GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have a pair of Scala Rider G4's. We originally bought them to go with our Harley Heritage Softtail and they were fine with that bike, but they don't work worth a crap on our 2018 Goldwing DCT Tour. We are interested in a pair of Scala Rider PackTalk Bold. Their website shows that they offer the PackTalk Bold and PackTalk Slim. In searching for a set to purchase I have come across several PackTalk units, but it does not specify Bold or Slim. The photos in the listings show units that look like the PackTalk Bolds on Scala's website, but the box is completely different than the box shown on Scala's website. The top photo is the plain PackTalk box while the bottom photo is the PackTalk Bold box from Scala's website. Does anybody know what the difference is in the two? I though maybe the top one was from a European market while the bottom one was from the U.S. market. The ones that come in the top box are considerably cheaper than the ones in the bottom box. Any help would be appreciated.

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The Bold and Slim both have DMC technology that allows you to talk to up to 15 riders. They also have a voice command capability that allows certain commands to be voice activated rather than pressing buttons. The big difference is the Slim's battery mounts to the rear of the helmet (possibly limiting helmet choices) while the Bold has a self contained battery. If you wear more than one helmet, you can easily swap the Bold by the addition of a base plate ($49) to any helmet. I use the Bold and it works very well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Bold will have ‘Bold’ written right on the unit. The regular PackTalk won’t. We have the regular PackTalk and have never been happier with a Bluetooth unit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Packtalk Bold is an upgrade over the original Packtalk. It's only an upgrade of improved voice commands and that's about it.... ie "hey cardo..radio on etc." I find that simply pushing a button on the unit is easier than verbalizing everything I want to do . I also just use siri for all my voice commands if I do need to make a phone call or something. The packtalk original uses DMC as well, which is a huge improvement over your G4"s. I had G4's before my packtalk and really liked them at the time, but they don't compare to the Packtalks.

I purchased my packtalk duo(2 units) over 2 years ago for mid $500 range. In the last month I have picked up 2 brand new packtalks ...1 for $119 and the other for $125
I would skip the "Bold" and save yourself some coin. Just my 2 cents. Also they sync quickly and work great on the Goldwing.

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
do any of you guys ride with a passenger that wears the packtalk units?

·
Registered
15 Posts
do any of you guys ride with a passenger that wears the packtalk units?

Yes, but we have only used the packtalk DMC to palktalk. I haven't tried it through the bikes intercom yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your responses and imput. I will be checking Ebay to see if I can find some decent prices.

Randy

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Thank you for your responses and imput. I will be checking Ebay to see if I can find some decent prices.

Randy
Do yourself a favor and try to find one at a local shop that knows what they are doing with bluetooth units. Your local guy should be able to install it, update it and show you how to use it, unlike a mail order unit. I can't tell you how may bad installations we fix and how many people need instruction on basic operation of a bluetooth system, all because they wanted to save a few bucks on Amazon. Also keep in mind there are limitations to these units....be clear on your expectations and the capability of the unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts