GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 gl1800 lacks the comfort I need for long rides. I like to travel. Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of the risers and are any brands better than others? I know nothing about them. Thanks

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I can tell that I installed risers on my last two bikes, first was my 07 Yamaha Venture and then on my current 2013 Goldwing. I both cases I installed them because I would get a stabbing pain in my shoulder blades or down the middle of my back after riding for an hour or so. The risers I selected were made by a fellow named Rocky, who resides on another forum, he calls the Comfort Risers, because the Comfort Risers allow the rider to also move the bars in or out from 2-6 inches to accommodate different shoulder widths and wrist positions, they move the bars up 2" and back 2". They cured my issues that is all I know.
If you are interested in more info on these risers, PM me and I will send you the info I have on them.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
If you've got a cool $850 +/- to spend, Helibars are the answer. If your budget runs a bit lower, as mentioned, Rocky's seem to be good (not sure of the price), MBL's are pretty good (that's what I run, about $80), they raise the bars about 3/4" and move them back about 1 1/2". If you get the "S" version, they close the bars in about 2 1/2", otherwise the "W" version leaves the width the same. Show Chrome makes a set as well, about $34, but all they do is raise the bars about 2". There may be others, but these seem to be the most common.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My 2016 gl1800 lacks the comfort I need for long rides. I like to travel. Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of the risers and are any brands better than others? I know nothing about them. Thanks
Dale,

Advantages are it can help you ergonomically fit better to your bike! (It could also make it worse) This could help you spend more time in the saddle and less neck or shoulder pain. I don’t think anyone’s is better than the other simply which one will work best for you!

Here is an old post of mine with the compiled riser data:

I purchased a Ultimate King Seat and I’m researching risers. I’ve read through all the different posts on all the different forums and it’s a bit overwhelming! I’m leaning towards the MBL 1803W or the Rocky Comfort.

I’m 6’2”, 210lbs, Wide Shoulders, 32” Inseam, Arm length is normal ( most XL long sleeves fit just right) ... on the stock GL1800 seat and handlebars I can ride 750 mile days with no problem... I just feel so cramped into the GL1800.

The Ultimare Seat will raise me up 1/2” and Back 1 1/2 inches.... so I’m assuming I’ll need the bars to come up and back.

My questions are:
1. Do you think I’ll need a riser?
2. Which one would you recommend?
3. Why would someone want 2” Narrower???
4. Does Rocky still make them, how much are they and how do I contact him?

My Compiled Riser Data... fyi

Kuryakyn - 1 Kit with 3 Options

1. 2.1/4” Back 1” Higher and Width 2” Narrower
2. 1/4” Down
3. 3/4” Up

MBL - 2 different Kits / 1 Option Each

1. 1803W - UP ¾” and BACK 1 3/8” Width stays same
2. 1803S - UP ¾”, BACK 1½” and Width 2 1/4” Narrower

Show Chrome Riser Shim - 1 Kit / 1 Option

1. Raise handlebars 1 1/2”

Rocky Comfort

1) UP 2” and BACK 2” and Width Adjustable

“The Comfort risers are the only adjustable risers out there. They move the bars back 2" Move the bars up 2" and in or out. no other brand can make this claim.” (copied and pasted from a Rocky post off another forum)

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/79-2012-goldwing-board/394161-riser-research.html

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Here's a YouTube video of Helibars:

·
Registered
322 Posts
risers

A tremendous fan of MBL's here. I currently have them on my '05 and my previous Wing as well. I'm a 6' rider and the MBL's put me in a perfect riding position for me. Just my 2 cents worth. :cool: :yes1:

·
Vendor
17,811 Posts
A disadvantage can be that the throttle will not return in all positions when done. To test, move the bars to a full right position, with the engine off, open the throttle and let go. You should hear it snap closed. Do the same in center and full left positions.

Sometimes, either the cables or wire harness have to be routed outside of the under-bar covers by using nylon ties. For example, that can see that in the video above. On both sides are multiple nylon ties.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I bought my first Wing in 2009 and bought MBL Risers in 2011, after asking questions on this forum (just like you are). At that time, the most popular riser was MBL, so that's what I bought.

I bought the 1803S version. This is the version that reduces the distance between the grip by 2 inches.

After installing it, I immediately thought that I had made a mistake by buying this version.

Narrowing the distance between the grips felt weird to me and I considered removing them. However, after a couple of weeks, I decided that I liked the narrowed distance between the handgrips and most importantly these risers eliminated the pain between my shoulder blades on long rides.

I installed the same risers on my 2016 Goldwing. I am very satisfied with the MBL.

p.s. Also, the MBL are not very expensive, so if you decide you don't like them, take them off. It's not a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Whatever you get that works for you is going to be it! I use the "Rocky Risers" around $100.00? you can "ADJUST" to different settings.

Here is how you can figure out what you need:: Sit on your wing and close your eyes and put you hands up in front of you in a relaxed position, (elbows a little bent) just flop them where you are comfortable and then open your eyes and see where your bars are in comparison to your hands. Have someone measure how far away the grips are from your hands, up & down & in or out. Get the ones that look like they will move the bars closest to where you want them.

I also use a REI sports pad air cushion : https://www.rei.com/product/845302/rei-co-op-sit-pad The grey one and just a puff of air is all you need. I cover it with a piece of fake sheepskin tucked under seat and pad will form to the seat. works for me (for 75,000mi). There are endless combinations & $ your choice. Ride Safe...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the forum allow someone to give me the contact information for rocky’s Comfort risers? I can’t find anything.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Check your Private Messages.

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Registered
773 Posts
If I remember correctly the MBL risers were first brought out by Harry Eddy and he sold the rights to those when he introduced the fully adjustable replacement bars.

I have no issues or regrets regarding Helibars. Everything works perfectly fine. But they were a big bite out of the piggy bank. Never see them used either. I did get free installation at factory.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I can tell that I installed risers on my last two bikes, first was my 07 Yamaha Venture and then on my current 2013 Goldwing. I both cases I installed them because I would get a stabbing pain in my shoulder blades or down the middle of my back after riding for an hour or so. The risers I selected were made by a fellow named Rocky, who resides on another forum, he calls the Comfort Risers, because the Comfort Risers allow the rider to also move the bars in or out from 2-6 inches to accommodate different shoulder widths and wrist positions, they move the bars up 2" and back 2". They cured my issues that is all I know.
If you are interested in more info on these risers, PM me and I will send you the info I have on them.
What is involved in installing these risers?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
What is involved in installing these risers?
Attached are the instructions for the install. Fairly easy as I recall.

Attachments

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
When I purchased my Ultimate King Seat the salesman on the phone talked me into buying the MBL risers and I’m glad he did. The risers keep the bars at the same width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Tip: Slightly tighten the set screw so it will hold the piece in position on both bars, then sit on the wing and adjust the bars to where you want them, THEN!! tighten the set screw all the way.

If your arms are crossed when you get done .... you did too many beers while working on it... It's only a 2 beer job ya lush!!!!!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Is there any way to identify which type of risers are installed on a bike? When I purchased this bike used, it had risers installed. The PO is 7 inches shorter than me and I'd like to find out what type is installed and how I can adjust them for me and my style of riding.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
mrprez:

I'm not sure any other than the " Rocky" risers are adjustable. I think way back, "MBL" had two different kinds or one had one other setting on their 1 riser set?? and the risers are usually black and all look pretty much alike unless you are very familiar with all of them. "Rocky's" are alum billet with no paint, so as far as I know, that one you could recognize easily. And with out packaging they are not marked very well other than R & L for (Right & Left). Hope that helps a little!!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
mrprez:

I'm not sure any other than the " Rocky" risers are adjustable. I think way back, "MBL" had two different kinds or one had one other setting on their 1 riser set?? and the risers are usually black and all look pretty much alike unless you are very familiar with all of them. "Rocky's" are alum billet with no paint, so as far as I know, that one you could recognize easily. And with out packaging they are not marked very well other than R & L for (Right & Left). Hope that helps a little!!
Thanks Doug that does help, I think mine are painted black but I will double check to be sure.

John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts