GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else getting fed up with all the talk and commercials on these radio? I've had one for 1 1/2 years and it seems the DJs are talking more and more. And forget the talk shows. They are one commerical after another. They talk for 2 minutes and advertise for 5 minutes. I think this is my last year for satillite and will go back to the ipod. I don't like paying a fee to listen to commercials when I can listen to them free on reg radio.

Thanks, I feel better.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was thinking about this today. I've never subscribed but I got three free months of XM with my new Chevy. I thought it would be like the music on my old Dish Network, no talking and just music.

I do like the variety of choices of different genres. I do not like the constant chatter between songs. I've been listening to 60's music, which is non-commercial. However, the DJ's think they have to be entertainers. Play a song, then chatter for a few minutes.

Flashback sequences to the 60's including playing old news reports and sporting news. I don't won't to re-live the 60's, just listen to music from that era.

Same thing on the couple of other channels I've tried. Chit-chatting with callers, song requests, etc.

I won't be subscribing. :D

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Love my XM, warts and all.

If I'm out in the boondocks all I can get on my regular radio is country or classic rock.

XM gives me Decades, alternative country (plus about 6 other country choices), Sinatra, talk, comedy, news channels, sports channels and old time radio serials......can't beat the variety.

I'm keeping my subscription......it's easily worth the $10 a month.

Bob E.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
rickard s said:
Don,t be knockin classic rock. 8) 8) 8)
rickard,

Not knocking it. I just get tired of it. The only radio station I can pick up at work (I work deep inside a metal and concrete building) is a classic rock station, so by the end of the day I've had enough.

My wife, on the other hand, sets her XM to channel 46 only. I don't get that! But she's happy, so I don't have to get it. :D

Long live classic rock. Long live variety.

Bob E.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have never noticed that problem with Sirius. The stations I listen to are 90%+ music and the rest dj chatter. I am seriously thinking about getting another receiver just for the Jeep.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
robeth said:
Love my XM, warts and all.

If I'm out in the boondocks all I can get on my regular radio is country or classic rock.

XM gives me Decades, alternative country (plus about 6 other country choices), Sinatra, talk, comedy, news channels, sports channels and old time radio serials......can't beat the variety.

I'm keeping my subscription......it's easily worth the $10 a month.

Bob E.
I agree too. I like to have a choice of different music and be able to listen to it anywhere.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had Sirius for almost 2 years now and have kinda grown tired of it. I put an ipod on the bike and love it. I seem to have so much static in certain places on my Sirius that it usually ends up annoying enough that I switch on the radio. It is good when your in the boondocks though....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I listen to the Jazz & Blues stations 70-74, very little talk on the Jazz stations.
Slightly more talk on the Blues station, but it's all cool. Love it myself. 8)

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
I have XM-quality stinks compared to IPOD, have tried Sirrus on rental cars. For me the Sirrus seems better. I hate to buy another radio. I had heard XM was loosing share and Sirrus and XM may unite.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
In my geographical area, Bad XM, is far superior to good live radio.

I have not jumped on the MP3 thing yet. I don't figure that i have the time to transfer the music.

Bulldog

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
evilashx said:
I seem to have so much static in certain places on my Sirius that it usually ends up annoying enough that I switch on the radio.
Evil......

You may want to check your hook-up to your Sirius unit. A digital signal can't have static. You may be getting other 'noise' from bad wiring.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hedo said:
evilashx said:
I seem to have so much static in certain places on my Sirius that it usually ends up annoying enough that I switch on the radio.
Evil......

You may want to check your hook-up to your Sirius unit. A digital signal can't have static. You may be getting other 'noise' from bad wiring.

It usually only happens when I drive through Waco and a few other towns that have strong channels on the frequency mine is set to . At least thats my theory of why it happens. Does anyone else have that problem?

If not I guess I need to check my wiring....

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Evil, sounds like your using the FM modulator. If that is the case then yes you will be getting static, but that is not because of the Satellite signal. That is because of the FM signal being overpowered by another station. If you use the AUX input you will eliminate that.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
evilashx said:
Hedo said:
evilashx said:
Evil......

It usually only happens when I drive through Waco and a few other towns that have strong channels on the frequency mine is set to . At least thats my theory of why it happens. Does anyone else have that problem?

If not I guess I need to check my wiring....
Fuse is correct in what he said. If you are using the FM modulator and you get too close to a station on the same frequency you will get interference. The only solution is to pull over and change to an unused frequency or use the AUX output and connect directly to your bike radio using the AUX input. We are assuming you have an AUX output on your radio. I have noticed that many of the new XM and Sirius radios do not have the AUX output which is a shame because the sound quality is so much better than the FM modulator.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE from an above post ***** I have noticed that many of the new XM and Sirius radios do not have the AUX output which is a shame because the sound quality is so much better than the FM modulator.****

I question this statement ? If you have a place to plug in a set of ear buds or whatever you have a place to plug in the AUX in cord on your GL1800 . I have XM and every unit I have looked at has audio output in one form or the other?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry....I didn't really make myself very clear. I have Sirius in my pickup truck and the problems I have with it are the reasons I put an Ipod nano on my Wing.... Still having the problem on my truck....Ipod works great on the Wing using the aux hook up.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
After almost two years with Sirius in both Jeeps, I still think it is worth the money. I still listen to commercial AM & FM radio about half of the time I am on the road, but the Sirius setup fill the void for the other half of the time. My wife was the first to get Sirius in her new Jeep in December, 2004; after seeing how good it was, I got the same setup for my Jeep.

My GL may be the next place to install a Sirius receiver.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Where I ride, there is no FM reception, so my choices are MP3 or satellite radio. I've noticed that they're chatting more on some of the XM stations, especially at "drive time", during rush hour. I just switch to a different station. That's why there are so many country stations, for variety.
I don't think of an MP3 player as a viable alternative for me. I don't have time to gather up music on the computer, then transfer it to an MP3 player. Within a short period of time, the music you have recorded isn't the latest releases, and you'd have to start gathering music up for another playlist.
For $10 a month, I'll pay someone else to make the playlist and not have to bother with it. If I've got time to mess around with an MP3 player, I've got time to ride.
But that's just me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes...a bit more talking on XM than I care for, but far less than on old time radio and mostly, no commercials. Took several long trips this summer and had XM 60s, 70s or the Blend on all the time...wife, at first, thought it was rip-off, now we have it in our cars and on the trike. Don't like subscriptions, but this one seems to be a good investment to us, especially since we've had 3 MP3 players fail, one on a trip, leaving us with no music and just each other to talk to. Fortunately, my helmet headset gave out shortly thereafter, leaving only personal conversations.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts