who have “already been there, done that”.

1. If you had it to do over again, would you choose another type radio or setup?
2. XM, Sirius ? Leaning toward the XM model.
3. Kind of model? Leaning toward putting the receiver in the right lockable pocket, since I understand most of the time users find a channel they like and leave it there.
4. I want to use the AUX input, not FM modulator. If I have the CB in operation also, when transmission is received or transmitted – will the AUX input be overridden / blanked out as the radio would be? Have already ordered the “ground loop insulator” and “inline pwr noise filter” from EC.
5. Antenna location: I like the trunk idea – up under the top cover, but I have a trunk rack installed and this will probably interfere with reception. Under the front dash cover?, Good idea to keep it out of sight, out of mind for potential thieves – but does it work great there also?
6. Any other great ideas y'all could provide?

BTW: This site is a great resource for all GoldWing riders out there.
I used to have a Venture Royale and the Venture's web site was just as impressive with a wealth of information from fellow riders....

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey BigDaddy. I've had XM for over a year now, and as the old ad goes, "don't leave home without it." Only problem I've ever had was up north around Quebec. The signal cuts out much more frequently up there than it does down south here in Texas.

I have a Pioneer unit that is installed in the trunk where the CD player would go. Ran all the cables to the front and hooked into the AUX line of the audio system. I have the "tuner" mounted just under the ignition key in a little plastic bag that keeps moisture out (mostly). I've got one of the older antennas, so its mounted on my left fairing pocket - newer ones can be mounted in or on the humb in the trunk. Lots of new options out there to make installation easier, but as stated above, I love it!

Oh yeah, the music does cut out with CB traffic live.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
1. If you had it to do over again, would you choose another type radio or setup?
I like my Delphi SkyFi, but a lot of people are leaning toward the smaller, sleaker Roady. I liked the idea of easy portability.

Now that XM is commercial-free music, the choice of provider will probably lean toward content and payment plans. I like the XM's new Weather and Traffic feeds, as well as the family plan they offer for additional units. Make sure you preview each system's content to make sure you like what you're buying.

3. Kind of model? Leaning toward putting the receiver in the right lockable pocket, since I understand most of the time users find a channel they like and leave it there.
This would be an interesting poll question - I personally can't imagine never changing the channel. Sometimes I just want to try something different, or want to listen to the Comedy Channel or something like that. Now that they have weather and traffic, and I use my bike to get in and around Seattle, I imagine I'll be hitting that realtime traffic channel quite often. I put mine on the LH handlebar to make it easy for me to access. It pops out easily when I get off for a while and it's easy to cover if/when it ever rains.

4. I want to use the AUX input, not FM modulator. If I have the CB in operation also, when transmission is received or transmitted – will the AUX input be overridden / blanked out as the radio would be? Have already ordered the “ground loop insulator” and “inline pwr noise filter” from EC.
No CB on mine, but I'd have to guess that it would do that.

5. Antenna location: I like the trunk idea – up under the top cover, but I have a trunk rack installed and this will probably interfere with reception. Under the front dash cover?, Good idea to keep it out of sight, out of mind for potential thieves – but does it work great there also?
There have been many locations posted for the antenna, and probably just as many reports that people have had trouble at these locations. I started with it on the brake reservoir since it was close (and provided a metal ground plane as well) and knew that it would be easier to move the antenna further away, if needed then it would be to take the time to run the wiring from the trunk and then find out that I had dropouts... :evil: It works great for me there so far. I'm thinking that for ease of service, I may make a bracket that mounts the antenna directly behind the radio so I can easily get to my reservoir.

After my Utopia, this has to be my favorite addition. I can't imagine taking a long ride now without it. Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Delphi Skyfi is the only way I would go !!!

Holly has a SkyFi on her trike & I have one on my 1800. Ours is plugged into the AUX plug & works GREAT. It will cut out just like your radio when Some one is talking on the CB. We mounted the antenna on the dash on both bike & trike & it also works great. XM is the only way to go they have 20 times the listeners as the other one. We like the SkyFi because it is portable. You can put it in your car, house, garage. I haven't listened to the radio for over a year. Holly thought it was a waste of money until she started listening to it. Good Luck with your choice.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
BigDaddy said:
Hey Guys – thought I’d check with the experts here…..

I’ve read a lot of post on this subject – so I don’t know which is the best way to turn now. My questions are mostly for the members who have “already been there, done that”.

1. Nope. I did my homework and am satisfied with my decision.
2. XM.
3. Roady. I can't imagine just using one channel... I have to have mine somewhere that I can change it.
4. I use the Aux for input. It is crystal clear. Can't comment about operation with the CB, I don't have one.
5. My antenna is on top of the left rear speaker cover.
6. The Roady is very portable from car to car to the office. Very easy.

How about a picture of my install? A clean and small unit. Only slightly larger than a deck of playin gcards. Much more appealing to me than the larger SkyFi and its base. Just compare to the picture in the last post.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
A satellite radio is certainly an exceptional addition to a Goldwing if you like to travel and listen to great clear music and radio, have a wide variety of choices and don't like to "have to" change stations because you've gone out of the reception area.

I have the Delphi SkiFi XM radio and would not change for another model or service. It's small, but I can read the display. Plus it's portable to move to the car, my office, and my garage along with the Wing.

I did opt for the FM modulator and did not want to go the auxillary connection. I would do the same again and like what it gives me.

If you get the service (either one), get a multi year contract and save a good amount of money and inconvenience over a monthly pay. A 2 year contract on XM saves you 4 months in costs.

The advantages of Sirius being commercial free verses XM, which were really somewhat misleading since I've always had 30 commercial free stations, are now even less since February 1st XM is going 100% commercial free on all their music stations.

Even though the SkyFi is not the newest, I still consider it easily among the best.

DaleC

·
Registered
75 Posts
What about rain on your XM Radio?

I have been strongly considering an XM radio, but not sure if I would invest in one until they make a waterproof unit.

·
Registered
307 Posts
1. Nope, very happy
2.Sirius.... had an XM, didn't like it
3.Audiovox with FM modulator, has larger buttons so you can change the channel with gloves on. If I have 100 plus channels to listen to, I'm gonna try to listen to 'em.
4.I believe it works the same as the factory radio, when the CB transmits it cuts out the radio audio. The CB squelch adjusts the cut out for incoming CB audio. Aux input should be the same, but I haven't tried it.
5. Had the XM antenna under the trunk, it didn't work very well.Changed to the Sirius setup, and have antenna on the dash, works great there.
6.Here's the best idea..... Go to the XM web site and the Sirius web site and listen to the programming. A lot of it is the same, but there is a lot that is different. Sirius has NPR, XM has Nascar. The music is different too. I did not like the XM rock channels as well as I do the Sirius ones. With the FM modulated unit, I can put this thing in any car,truck or boat that has a radio and a cig lighter. I've been told that the FM Modulater converts the audio tfrom digital to analog, and it mioght, but I sure can't tell the difference when I'm ridding my bike at 60 MPH and I'll bet you can't either. Bottom line......... do some research and get the one that suits your tastes and you'll be very happy :wink:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong (it's happened at least once before :wink: ), but I think the only real differences between the Roady and the SkyFi are the type of connections.

The Roady has three cables that have to be disconnected when the unit is removed. The SkyFi sits in a cradle that provides all the connections necessary, so no plugging or unplugging is necessary. A small locking tab on the back of the cradle will release it. (I also added a small velcro cloth that helps hold it in place when I go "pothole cruising")

There is a silicone weatherproof cover available for the SkyFi unit, I'm not sure about the Roady.

I made the mistake one day of forgetting to take it off while I washed the bike - I was just hosing things off (no spray) and drenched it good... I took it off, shook it out and let it dry in the sun - no harm, no foul.

·
Registered
359 Posts
XM Antenna

We have installed over 50 XM radios at my shop. With the new smaller antenna we remove the meter panel. Then we velcro the antenna to the inside of the removed panel on the lip above the speedo. Then run the wire around to the left pocket and coil up excess there. We then usually mount the radio above the Goldwing logo. When you reinstall the meter panel the antenna will be invisible. Works great!!

Ride Safe & God Bless

Dan Kenney
Motovation Cycles & Accessories
Mechanicsville Maryland
www.motovationcycles.com

·
Registered
819 Posts
I really like my Sirius radio :D But its a old model that they don't make any more so I'm not much help :(

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
one thing for sure, once you get one you will love it. no more flipping for a signal.

also paying with a two year contract saves about 20 % on the fees.

loren

·
Registered
276 Posts
I prefer the XM and have installed about 20 or 25 of the Pioneer's. We typically mount the radio in the trunk where the CD player would normally go, then run the cable up top the front. This is not a waterproof installation, although it is fairly water resistant. I have ridden in some fairly heavy rains and like my Timex, it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'...

Normally we will paint the bezel either black or color matched to the bike. We also install a ground loop isolator and an IP adaptor and plug right into the AUX input. It works great, I would not even consider a road trip with my XM!

I have yet to install a Roady but they look like they will be a great unit too.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jon - where did you get the plastic cover for the Delphi SkiFi? Up until now I have used a regular ziploc sandwich bag and that works just fine, but if a regular cover was available I'd be interested in checking it out.

Thanks,

DaleC

·
Registered
146 Posts
1. No, I love the XM. Great reception just about everywhere I go.

2. XM. I've had it for some time now and since it's going commercial free, it's only getting better.

3. I currently have an older SONY model. When that craps out, I'm thinking about the XM Commander. You probably want ready access to the controller. While you never have to change channels, I do just for variety. I would rather have it accessable than trying to reach into the pocket while moving.

4. I use the AUX input as well and prefer it. Yes, when the CB receives, all music mutes.

5. I first tried in the trunk (no luggage rack). It worked OK solo, but two up it got marginal reception. The Satellites are not straight above us, but rather more toward the horizon. So the antenna has to have a good low angle line of sight. I moved mine to the top of the rear spoiler. WOrks great there, even two up. I do not have any plans for a rack. I would be concerned about reception under the dash - you would probably need to experiment. Generally, the more metal you can mount the antenna on (ground plane dependant models) and the fewer objects above and around the antenna, the better. It will "see" through plastic, but there is a reduction in signal. I don't worry much about theives. The antenna is of little value if they cut the wires and it would be pretty hard to dislodge. The controller is the real threat for getting stolen.

6. Definitely need the Ground Loop Isolator. If you don't want to have to turn the XM on individually every time you turn the key off, wire it hot all the time. While it's a minor inconvienence, when I turn on the bike after a quick gas stop I usually forget to turn on the XM too (the radio comes on with the key) and I ride in silence until I realize somethings missing!! I guess if I changed it I would probably forget to turn it off for overnight stops! Maybe some of the newer ones will turn on as soon as power is applied, but mine doesn't.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
As others have said........"Don't leave home without it"

I have had the Delphi Sky Fi unit for nearly a year and had no problems at all. The comedy channel is a good change of pace too on long trips.

I tried my antenna in the trunk first...... wasn't too bad but did drop out alot in the mountains with a passenger on. After I mounted a luggage rack it was worse.

I moved it to the top of the dash and it is as good as it gets now, almost never drops out.

When you do want to change the station, if it's in the right compartment, you won't be able to. I mounted mine in the left compartment so it's still outa sight and can be taken out easily to put in the trunk if prying eyes concern you.

I prefer to use the locked right compartment for more important things such as Cell Phone, house keyes, wallet.....etc. I also lined the inside of the right pocket with adhesive backed foam so things in there don't get scratched up.

Good Luck.... you will enjoy satellite radio whatever you choose.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
A cover for the Delphi SkyFi unit is available thru Cycle Gadgets - www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/?cat=AUDIO .

It's a bit pricey at $49.95

They also have a new platform to go between the Ram mount and the Roady or SkyFi for mounting the magnetic mount antenna. It runs $19.95. Again, a bit pricey for a piece of bent metal, but it is powder coated to prevent corrosion, and allows a nice mount for the antenna. (I bought one)

Now if they would make a nice cover for the Roady...............

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
hedoman said:
A cover for the Delphi SkyFi unit is available thru Cycle Gadgets - www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/?cat=AUDIO .

It's a bit pricey at $49.95

Now if they would make a nice cover for the Roady....
Good Lord!!! $49.95 is over half of what I paid for Roady! That much for just for a plastic cover??? :22yikes:

If one can be designed for the Roady for about $20, then I'm interested. But $50? WOW. :24shocked:

·
Registered
348 Posts
OrangeWing Rider

4 Switches 2 Knobs and Lights what is that all about.

Nice looking install with the matching wood.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I agree, that cover is a bit pricey...

MRGLO2, maybe this could be the product you could make to make your fortune and finance your fun! :D

I'm working on becoming a dealer for some of this stuff so maybe we can get some of this stuff for a discount.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts