GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to be on the road a couple of Sundays when my favorite football team is playing. Want to get a Sirius sat radio.

Have you (or suggest something equally simple please) simply put it in the left pocket, cigarette lighter to the thing, antenna velcroed somewhere and played it on the FM radio on the bike? To get the cord from the antenna through the edge of the pocket, maybe file a small rut so it doesn't crimp?

Any other ideas area great. Don't need it all the time, don't have the knowledge time or patience to "permanently" install it (don't know i I'll keep the darn thing after NFL season is over)

Help and thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
For a temporary install what you described will work just fine. I bet though you will end up installing it for good. I love satellite radio, absolutley can't stand regular radio...

But for your question, do what you described and it will work.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would use the aux audio input rather than the fm modulator, it is available to you in (or just under) the left pocket. Other than that, what you propose will work just fine.

Carl

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I also agree with the others, so you might just save yourself a little 're-work' time later and spend an hour doing at least a 'semi-permanent' antenna installation.

Pop the speaker covers off and remove the two bolts that hold the gauge cover panel in place. You'll see two plastic rivets inboard of the speakers - pull the heads of them out to release them (you don't need to pull them all the way out).

Starting at the back end (by the key) lift it up and out of the rubber grommets that hold it in place, enough to get to the connector that attaches to the display buttons. There's a small tab on the front of the connector that needs to be pushed forward to release it - a small screwdriver and a flashlight will help do it.

Now just gently lift it up and back and it will be completely removed - set it aside.

If you look down by the corner of the left speaker, you'll see an opening at the upper RH corner of the left pocket - this will be your avenue for your antenna lead (and other wiring when/if you permanently mount it later) to enter the under-pocket area.

If you reach up under the center of the dash, you'll see there's a gap between the upper and lower halves - if you throw a bit of double-stick tape on the bottom of the antenna you can slide it into the gap between the dash halves, pushing the antenna toward the rear of the bike as far as you can before pushing the tape down.

You can take the excess antenna lead, leave it loosely coiled and stuff it up in the gap as well, leaving enough of the connector end free to run down next to the left speaker, through the hole under the pocket and then up into the pocket through the same hole that the AUX input cable runs through (under the grommet will be fine for a temporary installation).

Re-assembly is just reversing the procedure - don't forget to re-connect the Display Button connector! There are little tabs that you'll hear click into place when you press the dash firmly back into position. Don't forget to push the speaker grilles firmly back in until they click as well.

I would also recommend using the AUX input instead of the FM modulator, especially if you live in a crowded urban environment or travel a lot. Changing the FM output frequency on most of the Sirius radios is pretty easy, but not when the radio is buried in the pocket.

When you get it installed, don't forget that there's more NFL than just the games on Sundays - the insider and analyst shows are pretty fun, too.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
755 Posts
What you are proposing should work fine, as others said. I also recommend using the aux input. FM modulation is frustrating when traveling across the country. You are always having to change your input station when you approach a radio station using that frequency.

Look for velcro spots. They are slightly larger than a dime, self sticking, and GREAT for small temporary installations. The come on rolls and you can afford to use them once and throw them away.

I would start out trying the antenna on the "dash" just under the vent using a velcro spot to keep it from sliding around. Depending on where you travel, you may run into some reception problems there..but maybe not. If so, go for mounting the antenna to the top of the clutch reservoir. Make sure you don't crush the antenna wire where it comes our of the pocket. They are a little delicate, not too bad, but be careful anyway. The spot will also keep the radio secure in the pocket. I place mine against the side, vertical.

Good luck....satellite radio is the only way to go....I have an iPod too, but like the satellite better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would agree with the others that sooner or later you will do something more permenant. I have my GPS/mp3 player thru my aux. input and I have had poor luck with the FM/ Modulators built into the Sirius receivers so here is what I did and it works great. I got the Sirius FM relay from Best Buy.com # 14110, SKU 7262892 for $19.99 + shipping and installed it. Perfect Sirius reception, no bleed over from strong FM stations and I can keep my GPS/ mp3 player thru the aux. All works fine and I am very happy. Just another idea, find the one that is right for you.

dave

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, now all I have to do is go get the darn thing (on my way to Vegas for a conference, will do it when I get back and prior to Biketoberfest trip).

I like the velcro idea and probably will do something more permanent later now that I think about it. I will also switch to connect to Aux if I can find the darn wire for that in my paperwork somewhere (it's in a "safe place").

I borrowed a friend of mine's radio and almost laughed myself off the road with some comedy channel so maybe I will get hooked.

...thx all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts