GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of the J&M cables breaking on my 2 headsets. I was using a Scala Q2 to communicate with my Zumo 665 and Bluetooth to my phone. The Q2 was no longer available so I had to upgrade to the G4 to intercom with the second helmet. I put the G4 on my helmet and the Q2 on my wife's helmet. All works well except for the wind noise going into each of the helmets. I put tape on each side of the Q2 mike and added a second muff. Still sounds like a wind tunnel when the units are talking. When the Zumo kicks in, the wind noise goes away because the 2 Scalas are not talking. I thought the background noise was bad with the Wing intercom, but the Scalas seem to have no wind noise suppression. Since I have only had the G4 for a week, I am about ready to take it back and get my $250 back. Them back to the broken cable plugging and unplugging every time the Wife gets off the bike.
Has anyone had experience with the Scala G4 and Q2 or maybe 2 G4 units. If so, what is your experience or recommendation re the wind noise.
Thanks
Bruce

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I found a solution in a round about way. I turned my head one day while the wife and I were riding in Colorado last Fall and the velcro on my jacket hooked into the windsock and jerked it off of the mike on the Scala. When I reached for the windsock to pull it off of the jacket, I dropped it, never to be found again.

The wind noise was so bad without the windsock that we were ready to turn the units off. I had some of the flexible band aids in the trunk and I peeled the backing off of one and wrapped it around the mike, problem solved.

When we got home and got a new windsock, I wrapped a flex bandied around the mike on both headsets, put the windsock back on and we no longer have any wind noise problems. It's a cheap easy fix, try it.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
What kind of helmet do you have? I have a full face, with the shield up and standing up on the pegs at 40mph I get zero wind noise. Sitting down at speeds around 70 I still have no wind noise. The only time I get wind noise is if I hit a very strong side wind. Just for that one second. And my son and I don't even use the VOX. We put the mics in the open position so there is no delay when we talk.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We each have 3/4 helmets. I have a piece of weatherstripping on the front side of the G2 and a piece of electrical tape on the face side. Also an extra J&M muff on the G2 which is the wife's unit. She does sit a little higher than me so she does get more wind. I have not made any modifications to the G4 mike. She can hear some wind noise from my G4 on her Q2.

What units are you using? When I had the Q2 only and synced with the gps and phone, I had no report of wind noise on the phone with the Q2.

Thanks for your inputs
B.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use the q2 I went to wall mart and got a cheap tooth brush holder for a buck then I cut about a inch and a half off the ends drilled 2 quarter inch holes in the flat side over the mike and sliped them over the mike with the sock still on bingo no more wind noise unless you are riding in a strong side wind..

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
The Q2 was no longer available
Sure it is (http://www.cardosystems.com/us/scala-rider/scala-rider-q2) and there are many sources online who have the previous generation still in stock. You didn't need to go to a G4 at a significantly higher price. You can still get pairs of those for less than you pay for a single G4.

All works well except for the wind noise going into each of the helmets. I put tape on each side of the Q2 mike and added a second muff. Still sounds like a wind tunnel when the units are talking.
This is surprising. Almost everyone I ride with regularly has Q2s with a few G4s scattered in. No such problems at all... in fact - it is the quietest unit out of any of the brands. The noise cancellation is awesome, the mic's pickup pattern is extremely focused - meaning you have to have the mic right against your lips, or against your bottom lip. I find that tends to cancel any trace noises that might seep in.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You said you have a 3/4 helmet. Is that with a face shield?

I have a 3/4 helmet with a face shield and with the fattest windsock, the wind noise is negligible. The mike position is just outside my lips against the faceshield.

I've had to do some mods for phone use: I mounted additional padding at my ear holes to move the speakers closer to my ears so I could better hear during cell phone calls. Music is plenty loud and so is intercom and bike-to-bike.

Also, turn off VOX by pressing on the two rear volume buttons simultaneously for about five seconds on each headset in use. You'll hear a descending series of tones indicating that VOX is off. (Thanks SROBAK)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Q2s

I have a set of Q2s and the wind is enough to open up the VOX mike. It is very annoying I cant even think what it would be like on a bike without a windscreen.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Disable VOX: hold up & down volumes simultaneously for 3-5 seconds. You will hear cascading tones.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have done that srobak. Once you get the mike open it stays open unless you hold your hand over the mike till it shuts off. Just annoying that it has noise in background when silent and you are always screwing with it or shutting one off

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Tap the back button to close the mic... no need to leave it open or wait for VOX timeout.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts