GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at the dealer in Medford. They had it backed up to a pillar so it was hard to see the rear but it certainly does not go with the trunk. Overall it looked pretty nice.
Didn't look like their was much clear coat however. It was a airbag with all the frills and the price on the tag was 27K. The left console sure was busy with numerous buttons. To many for me. I like things simple. Liked the fairing changes and it was a red one. Looked nice. I sure did not like the black side covers. They should have left them chrome.

Just my opinion! Would I buy one? If in the market for a new ride. Probably!! But not at this dealer. They are more into the water craft and 4 wheeling stuff, dirt bikes etc. From past experience here they won'y deal. The bike I looked at was SOLD also! Never have seen more than 2 Wings at anytime there. In the last 8 months they haven't even had a Wing on the floor. I was checking it out for about 10 minutes and no one even came over to talk to me. I road in on my Wing too. Big windows everywhere to view the coming and going of customers. :shrug: Oh well, I wasn't going to buy one anyway! My '05 is a great ride!

·
Registered
334 Posts
2012= a real cheap build

Now that is funny that the bike was backed up to a pillar!!! If I was a dealer, I would back the bikes up right to the wall or whatever since the a$$ end on the 2012 is that fluckin ugly!!! I also agree on the paint, it lacks metal flake, depth, shine, looks almost as bad as a $99 paint job!!! Oh wait, maybe it is a Mother Honda $99 paint job, had to be a trade off somewhere for the clear coated wheels! I hope my 2007 Wing lasts a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time!!!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I stopped at a large dealer today just to see. They had a blue one and a white one. The bags definitely do not match and look "funny" to me. It looks like the pointy end will be the first thing that gets damaged?? I also did not like the radio etc controls being mounted down on the side. Looks very dangerous to me if a rider didnt stay focused on the road. Would I trade my 06 for another wing?? Probably not, but since I am not in the market at this time it is hard to say. After a year or two, we will see what REALLY got improved and what didn't. Congrats to all you fellers who purchased new ones and hope you get many miles traveled safely.
I forgot to look and see if the new wing has an anti-dive valve. Are they still using this system???

·
Registered
999 Posts
I saw a Black 2012 at a gas station/lunch stop a couple weeks ago in Wisconsin. I took a good look at it - was a good looking bike. Yeah, the back end is different, but it is about time for a change.

·
Registered
134 Posts
CHANGE ?? Ya thats what Obama said , hummmm:frown:

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
BS on the paint(and I don't like the 2012 looks) the 2012 red paint is the same as the 2010 paint. Just less of it

·
Registered
999 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
I got a good look at a white one at a local stealer on Friday. The only thing I really liked was the glove box type thing where the gas door used to be. Looks to me like they wanted the back to look like a Victory. I wasn't to keen on the two tone paint job either. But that's just me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It was a airbag with all the frills and the price on the tag was 27K.
I hope its not as bad as all the chaps who keep knocking it the 21012 wing that i have ordered from the usa awaiting it to arrive in the UK is costing me $3k to ship via air..... I guess i will not know until we collect it from Manchester airport customs.

There are some that say good things about the 2012 and i recall a similar response when the GL1800 came out from and when it changed it 2006

We in the UK only have the airbag option (anything else is a white elephant)
so having had 7 gl1800 3 of them were air bags we are use to the left hand panal don't use it much anyway coz most of the radio and stuff operates on upper flick switches etc.

Let s Hope i like my $28k plus shipping plus tax plus duty bike when it arrives in your money we have to spend $32,000 in all :22yikes:
A few pictures would be good if anyone sees the red airbag model

Cheers

·
Registered
768 Posts
My humble opinion about the 2012 is that if you owned a previous year GL1800 you can't hate the 2012. They are just too much similar. Yeh, I didn't like the way they did the rear of the bike but that's only a small portion of the total package. I think the greatest angst regarding the bike is everyone expected so much more and it didn't happen.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I saw my first new 2012 2 weeks ago. The front looks nice but I did not care for the back end at all; still if someone gave it to me I would not complain, much." The wife saw her first one a week ago at J&P's open house, she was surprisingly more negative about it than I was.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I stopped at a large dealer today just to see. They had a blue one and a white one. The bags definitely do not match and look "funny" to me. It looks like the pointy end will be the first thing that gets damaged?? I also did not like the radio etc controls being mounted down on the side. Looks very dangerous to me if a rider didnt stay focused on the road. Would I trade my 06 for another wing?? Probably not, but since I am not in the market at this time it is hard to say. After a year or two, we will see what REALLY got improved and what didn't. Congrats to all you fellers who purchased new ones and hope you get many miles traveled safely.
I forgot to look and see if the new wing has an anti-dive valve. Are they still using this system???
The airbag bikes have always had the radio controls on the side. More room for a tank bag if you have a 2012 that does not have the airbag. Of course you cannot have a tank bag on an airbag unit since it would be in the way in a deployment.

By all accounts they finally put in stronger springs. But the A/D valve looked like it was still there.

I thought the blue and white model was a great color combo....red and white too. But now that I have a Zumo 665 I don't feel like I am missing much, especially after my suspension upgrades and other stuff I have added. I use the Zumo just for XM and weather, and I use the Honda NAV to see where I am. I have decided that it's easier than having to go back and forth on just one unit for everything.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I looked at a '12 a few weeks ago. I didn't care for the dull gray trim around the front fork/wheel. It should have either been the same color as the bike or chrome. I still like chrome, not flat gray. I have had four wings over the past several years but this time I moved on to an Ultra Limited. Just like to mix it up from time to time.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I cant believe that Honda did not make a perfect bike that looks and fits everybody wants. Come on people it will never happen. Things sure would be dull if there was just 1 of everything.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I saw my first one Thursday, on the road in Pigeon Forge!:thumbup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I saw a blue one on the streets of Spokane, WA the other day. It was joined by an early (2001 - 2003) GW same color as mine. It looked to me like it was on a test ride as the rider was following the older Wing and doing swerves as if to test its agility. I think the blue is a nice color. Up until then I had only seen black and white.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts