GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding to work Friday morning, and just a few blocks from my house I was passed by a Stallion! We meet up at the light and I tooted the horn and waved.

It looked VERY good, though I think the steering wheel looks really stupid on it. However, I think Stallion (Motor Trike & Ford) aren't aiming for the motorcycle trike market, but the commuter market. Having a steering wheel will probably do better to woo folks over from cars.

We have a trike shop just a few blocks down the road that does Motor Trike and insta-trike conversions. As of a couple of months ago, I know they'd gotten cash deposits on 22 of the 24 Stallions they were allocated, just from the brochure!

We stopped by there today so we could see it up close, but sadly, the shop owner had it out on an all day run. This isn't a production unit, but one of the prototypes. Seems they've sold so well so far, that their 2007 production run is supposed to be 70,000 units.

BTW, they have a Motor Trike Valkrie conversion there fixed up with the Harley fairing, gauges, CB, etc. much like the "Rainbow Dragon" that's for sale here on the board. It's a dang good looking trike and the HD fairing looks a LOT better than I thought it would on it. Not a bad price either... about $22,000 with very low miles on the original bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Curious as to what these stallions have for running gear (engine, tranny, rear end, etc).

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It comes with a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder Ford engine that products 150 horsepower and 160 foot pounds of torque. It has a Ford five speed automatic transmission and an 11 gallon fuel tank. Since the engine and tranny are from small cars...I'd assume that the rear end is as well.

They say that with the power to weight ratio, it has the power of a 'Vette and better fuel economy than most hybrids.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Hello the motor is from a frontwheel drive so no rear end I think (scary) it is a 2.0 or 1.8 not sure but 2.3 sounds big! I wonder if you could get it in a 5/6 speed manual tranny :D :D I think (AGAIN :shock: :shock: ) the motor is from a ford focus ..It sure would be nice to get the SVT motor/tranny :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ..chuck

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chuck,

All the articles I've seen on it including those in the Stallion foldout in Wing World a few months ago said 2.3L for the engine size.

In fact, here's the tech data direct on their website http://www.thoroughbred-motorsports.com/tmTechnicalData.aspx

As for it being front wheel drive, they certainly mounted it strange. It's mounted in the middle of the trike, running lengthwise like a normal four cylinder.

B

·
0 Posts
Well, with an inline 4cyl. and auto trans., what else would it be but rear drive. It certainly isn't front drive! The only question might be, is it solid axle or IRS? given Motor Trike's other offerings, I would guess solid but that's just a guess.

Although I personally don't consider it a trike - since it is not derived from bike - it certainly is interesting. I can't imagine a one year production run of 70,000 - maybe 7000 but then again, you never know. I also can't imagine this catching on as a commuter vehicle without a roof. But maybe that's coming too.

I would like to drive one though, expecially now that it comes in yellow. I wonder if it has an airbag?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The problems that everyone had with the 3 wheel atv's comes to mind. Can you see all these people that have no idea how to ride one of these, getting on one and taking off? With a steering wheel no less? They'll think it's just like driving a car, until....

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
The part about the drivetrain and suspension I am going to pass on, because I thought that every body knew that a Front Wheel drive vehicle was a Trans-Axle, and by moving the Trans-Axle to the Rear, and replacing the steering coupling, wouldn't magically make it a Solid arrangement.

beastie said:
I wonder if it has an airbag?
but this requires at least one more question to answer this question. Does the Currant and recent past Production Models of ALL Ford Passenger Vehicles have Air Bags in the Steering Wheel, as required by Law? Then there would be the answer.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Rick, having visited MotorTrike several times, and toured their facilities, I find it hard to imagine that they could produce 70,000 units a year. They would have to do a major, major upgrade of existing facilities to accomplish that.

700 units, maybe. 70,000, they are blowing smoke.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's why I said "supposed"... I didn't get that number from Thoroughbred Motorsports, Motor Trike or even my local MT/Thoroughbred Motorsports dealer... that came from another local trike dealer (Lehman) who loves the Stallion.

I do remember reading earlier this year though, that Thoroughbred Motorsports was getting a factory of their own to build the Stallion. So it is possible that the new factory is going to be considerably larger than Motor Trike's.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
WhiskeryGoofy said:
Rick, having visited MotorTrike several times, and toured their facilities, I find it hard to imagine that they could produce 70,000 units a year. They would have to do a major, major upgrade of existing facilities to accomplish that.

700 units, maybe. 70,000, they are blowing smoke.

Actual production will be 5K to 7K for 2007

Its been a while since you have been to MT, I can tell by your reply. Or you just plain missed the 400 by 175 building out back that houses the Thoroughbred Motorsports the 70K per year mentioned earlier is a typo here is the numbers from one of Jeff's interviews.
The Building was finished in June.

Its really pretty impressive to go through.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4688235

Jeff Vey: said:
It's half motorcycle and half car, and is made right here in East Texas. Sales of the new Stallion are poised to skyrocket. A few years ago we introduced you to Motor Trike and their three-wheeled motorcycle.

But now, their facility near Troup is about to double in size -- their workforce, too.

"We've been blessed beyond our wildest dreams. For the past five years, we've averaged 35 percent a year growth," says Motor Trike owner Jeff Vey.

That growth could get a real kick, with the Stallion.

It has a steering wheel, heat, air conditioning, and cruise control. And for its size, has the power of a Corvette.

Owner Jeff Vey went after comfort, style, and fuel economy -- as much as 55 miles-per-gallon on the highway.

"About five-and-a-half years ago, I could see where our growth pattern was going, and I didn't want to be in a position to be like a minor league ballplayer and grow and grow and grow and then someone like a New York Yankee come in and say 'let's get started,'" Vey says.

Now there's expansion. Nearly 70,000 square feet of space is under construction. The current 81 employees will perhaps double in two years. The growth is not going to be without some pressure.

"We are going to have to do some things down the road where we increase the size of the roads and power and water, because when you start to talk about this many people and finished goods, we are going to have to expand the infrastructure to handle it," Vey says.

The Tyler Economic Development Council says that all the works, since other communities have sought to steal the company away. But Vey says the plans are to stay right here, where the dream began.

"We've got something really special here," he says.

The Stallion is being produced by the Thoroughbred Motorsports division of Motor Trike, and will list at just shy of $30,000.

Production's expected to be from 5,000 to 7,000 units in 2007.

B

·
0 Posts
Here are a couple pictures taken by Ken Lind at Wing Ding showing the Solid rear axle and the rear mounted radiator.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Hummmmm! Don't know now, the Proto that I examined had IRS in the back. Guess that was why it was a Proto.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don, George
Just FWIW, Motor Trike had one of their prototypes at the Howdy Rally in Tyler a couple of weekends ago. I didn't look under it but did talk with their representative about it. I asked him specifically "what kind of rear suspension?" - his reply was "solid axle".....
Charlie

·
Registered
657 Posts
The engine is based on the 2007 edition of the Ford Ranger. The mpg is a little high, I believe TMS states it is between 35 and 45 mpg. However when you use the A/C (not sure of the heat) the mpg will drop somewhat.

While I was home on R&R this past August I did a test ride/drive on two 2008 models. Very fast, plenty of torque, one of the ones I rode the owner (formerly known as Fortsand on the forum) had modified his exhaust (which normally is "noisy", actually is called a "resonator" instead of a muffler) and installed a quiet muffler on it....big difference. He also had the suspension set pretty well to where it was pretty smooth riding. Most of the Stallion owners have not "played" with the air ride suspension that comes with the Stallion enough to maximize the smoothness of the ride they could get.

Good looking vehicle, I enjoyed it, I will be ordering one in March next year and pick it up in June/July when I am home for good (this time I mean it...the wife is only letting me work over here till the end of May 2011).

Dennis

199 dtg Dubai
200 dtg Home

·
Registered
970 Posts
There were a bunch of these at the TRI rally in Branson. Many more than I expected. I know an installer nearby who has started handling Stallions. He told me he ordered 20 and had 16 sold.

Not my cup of tea but somebody must like 'em.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you ride/drive one then you'll know why those of us who have are buying one.

Dennis

196 dtg Dubai
197 dtg Home

1 - 20 of 22 Posts