GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I was changing my oil yesterday and when I went to remove the front half of the belly pan I noticed a rather ugly hole. After removing the pan I then noticed that the oil filter had been impacted as well. (See photos below.)

I am convinced that without the belly pan absorbing some of the projectile energy my oil filter would have been punctured and I would have been faced with a $200 tow home from God-knows-where. As far as I am concerned, the $40-$50 cost of the pan is way cheap by comparison.

Now I realize that there are a few hardy souls who claim that they don't need a pan as they can unerringly spot and dodge a six penny nail at 130mph. It must be nice to have such a rich fantasy life. But not being one of those people I think I'll keep using the pan.

Holy Skid Pan, Batman!

This filter nearly bit the dust.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I used to be able to dodge a six penny nail at 120 mph, 130 mph was a bit tuff. I had to wear my bifocals to see that one. :p

Then one day I saw my oil filter with a good dent in it too.

So on with the belly pan, but mine is louvered and it gives me an extra 15 horsepower also.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I am thinking that the belly pan caused the damage to the oil filter.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Belly pans are just another form of insurance, IMO. Just like car & house insurance, using a run flat tire on the rear and always being armed.

You hope you don't need it, but subscribe to the "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" way of thinking.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep, only took replacing my plastic coolant tank once to realize it would be best that I protect my belly. After all, why not treat the bike like I do my own, given that extra layer of protection from good BBQ over the years.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Yep, only took replacing my plastic coolant tank once to realize it would be best that I protect my belly. After all, why not treat the bike like I do my own, given that extra layer of protection from good BBQ over the years.:thumbup:
:lol: :agree: :22yikes:

Just like going 4 wheeling and saying "I don't need skid plates." Just say'n.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
That pic might suggest that area of the pan could use some reinforcement. Or fashion a split ring sleeve to fit over the filter snuggly.
prs

·
Registered
212 Posts
OK, I'm convinced... but which belly pan is the best (or which ones should I avoid)?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Belly pans are just another form of insurance, IMO. Just like car & house insurance, using a run flat tire on the rear and always being armed.

You hope you don't need it, but subscribe to the "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" way of thinking.
:agree:

As they taught us in the Boy Scouts, "Be Prepared". Or as my grandfather told me when I was a teenager, "use protection".

"The view from the side of the road isn't quite a nice as on the road."

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't have a belly pan, where can I get one and are they standard or do I have to drill holes in the frame to mount it?? I have a 2010 Wing.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I don't have a belly pan, where can I get one and are they standard or do I have to drill holes in the frame to mount it?? I have a 2010 Wing.

Thanks in advance!!
This board's sponsor sells them. Just type "Belly Pan" (without the quotes) in the search, and you'll see what's for sale.

http://www.directlineparts.com/search.asp

:thumbup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I take it that you did not see or feel the object that hit you or you hit?

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Regardless if you subscribe to the Bellypan use or not, please take the time to throw an extra oil filter on the bike. If the oil filter on the bike gets damaged out and about all you need find is oil, and that is readily available.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I like the stainless steel louvered variety. Can't remember whether I got it from HDL or Wingstuff. It gets banged from time to time. As someone said, cheap insurance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts