GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Double crimping with the proper tool and fittings does not penetrate the sleeve. I think I paid over $50 for my crimp tool over 20 years ago. Ancor heat shrink fittings are crimped properly with the crimper then a little heat seals the heat shrink.
It was an Ancor video I watched that said their crimper penetrates the Nylon and defeats the waterproofing.

·
Registered
946 Posts
It was an Ancor video I watched that said their crimper penetrates the Nylon and defeats the waterproofing.

I stand corrected. A Single crimp with the proper tool does not penetrate the nylon. I edited my original post to correct it. Here's my old VPA GS YYT1 single crimp tool. It spent many years aboard my Morgan 30 sailboat and corrosion has taken it's toll but it still works fine.

·
Vendor
17,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for posting that link to a very informative article. As you probably seen at Boeing was pre-manufactured wiring harnesses or a shop/division on site that made them. All of the terminations were made with a crimping tool that is pin type/manufacturer specific that went into the connector for that application. Of course, these crimpers are expensive and have interchangeable dies for each pin type. This puts them out of reach of most independent shops and hobbyists. Of course we can find some deals on eBay. A perfect crimp on generic pins and lugs with a universal crimper can be very elusive and more problematic. I still go old school and solder where I can.
Boeing had their own electrical shop with huge plywood boards with spools on them to route wires. I only worked for them about 1.5 years. Some workers were very resourceful when it came to filling their home tool boxes with specialty tools, but that was not my thing. However, sometime I think I should have been more resourceful.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts