GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at the shop the other day I got to see the Alternator Drive Gear from my buddies bike that had been replaced.
I had no idea that thing was so big. :shock:

We have all seen posts about the ADG and the woes it can cause when it fails, but to see one up close and in person was amazing.
That sucker was what... 5 inches front to back and 4 inches in diameter???
I was not expecting something that big.
Learned something that day.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
While at the shop the other day I got to see the Alternator Drive Gear from my buddies bike that had been replaced.
I had no idea that thing was so big. :shock:

We have all seen posts about the ADG and the woes it can cause when it fails, but to see one up close and in person was amazing.
That sucker was what... 5 inches front to back and 4 inches in diameter???
I was not expecting something that big.
Learned something that day.
Which version was it, what year is his bike? Did it look like this one from a 06?

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I hope to never see another!

prs

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I hope to never see another!

prs
Well, since you installed he who must not be named's collar you and I both know you should never have to, right. ;)

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Well, since you installed he who must not be named's collar you and I both know you should never have to, right. ;)
HEY! NOW YOU DUN WINT 'N JINXED ME!

Besides, I would never dare to mention Rocky on here, t' just mention Rocky could get Ya put into the corner nose first. And to mention Rocky two or even dare three times could get Ya tossed to the wolves. Nope, I would'na do it even on a double dare.

prs

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
HEY! NOW YOU DUN WINT 'N JINXED ME!

Besides, I would never dare to mention Rocky on here, t' just mention Rocky could get Ya put into the corner nose first. And to mention Rocky two or even dare three times could get Ya tossed to the wolves. Nope, I would'na do it even on a double dare.

prs

Yeah, just mentioning Rocky's name could get ya banned, just like Rocky.

ON EDIT: I double dare you! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which version was it, what year is his bike? Did it look like this one from a 06?

His bike is an 01
100,000++ miles and never a major (like this) problem.
He still has it (gonna sell it) but bought a new to him '08 with 14,000

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
the 01's looks a bit different than the 06's above.
They work differently, too. The 01's thru 05's are a spring dampened with 28 teeth while the 06's and up are oil dampened with 27 teeth.

Others on this forum have stated that the newer style ADG can be installed but a drive gear will also have to be changed at additional expense. The big hit on this job will be labor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts