GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many forum members also have a scooter?

As you can see by my signature line below, there is a Burgman 400 in my garage. It's my wife's daily driver during warm weather, and she also takes it on 200-400 mile rides.

The local Honda dealers are offering good prices on leftover '06 Silver Wing scooters, and we are considering an upgrade.

I know a few GL1800ers on this board have a Silver Wing. How do you like it, what is your experience with reliability? How does it take long highway rides?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 250 Honda reflex scooter. fun to run around town on. It's yellow with M&Ms painted on it. Kids love it. To stick with the M&M theme I have a Wild West custom chopper with cowboy dressed M&Ms on it and a M&M painted golf cart. Also have a 125 scooter to run around on and take when camping. Both come in handy at bike rallys also.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a Yamaha Majesty 400 which is really interesting to ride. In bad weather I prefer it to the V Strom as it has much better protection.

I tried to use it for long distance riding but the seat needed signifigant work. I bought the Wing instead.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I myself dont have a scooter, but when I started riding about 6 years ago...I started off on a Honda Helix. BOY that thing was fun! Im a large man so it chugged getting going...but it still had oomph and it got up to interstate speeds fairly easily.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I gave up my 2001 Gold Wing for a Silver Wing. After putting some serious money into it, I think it rides and handles as well as the big bike, but, of course, doesn't have the power. It will get off the line pretty quick and I have embarassed all sorts of bikes (including GWs) if they aren't paying attention.

I've added an aftermarket seat with backrest, Clearview windshield, Kuryakyn grips, additional driving lights (2x55w), a Givi E52 tailbag, a J&M JMCB2003 CB/Stereo/WX unit, an automotive type cruise control, and oh yeah, a cup holder. I also boosted up the front with HyperPro springs which made a huge difference in handling characteristics.

While I CAN keep up with the big boys, I really prefer not to anymore - much more comfortable at 65-70. At that speed, mpg will run in low 40s and if I keep it under 65 will be in mid- to upper-40s.

I've got right at 10,000 miles on Skeeter now and have a set of new tires ready to be mounted. They are Pirellis and cost around $140 for the pair.

Last big ride was to the Arkasas Gathering in Harrison. Other than running into some cool, damp weather, the ride was fine - no problems. At least I didn't have to worry about changing tires on that trip (lol).

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Both my wife and her dad have Suzuki 650 Burgman's in our garage. (He's 80 and loves to ride!) I ride Peggy's Burgman occasionally, and I absolutely love that thing. I have no problems transitioning back and forth, now that I've ridden it a bunch.

For anyone considering "upgrading," consider the Burgman 650 over the Silver Wing. As one article I read put it, the SW is a scooter trying to be a motorcycle,and the Burgman is a motorcycle trying to be a scooter. It's much more solid-feeling on the road, gives better performance and protection and handles like a sport bike. You can cruise all day long at 80 mph and it feels like it's just loafing along. All that along with comfort and 50 mph, too. It doesn't get left behind by the big dogs. It's a great touring machine, as my wife will attest to, after having gone on several trips of well over a thousand miles a weekend. In my opinion, you get a lot more for your money with the Burgman than you do with the SW. I say that because Les had a SW before the Burgman, and, as much as he liked the SW ( took a 4000 mile trip to Colorado with us in 2005) he likes the Burgman that much more.

Peggy had a Russell saddle on her Burgman, as well as Kuryakyn grips, a Roady2 XM radio, and the J&M CB, as well as a Clearview XXL windshield.

No offense meant, here, to MosquitoBob. We, having had experience with both scoots, prefer the Burgman.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hey Greg, no offense taken. We all have our preferences - that's what makes this a great country (and a pretty decent site, too). I've read all kinds of comparos between the two scooters - its six of one, half a dozen of the others. I've ridden both and prefer the handling of the SWing - but you're right - the Burger is a great machine and does extremely well on the open road.

Ride on, Bro!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
49 Posts
I added a used honda helix to my stable two years ago. I love the thing! I use it for runs to the store or the gym or what ever. The wing still get a huge majority of the miles but the scooter is a blast.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Greg......
would you mind elaborating on the installation of the J & M CB on your Burgman 650. mounting, antenna, ear phones, etc............THANKS!
......bob

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
As you can see, I have a Burgman 650...runs like a hose. Love it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Reflex

I've had a Honda Reflex 250 for nearly 2.5 years now.
My former home was just 1.1 miles from my office, and it never made too much sense (except on Fridays) to drag the VTX1800 out of the garage for such a short commute. Thus, I bought the Flex.
I love riding it. Easy, simple, fun. I consistently get 60mpg or better. I also ride it more aggressively through traffic than I do the Wing.
For short trips, or Mon - Thur commuting to work, the Flex gets the call. For longer rides, or on Fridays, the Wing gets the call now (it's a shoe scuffing thing on work shoes excepting Fridays).
My new home is 5.3 miles from the office and I've put over 2,500 miles on the Flex this year (plus another 6,300 on the Wing).
Scooter on!

·
Registered
787 Posts
BikerMike, let me see if I can address your questions. I have a 2002 SilverWing with a little over 17,000 miles on it. My preference would have been an 03 Burgman because the seat was much more comfortable and I liked the storage compartments in the fairing better. I was not willing to spend the extra $2150 difference in price. For me, the Honda won out.

As far as reliability, I have had absolutely no problems. Valve clearance check and drive belt replacement are recommended by Honda at 16,000 miles. Spark plugs are rather costly at around $8 each, and are usually a special order item. Tires should last between 10-12000 miles a set. If you like "jack rabbit" starts, figure on a new rear tire at around 5-7000 miles. Since I rarely ride much over 55mph on my daily commute, I average 49-52 mpg. Of course this is using data from the scooter's odometer which I suspect has the standard error.

As far as long highway rides, I would imagine the SilverWing would be similar to your 400 Burgman as far as handling and fairing protection. The 600cc twin cylinder engine on the Honda has much better acceleration with less vibration than your Suzuki.

The Honda is about 60lbs or so heavier if that would be an issue for your wife. Seat height is also 1.7 inches higher. If the Honda dealer will allow a test ride, take one even if it is simply around the parking lot to make certain you are both comfortable on the SilverWing.

For what it is worth, I based my choice of scooters on the engine and cost. I like the brisk acceleration and smooth performance of a twin cylinder over any of the single cylinders I tested. Since the scooter is my daily commuter and not intended for extended highway trips, long distance comfort was not the greatest issue for me or I would have purchased the Burgman 650.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 2005 silver Burgman. It is actually supposed to be my wife's, but she has yet to get her motorcycle license so the 800 miles on it are mainly from me. If she doesn't start riding it by Spring I may be putting it up for sale. It is a great bike with amazing acceleration for its size.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MesquiteBob said:
a J&M JMCB2003 CB/Stereo/WX unit,
Mesquite Bob
Bob,
How's the sound system on this unit?
How many speakers are there?
I alway's wondered how after market system would sound like on a SW.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have an Aprila 150 Scarabeo scooter. Its great for the short trips and for parking at the front door of the local Harley shop. I usually get more questions than scowls when I do that. I am thinking of upsizing to the Burgman 400 for my commute and save the wing for the weekends. The main advantage for using a scooter for the commute is in stop and go traffic, no holding the clutch or hunting for neutral.

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
My wife has a 2004 SW and loves it, especially since we installed a "trike"kit on it..I rode it several times before we triked it and that little bugger will "scoot" :lol:

I did surprise several GW riders at work with the acceleration, took off the line and left them in my dust :lol: :lol:

They are a BLAST to ride, I wouldn't hesitate in getting another one for me to play around with, would be great for commuting to and from work and short errands around town....

They are too Cool.....

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Mike, the J&M JMCB2003 does not come with speakers. It hooks into the head set just like on the big wing. I mounted the CB antenna on a license plate bracket and ran the connecting wires through all the tupperware with the plug for the headset coming our under the seat on the left side. I also have a XM Roday II radio hooked up to it, as the JMCB unit allows for a stereo input. I have a splitter that I got from Kennedy that allows the voice (affectionately called "Bitchin' Betty") from the GPS to also come through the head set. I got the latest J&M head set and although it doesn't have much bass, it is one of the best I've heard, especially for a "less expensive" set. I can't hear the bass at highway speed anyway, so it doesn't matter to me. But for voice, such as CB and the GPS, it works just fine.

The unit itself attaches to the left handlebar and is held in place with a bracket that works with the left brake handle housing. It has a "trigger" just like the big wing for transmitting, and the unit works great.

Mesquite Bob

Mesquite Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts