GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posted this on another page, but it might be worthwhile on its own thread.

Some of you might not be familiar with the National Parks Senior Pass. If you are 62 or older you may purchase one at any national park for a one-time fee of $10. Not only with this get you (and a few others with you) into any national park at no charge--for the rest of your life, you can also save 50% on camping and possibly other park-related expenses.
No charge to ride on the Skyline Drive (Shenandoah National Park), camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway for $8.00. Not bad!

Looking out for your financial interests!
OB

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Another thing, for those under 62 who must pay the full freight for the
yearly pass......That pass will allow 2 motorcycles to enter the park....

The Golden Access pass for old folks only allows one motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Another thing, for those under 62 who must pay the full freight for the
yearly pass......That pass will allow 2 motorcycles to enter the park....

The Golden Access pass for old folks only allows one motorcycle.
Yes, for us youngin's we have to pay each year for an annual pass, but it is true that they will allow two motorcycles in on one pass for the normal annual pass. $10 for a lifetime is a deal you can't beat. I'm pretty sure that price won't go down. I believe it's at least $10 to get into any national park.

·
Registered
349 Posts
One thing I have never understood, why are discounts/freebies given to the (overall) wealthiest group of people out there??

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jd,
Perhaps at that age you'll be among the wealthiest, but thus far I haven't received my bonus check for reaching 62...

but back to the subject at hand-
Hadn't realized this applied to National Forest campgrounds as well.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
One thing I have never understood, why are discounts/freebies given to the (overall) wealthiest group of people out there??
Cause we paid our dues. Now pay yours. When you get to be an old geezer like me you too would benefit from being old.

And......last I checked the wealthy pay more than their share compared to the pee ons. About 1/3 the people in the US don't pay income tax..

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
About 1/3 the people in the US don't pay income tax..
Actually, 51% of all working Americans pay NO federal income tax.....

·
Registered
42 Posts

Some of you might not be familiar with the National Parks Senior Pass. If you are 62 or older you may purchase one at any national park for a one-time fee of $10. Not only with this get you (and a few others with you) into any national park at no charge--for the rest of your life, you can also save 50% on camping and possibly other park-related expenses.
No charge to ride on the Skyline Drive (Shenandoah National Park), camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway for $8.00. Not bad!

OB
Yep, it's a good deal. I didn't even realize I was eligible until I stumbled across it on the NPS website a couple of weeks after spending $30 for an annual pass just for Shenandoah NP/Skyline Drive. Forked over the $10 and gave the Shenandoah pass to my (younger) wife to keep (we'd usually just pass it back and forth if either one of us was headed up there on our own). The Senior pass is an inter-agency pass and is good for entry fees and discounts at National Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management recreational areas as well as at National Parks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The NPS Senior Pass is a fantastic deal, some state parks recognize it also. The pass comes in very handy when you make the IBA National Parks Tour.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You don't have to be 100% to get the free pass. I got mine with a 50% rating and I was 61 at the time.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
The Senior Pass is a subsidy program like any other. Nothing is free. The AARP got this 'benefit' in exchange for hefty contributions to favored elected officials in the same way that GE got tax considerations. Whatever government gives to one it must first take from another.

OB

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Senior Pass is a subsidy program like any other. Nothing is free. The AARP got this 'benefit' in exchange for hefty contributions to favored elected officials in the same way that GE got tax considerations. Whatever government gives to one it must first take from another.

Very well stated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gosh, Ben and JD,
Looking so critically at everything kinda takes the fun out of life!
Enjoy the perk for what it is. Or not if you don't want to.
OB

1 - 20 of 45 Posts