GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sounds like a very interesting day!

Don't see folks jumping off bridges just everyday!

Does the Visitor's Center have enough parking for such a big event? How far away is the lodging?

Jonar G., aka, Whitefang

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
taken on the way back from Americade last year :shock:

·
Registered
600 Posts
WV WINGMAN: Myself and a group of friends are riding down from Wheeling. Are you going ??? To bad you'll be on the wrong side of the bridge. hahahaha
We have stayed in in your neck of the woods many times on our trips to BRP.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
If you are going to West Virginia for the "Bridge Day" weekend, allow me to suggest to you a fantastic road loop that will take months to wipe the smile off of your faces.

From the New River Gorge Bridge, which spans US-19 on its surface, head south on US-19 towards Beckley. About 5 to 6 miles south of Beckley and still on US-19 is Shady Spring, here you'll turn left onto Rt. 3 and follow this road eastbound all the way till it intersects with US-219.

Turn left on US-219 North and follow it all the way to Elkins. Here US-219 will intersect with US-33, you'll take US-33 west. Take US-33 all the way to Arnoldsburg, and turn left onto Rt. 16 south. Route 16 south will bring you back to the New River Gorge Bridge area.

There is a short section on US-19 and US-33 of 4 lane highway, the rest will give your countersteering technique and footpegs scraping a challenge to say the least. This loop is 400+ miles, so, start very early in the morning to get back to your lodging room before dark. It usually takes me about 9 hours with short brakes for fuel and a lunch stop, and with the sun going down earlier this time of year, you must adjust your departure time accordingly. Then let me know how long it takes to wipe that grin off of your faces.

I include this loop with every visit I make to West Virginia (very often).

PS: Watch for gravel in the tight turns. Where you'll see gravel, reduce your speed, of course, and stay in the cager's tire tracks around the turns and you'll be fine.

Enjoy and ride safely,

Mike

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Nice Pic! I bet it's even better in fall!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries on the parking. There are usually shuttle buses running from the nearby communities. They shut down two lanes of the bridge. Its the only day you can actually walk on it legally. The trees are still looking good. Expecting in excess of 150000 people. People come from all over the world to jump. It is not uncommon for someone to die during the day. They are jumping into some good white water with rescue squads in boats waiting to pluck them out. Or landing on the very rock shore which generates a lot of broken bones.

I probably will not make it this year. If you are going let me know if you have problems with lodging, I may be able to suggest a few places to stay away from there.

If you are riding the back roads look out for walnuts in the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts