GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was crossing wet railroad tracks that crossed the road diagonally and he was slowing for a stop sign on the other side. Sure enough, down he went. He popped up off the pavement pretty fast and then he took off his helmet and slammed it down in frustration in the ditch! I stopped to check on the 20-ish rider and he was mostly ok except for a sore, bleeding knee and ripped jeans. I picked up his helmet and it was obvious how the helmet had hit the pavement, undoubtedly saving him from more serious injury. When I suggested that he should be nicer to his helmet because it was really good to him, all he did was shrug his shoulders and say "Yeah, whatever." I hope he learned something today.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
By your post I will guess he has a lot to learn, hope he lives thru it. At least he had the brain bucket on when his head hit the pavement... What was he riding?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He was riding an older Yamaha Seca, I believe. One muffler was dented and scratched and one mirror hurt as well. I didn't see any other obvious damage. I noticed his front tire was extremely weather checked but I didn't feel it was the time for a lecture. Later, I wished I would have given him $100 and told him to please go get a new front tire ASAP. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Might as well slam the helmet since it's of no use after having served its intended purpose - time to replace it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Picked a Kid out of the ditch a couple weeks a go. Early twenty's on a big Ninja. Hot into a 45 mph twisty that I take at 65.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might as well slam the helmet since it's of no use after having served its intended purpose - time to replace it.
You may be correct but it's doubtful that a kid who can't afford a tire will spring for another helmet. Hopefully the helmet is ok and he continues to wear it.

It would be great if there was some way to mentor young riders but I doubt if they have any interest in listening to old, living goats like me.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
"Heavily checked tire" I've never heard that terminology for worn out and dangerous. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
"Heavily checked tire" I've never heard that terminology for worn out and dangerous. :rolleyes:

15 years ago I bought a trailer to haul our Kaw 1500 back and forth to the NC and WV mountains.

After lots of years the tires got "checked" with lots of tread still on them, but they would no longer hold air very well. The trailer was always stored outdoors.

I will replace the tires on my new trailer every 5 years just to be on the safe side.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Those railroad tracks tend to teach us all a lesson when young..........

I never went down but it was all the bike could do , almost did not have enough power to get it back up.

No braking on railroad tracks, just roll over them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
So do the RR tracks cross the road at a angle greater than 45 degrees at that crossing??

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Weather checked" tires are common around the farm on trailers and such that only get occasional use. These tires are so old that the sidewalls get cracked and even the face of the tire will crack in between the treads. The tires are not really worn out from use but rather from lack of use. More than likely, that Seca had been sitting idle for decades and the tires had never been changed.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So do the RR tracks cross the road at a angle greater than 45 degrees at that crossing??
The angle was definitely more than typical. The rider was probably going no more than 25 mph because of the stop sign on the other side of the tracks. This was likely a local kid who had driven a car across those tracks many times but on this day he rode the bike and it was wet. His familiarity with the road contributed to the accident because he didn't realize that different rules applied! After I thought about it for awhile I realized how tricky that situation was. Indeed, the combination of circumstances would have probably jeopardized even much more experienced riders.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Stay away from downtown Tucson where the city has installed a trolley. The trolley tracks run parallel to your direction of travel and are a real hazard to bikes. We had one of our police motors go down because of the tracks.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My wife and I watched a young kid lose it from a stop sign intersection with gravel left over from winter time with gravel laid down for traction. It was kinda funny as we approached I told my wife this kid is going take off too fast. He gassed it from the sign went left right left again tried to straighten and down he went. Minor road rash bruised ego and bent handle bar. Kinda felt bad for him. I was young once too.:eek:4:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Indeed, the combination of circumstances would have probably jeopardized even much more experienced riders.
Maybe some....but not all. Some never use a tire till it has to be replaced, some never assume the RR tracks are dry, some lessen the angle as much as possible even dry and some just know better.:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts