GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I went for a ride up in the northwest part of Arkansas. I spent the night saturday at a friends house in rural Gentry. It's in the extreme northwest part of the state. I got up early Sunday morning to very dark skys with lots of thunder. I decided since I was headed southeast and the storm was headed southeast that I could get ahead of it. Big mistake. By the time I got loaded up and moving it was raining, at about a mile into the trip it was raining as hard as I have ever seen it. I then heard the tornado sirens blaring. Wasn't long and the wind and the rain were so bad it drowned out the sirens. I couldn't see well enough to find shelter so I pressed on the best I could. Then the hail came. It all seemed unreal, but it wasn't. I actually got passed by a tree! Not a real big one, but a tree none the less. Then I could see what appeared to be what was left of a chicken house scattered everywhere. Then the wind let up some and it was just raining cats and dogs with sevier lightening. I can remember in the back of my mind Yosemity Sam saying.... Say your prayers rabbit!
I rode the next 25 miles into Springdale in very hard rain, lightening with occasional small hail. When I got there the streets were flooded. There was a few cars stalled because of the water. I finally found shelter under an awning at a convience store. I waited it out for about 30 minutes before I pressed on. Finally I got out of the hard rain after I got thru Harrison. About Yellville I hit dry roads and I kicked it in the butt and hauled azz home. No way was I gonna let that storm catch back up with me. I stopped in Mtn. View for gas and called my wife, told her to open the garage door so I could duck in quick if needed. I ran in and turned off the wing and I could hear the rain starting to hit the roof. That was close.
I hope I never get caught in another storm like that. I saw several other bikes that got caught in it as well in and around Springdale. Anybody else from the board there?

I learned a few things from the experience..
1. A wing will run just fine with water up to the heads of the motor.
2. It sounds pretty cool with the mufflers submerged.
3. At 35mph and water 6 inches deep, it will throw a wall of water over your head that you cant see thru.
4. Avons are very good tires for wet roads. Not one slip.

My bud went later and took some pics of the carnage I rode thru and emailed them to me. He said lots of trees down, a couple of trailer houses blown over, a chicken house blown away and some other stuff. I cant get the pics to load for some reason, keep gettin a thumbnail error. I will post em if I figure it out.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Sure sounds like you earned your "Water Wing Certification" on that ride!

Glad you made it home unscathed.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
We were at Mt. Nebo last weekend and left early Sunday AM for home. I hauled butt on 7 north hoping to get to Branson before the storm hit.
Got to Branson then it hit. Lightning, wind and hard rain. I was having so much trouble seeing, I missed Highway 44 and went 10 miles past it before we realized it.

As we were leaving the area, I saw a lot of bikes heading the opposite direction, right into the storm.

We got out of the storm about 30 miles up I-44 toward STL. The highway was wet the entire way home though.

I'll post pictures of Mt. Nebo, and the road up, when I figure out how. The road up is a challenge in the day. At night it's worse... But a must do if in the area.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Watch out for the [email protected]$

I got caught in a full out Hailstorm one day, but not as brave as you up until the hail and water rose to my knees in the underpass I, and a dozen cagers were waiting it out in ...

Lessons:
1) Golf ball sized hail hurts, with, or without raingear! But you can survive it in full protective gear.
2) Rain gear with chaps underneath, forms a conduit straight for your private parts when you hit the next underpass puddle full of Icy hail and water at speed and that the pain and utter shivrosity does not compare against the embarrassment when you get to your final destination to meet your wife's parents for the first time while your pants are only wet in that one little area ...

It's my secret, and I am not telling anyone :oops:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Ask a mechanic whether you should take your wheels off and repack bearings and such after riding in that much water.

When I've gone thru deep water on the dirt bike, there was water in places there shouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
And could you see over the top of the windshield? That's my big problem with ridding in the rain. It's had to see through it and I have to stretch to see over the top.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had a similar ride out of Orlando a few years ago. Bike leaning at about a 30-degree pitch against the wind; no shelter; hail; trees bent sideways.
Rolled out of the worst of it into Yeehaw Junction to a scene of total chaos. There was a state trooper in the intersection directing traffic; he looks at me and says, "What the heck? Did you see the tornado? I can't believe you're riding that thing! Get out of here!"
I got out of there.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Galute,
Glad you made it through the storm ok.

I would have called it quits when I started getting passed up by trees. :p

Frank

·
Registered
589 Posts
Galuet, glad things worked out okay. I was born and raised about 15 miles southwest of Gentry, just west of Siloam Springs just over the state line in Oklahoma. Angel and I both graduated from Colcord High School which is straight west of Gentry. We get back there every summer. Not much has changed in the 51 years since then.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Sounds about like our trip back from Marble Falls last year. Yeah, and I agree, hail hurts. I was following Shooter real close - too close for comfort. But it was the only way I could stay up with him. Not sure what he was following. We should have waited a half-day and then come home. Would have been a lot better trip, rather than the ride from hell.

Glad you made it through unscathed!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Glad you made it Bud but if a tree passes us on our way to Alaska next June you can keep on riding but I am going to stop.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not me brother. I'm too much of a sissy for that kind of riding! Thank God you made it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was in the same storm but left Aurora Mo at 5 in the morning heading home after a bike rally Wife and I seen the storm but to no avail rode right into it, heavy rains, lighting and wind no hail. Made it back home wet and tired from gripping the bars so hard. Glad ya made it home safe. :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Glad you survived. You now qualify for a T shirt that says you belong to the Tornado Riders!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I roder through Dallas one night in a storm like that.. Not a lot of rain right on the highway, but there were tornadoes all around the south side of town, and the wind was blowing so hard from the south that every time I hit a bump, I was blown right a foot or so before I came down.. I was never so glad to turn right as when I got to 35E and turned north...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts