GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought this helmet and I thought We would share some info and pix with you all. After buying this at road riders in San Jose for $399 we road to the Cow Palace for the car show and this is what Sandie had to say about it: It was Lighter and quiter then her Shoei full face, and that her visor in the down position never fogged up once, with a feel of fresh air in front of her face not a rush of air with the chin vent open and no clostrifobic feelings as she has with the Shoei. When she set down the internal tinted visor and looked toward the sun eye strain was at a minimal level.
Sence we got home I have instaled the J&M head set #HS-ECD477-FL @ $197.99 and Lower cord #HC-ZB @ $46.95 [sorry HAL they were impuls buys] they work fine staticly on bike but havn't had a chance to use at speed yet. I had to remove some of the styrefoam around the holes provided but no deeper to recess the speekers for comfort, easly done with exacto knife after pealing back the cloth and the cloth reattached easly with the resadue of sticky tape left in place.

As you can see there is good vertical and wide angle of view through the visor. Sandie says she can't see the side of her helmet.

With the dark inner shield down there is good Eye coverage.

By Looking at this pix with the chin guard all the way up it may be to tall and become a sail causing neck fatigue but only time will tell.

With the boom mic in this position the chin/neck padding seen on bottom of raised chin guard doesn't interfer with raising and lowering of the chin guard.

As seen in this pix with the outer visor in the extended position there is a 1/8" gap between visor and helmet both top and bottom for more ventilation in warmer weather. But is kept sealed to the helmet for colder and wet weather.

When able I will post more info.

Al

2,732 Posts
My wife and I have each had a Schuberth helmet for 4 years!

My wife and I both have Schuberth helmets with Air Rider intercoms in them and we both think they represent the lastest in rider comfort and versatility. After 4 years usage including two 2 week tours of Europe, we still think they are the best solution to the helmet scene. Our Air Rider intercoms are installed so that the boom comes thru the the cheek pad and exits right by the foremost (front) part of the pad. Features we like are the flip down built-in sunvisor, the chin air dam, the front flip feature as you can put the helmet on WITH YOUR GLASSES ON and not have to try to slip them into the openning after the helmet is on. Low noise is also another great feature, in fact we kid each other that we feel like we are in our own little "sancutary" with the shield closed. By the way, I would never, ever ride with the chin bar in the "up" position......I think it would be good way to tear your head off!!!! I don't believe it was designed to be used with the front flipped up while riding. Another feature you'll discover is that they stay very cool in the hot summer time. I'm sure it has to do with superior padding inside. The old rule is "you get what you pay for". For me comfort is more important than price (if it makes sense).

·
Registered
78 Posts
iI've got a Shchuberth that I'm pretty fond of. Second one I've had actually. I retire the first one aften landing on it suddenly one night. It's fairly light and is the most aerodynamically stable full face I've ever worn. All my bikes don't have windshields (as God actually intended for motorcycles to be constructed) and the Schuberth is the only full face I've owned that doesn't try to turn my head around backwards at speed when I turn it sideways.

You should be aware that Schuberth very explicitly says not to ride with the chin bar up. It's not designed for that, according to them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spunky the Tuna said:
You should be aware that Schuberth very explicitly says not to ride with the chin bar up. It's not designed for that, according to them.
Thanks for the heads up on that fact Spunky!

Al

·
Registered
172 Posts
I rode for years wearing BMW System helmets, which were the first flip face lids made by Schuberth for BMW.

I didn't even look at anything else when it was time to replace the old ones.

You almost can't make the shield fog. The sun visor would be hard to live without once you've had one. The optic purity of their visors is hard to believe. It almost seems that you can see better with the visor down. LOL

:rat: Bake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts