GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2018 GW Tour up for sale for a little over a month. I have it listed on several motorcycle boards and on FB Marketplace. I have numerous inquiries about it, but mostly from FB and from men named Ahmad, Aby, Ahmady, Mujtaba, Mustafa, Abbas... you get the picture. All of them have tried to negotiate with me and get the price sub $20k. I haven't gone that low yet on FB, but they keep trying.

I am curious if these profiles will end up in a scam, I just haven't said yes to $19k yet to see where they take it next.

Have any of you experienced this type of thing? About half of the folks that have inquired via FB have decently filled out profiles and those are the ones I have talked to initially. The others have little to no FB profile and I have not replied to those.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have no experience with FB....However, did any of those individuals show up to see the bike?

Without them stopping by to see it, why would you even talk about the price? Just my $0.02....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have had my 2018 GW Tour up for sale for a little over a month. I have it listed on several motorcycle boards and on FB Marketplace. I have numerous inquiries about it, but mostly from FB and from men named Ahmad, Aby, Ahmady, Mujtaba, Mustafa, Abbas... you get the picture. All of them have tried to negotiate with me and get the price sub $20k. I haven't gone that low yet on FB, but they keep trying.

I am curious if these profiles will end up in a scam, I just haven't said yes to $19k yet to see where they take it next.

Have any of you experienced this type of thing? About half of the folks that have inquired via FB have decently filled out profiles and those are the ones I have talked to initially. The others have little to no FB profile and I have not replied to those.

Thoughts?
Yes, they are many scams on FB for which you've identified the tactics used with more than a motorcycle. I've received several myself and generally don't reply. Many ads in FB are now demanding local buyers or local viewings only before discussing price. I've called a couple of listings and arranged a viewing with the owner. Normally a person attempt negotiating price w/o an inspection, especially for a wing.

Report the "interested high-pressure buyers" to FB and it would not be a bad idea to relist the bike on FB with local or local inspections before purchase or pull the FB listing. They are a lot of scams on FB.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
For me it’s local sale only. Any and all negotiations is to be done in person. Don’t waste your time negotiating by phone, text or email.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Thoughts?
I had the EXACT SAME THING. Two guys in two days both out of Texas. I blocked them and did not respond.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I differ in talking to them on the phone. If they are in another state or locale how else can you talk about your bike? Just recently sold three bikes, 2 ST1300's and a 2017 Goldwing with super low miles. Sold one locally and that guy didn't even ask to ride it before he bought it. Another came from Austin with cash and bought it. Another came from Brownwood and bought the Wing. All three were cash buyers and no problems.
I bought the Wing from a couple in Colorado. We talked over the phone and bought it for cash after driving up and looking it over.
There are many scams going on so just be diligent. If something seems wrong, it probably is.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've purchased items on FB. My last one was a sight-unseen sports watch. It wasn't a particularly expensive item, especially compared to your bike.

Before I purchase on FB, I first look at how long they've been on FB. It's less than 5 years, I'll probably skip them. If it's a long time, then it's most likely they're real (but nothing is guaranteed).

The items I've sold, I've done the same thing. If their profile is 5+ years, then I'll reply.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
How do they want to pay? If the first thing they say is "I like the bike and find it acceptable" followed by "I'd like to send you a certified check and I'll include addition funds for shipping", just walk away. How do I know? I've got a souvenir $2400 Certified Check hanging on the wall. Fortunately I ran it by the Bank before I released the item I had for sale, and shortly after sent a polite text explaining my disappointment and asking where they would like the check returned to...…..no response. If they're really interested, they come to you and bring cash. Avoid offers using Paypal as well. Great for small stuff here on the board, but if they're having you ship, once your bike is in their hands, they'll file a complaint with Paypal saying the item wasn't as described, Paypal will refund their money, and you're left holding the bag. Unfortunately this is the world we live in. Good luck.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Run... No REALLY run away from that type. Will deal in person. In my opinion don't waste your time unless face to face. Like the other poster said, how can they even deal on the bike if they haven't seen it yet. We all know it's a bad time to sell. Sometimes you can but if you can hold off till spring you'll probably have better results. Good luck.

·
Registered
597 Posts
A friend of mine sold a pickup truck on FB to a guy out of state and they agreed on a price and the guy next-day aired a check to him that was $4000.00 over the asking price. He said it was a mistake and to just cash it and send him the difference back,... you see where this is going right? The check was stolen from a dentist office. Six days later he got another check from a different guy in another state that he never even spoke to, ever! Same deal.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a bike for sale on Craigslist right now. I had four people respond, ALL SCAMS !
They want me to pay for a vin report on a website they provide.

Let me think about that for a nano second... I think not.
Be careful out there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Allow me to take a different approach on the negotiating a price over the phone.....

I have in the past been interested in something that I thought was over priced, or was more than I was willing to pay. I called the seller to discuss and have been told they would not negotiate over the phone. But would talk price once I was there. When I explain that I'm a buyer at my price but can't come to their price it usually turns into a negotiation over the phone. So, in my opinion, it pays to talk with buyers on the phone.

And I have on more than one occasion received e-mails, or calls back, from the seller after a few weeks asking if I was still interested..... and deals were made.

My point is simply don't close doors on prospective buyers.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
i have had my 2018 gw tour up for sale for a little over a month. I have it listed on several motorcycle boards and on fb marketplace. I have numerous inquiries about it, but mostly from fb and from men named ahmad, aby, ahmady, mujtaba, mustafa, abbas... You get the picture. All of them have tried to negotiate with me and get the price sub $20k. I haven't gone that low yet on fb, but they keep trying.

I am curious if these profiles will end up in a scam, i just haven't said yes to $19k yet to see where they take it next.

Have any of you experienced this type of thing? About half of the folks that have inquired via fb have decently filled out profiles and those are the ones i have talked to initially. The others have little to no fb profile and i have not replied to those.

Thoughts?
just to sell iN person only and cash cash only or at there bank get the cash no cashier checks

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Tell them you agree to the price and you want cash and to meet you in front of the Police Station. Wanna bet whether they show up ? :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
Sure there are scammers out there....but the harder you make it to sell the less likely you are to sell it. When you post on the WWW you need to expect out of town interest. I've purchased many big ticket items from around the country, and have always started negotiations via email or phone and many times completed them over the phone. As an interested buyer I know what I want and what I want to pay. I don't even consider some items if I feel they out of line on pricing. If pricing is close, a phone call will show a willingness negotiate. I have completed sales over the phone with money escrowed and titles by mail, without ever seeing a vehicle until it shows up in my driveway. If you don't want to correspond/talk with me.. 1 less potential buyer for you. So far I guess I've been lucky...I've never been scammed....but I can say I've found sellers that have misrepresented their article. So I guess I feel it's buyer beware!! B.

Reactions: OldFatGuy and Drair

·
Registered
930 Posts
I buy on FB all the time. It has to be within a reasonable distance from me, or I don't even try. But I've never tried to buy any vehicle advertised on FB bigger than an atv. If I think the price is a bit too high, my first contact is to question whether or not the seller will take less, and usually include what I am willing to pay. If they respond, I tell them when I can get to their location (usually the upcoming weekend) and that I will be carrying cash, and ask them if they can wait that long. I've had more than one seller then proceed to lose interest in the potential sale, but that's ok. I move on and see if I can find another deal. The wife just completed a local FB deal for a dog cage and had the seller ended up delivering it to the end of our driveway last evening. $25 for a $89 cage that is like new. Always cash in hand when we buy on FB. We've yet to sell anything on there as we tend to donate what we no longer have use for to a local charity.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Have you tried listing on sites like Kajiji? I have had a lot of success using them. I just sold a boat, lawnmower, and water skis using them.

Bill

·
Registered
711 Posts

Thoughts?
If you're serious about selling, respond to all. Just be careful and educate yourself about some of the scams (checks with refunds to them, for example). I've bought vehicles unridden with good luck; they may be trying to do the same. Why drive 100 miles if you're way off on the dollar value to begin with? I used to think "no way will I negotiate a lower price if they don't come and see to know what they're buying" but I've changed my opinion on that. To me the scams are pretty transparent and I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water, so I entertain all comers. Sure it can be annoying or frustrating but that's the nature of private-party sales: they never show up when they said they would, they change their mind, they simply disappear, they get disrespectful... So what? You have to put up with all of that if you want to sell, IMO. That's why a lot of people deal only with dealers, so they don't have the hassle of selling their stuff themselves.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I wish I had the money I would relieve you of that motorcycle ;)
Then this wouldn't be such a problem.

$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ask in your for sale add that any party interested must call you to talk about specifics. This alone usually stops most scammers.

Also mention that the method of payment is CASH only, counted and checked in your bank for counterfeit bills. An alternate would be to conduct the transaction in the lobby of your Sheriffs or police dept.

Stating up front that Cashiers checks won't be accepted unless given time to CLEAR and same with personal checks. Even wire transfers require caution!!!!!!!!!!! Have your bank set up a TEMPORARY account that is self closing the SECOND that the transfer occurs!

My fav is to meet in the lobby of my Bank and have the teller check and count the money and then sign copies of a sales contract provided by me, with all pertinent info shown. The bank can have a Notary witness the sale too. The entire operation takes maybe 10 minutes.

Sam:nerd:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts