GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATED! 2/12/09

My 08 wing is afflicted with the 70 mph drone. My wing was made september 07. My neighbors 08 was made in august 07, he doesn't have the drone. Also the mufflers on his are different too!

Anyway I got a set of tips from Summit Racing P/N: 690036 which will slide on just like the factory tips after the rolled lip is cut off. I also got the torque master 1800 quiet baffles to insert. And it did quieten my drone some but not as much as I had hoped for... so it is still a work in progress. I'm going to add a couple of copper scrubbing pads in each tip with the baffles and will post the results when I test that mod.

I am attaching some pictures so you can see what it looks like. With the particular tapered tips I used the spacers are on required on the end that butts up to the muffler. The reason I had to saw the outlet nipple off is because the outlet nipple was not centered. It was offset from center toward the bottom. After cutting the rolled lip off I used masking tape on the factory tip to get the hole alignment marks. Then all you need to do is transfer the tape to align the holes in the correct position.

As stated above it helped some but is still a work in progress... it sounds and looks good.;)

I have now tested the entire setup up which includes one walmart brand copper scrubber pad install between the baffle and exhaust end. The results are in both I and my SO, who is a pianist, now do not hear that deep bass drone frequency at 70 mph. My SO says the pitch or frequency is about 5 octaves higher. For me this just means I don't get the bones behind my ears beat up. You may even have good results by installing several walmart copper or stainless pads in lieu of the baffles. I am still debating whether or not to install a stainless pad in the cross over tube. Doing this will change the pitch some and still allow the exhaust system to equilize pressure. I did not notice any change in performance... it is still an "arrest me" red screamer. I hope this helps others

Attachments

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Just an idea.
Try separating the left and right headers either with torque loops, or make a plug to put in the crossover at the joint. Maybe machine a piece of brass and tap it in before bolting up the crossover. I think the bike produces some harmonic type resonance around 70 mph.
When I drop my headers to repair a leaking joint I am looking to plug mine also and see what happens.

Trev.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Try a different helmet.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used different helmets and ear plugs

Results of road test in first entry. And Yep it worked...

There is a harmonic resonance frequency at road speed that is coming from... I suspect the cross over section.

I tried different helmets and ear plugs... my neighbor also has an 08 but it was built a month earlier than mine and it has different mufflers that don't drone at road speed. Just wait till you start getting older and your hearing starts to fail... you may notice that particular frequency then.

Go figure... I get a newer one with cheaper mufflers.

I'm going to do the copper pad test and if that doesn't tame it I will do the plug in the cross over and see what occurs then.

For those that are interested I will keep you posted via this thread.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have not noticed a drone sound on my 04,but i will listen for it next time to see if it is there.:thumbup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At 85 mph

Wingjammer, I did the 90 on the road to hampton and no noise at that speed... just wind and super smooth.:thumbup: Have a safe trip.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Foam ear plugs stopped mine.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Tourq's loops and tourq master pipes with longest baffle :bow:
I believe the loop's is one of the best farkles I have done to my sweet "05"
I cant prove better horse power, BUT I FEEL IT :cool:
SHE IS NOT LOUD, BUT SHE BARKS WHEN I GET ON IT :thumbup:
NOTE: NO DRONE!
Also lost around 8lbs of DEAD WEIGHT THAT RESTRICTED THE HP OUTPUT, while increasing fuel mileage a little.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I took off the tips and packed them with the blown in insulation from my attic. I stuffed as much as i could and still get the screws in...gl1500 quiet...YOUR INSULATION MAY VARY...THUNDERWING

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I change the music to DISCO and crank it up !!!

No more Drone ...... :thumbup:

Actually, I'm not even sure if I've EVER had any.....must b the music.;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts