GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
strongly considering a new touring gold wing. One of the things that I notice is that there is usually scraping taking routine turns and curves. Do you have issues with the scraping? Is it alarming to do so or is it rather light and the foot pegs move up slightly. Am I correct in that it is the pegs? Has anybody considered going up in tire height?
Thanks in advance!!

Bob

·
Registered
466 Posts
I never have scraping issues on “routine” turns or curves. The bike will lean so far, go beyond that and you touch. It’s a Gold Wing made for touring and if want a more involved canyon carver/knee dragging experience, you need to select another bike.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I think the 2017- Goldwings have inadequate suspension. I have not ridden a 2018+ so I can't really comment on those. I have less than $1000 in suspension upgrades on my motorcycle but I like the results that I have achieved.

I have a 2009 with Traxxion heavy duty springs in the front and a Progressive heavy duty rear springs, so my motorcycle does ride higher than stock. I have my highway pegs mounted on the vertical engine guard to keep that from scraping. I put my pegs down on the road often enough that I have steel pucks under the pegs to protect them. I also tend to ride on the aggressive side and shift at a higher RPM than most. I do scrape my pegs in routine corners, but it is my choice and not required. I live in Kansas where we don't have many corners, so I sometimes go a few miles out of town to play on a round about and see if I can drag my pegs all the way around it.

For me, the pegs act as feelers to tell me how far the bike is leaned over. My foot pegs will fold a significant amount before anything else drags. For me, it is not alarming at all when my pegs drag. I expect them too. However some people essentially never drag their pegs. It is a choice that you make as you negotiate a corner.

There are people on this board that ride their Goldwings very aggressively and there are those that don't. In my opinion there are few motorcycles that will both handle the canyons and the Interstate as well as the Goldwing. I would say the Goldwing is more of a touring bike that will handle spirited riding than a sport bike that will also deal with Interstates. Many if not most people will disagree with what I've ridden.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never have scraping issues on “routine” turns or curves. The bike will lean so far, go beyond that and you touch. It’s a Gold Wing made for touring and if want a more involved canyon carver/knee dragging experience, you need to select another bike.
I see that your bike is not stock with the Traxxion tie rods, is that your solution?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have Mick-O-Pegs installed and the bike will lean 35 degrees before making contact. I rode the Black Hills of SD in July and never made contact.

Cool!

Coming across the very windy flat plains of South Dakota on I-90 I swear I've had that lean angle just to keep the bike upright. :ROFLMAO:

·
Vendor
21,408 Posts
Those photos don't tell the whole story because the bike is unloaded and in a static situation. Put a rider on it and lean it over in a hard turn and you won't have nearly that much ground clearance. Hit a bump in mid turn and you'll have even less. Add a passenger and.... You get the idea.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
It is surprising how close the '18+ is to the '17- in terms of Lean Angle. It seems identical to me, although going too far seems to have more repercussions.

·
Registered
421 Posts
In the the garage the leaning angle looks good but ad a rider plus road conditions things change just saying
When I posted the above photos I assumed everyone would recognize this is a best case scenario and factor in the impact of each individuals riding style and bike loading.

My days of going into turns Hot with unknown road surface conditions ahead are over. I still like to run familiar twisties with some good speed and have not had an issue with dragging the pegs.

If you want to ride the Dragon like you were on a Sport Bike then I suggest a Sport Bike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
strongly considering a new touring gold wing. One of the things that I notice is that there is usually scraping taking routine turns and curves. Do you have issues with the scraping?
I have a 2018 GWT6 with stock suspension. I have never dragged anything on this touring bike after 9,600+ miles...and I don't intend to. It is very well designed with regard to lean angle, especially considering the intent for which it was designed. I also installed Rivco Flip Out highway pegs to ensure that they wouldn't scrape before something else did. I might (might) consider upgrading the suspension...but only after I've gotten my money's worth out of the OEM shocks!

·
Vendor
21,408 Posts
I agree Fred, so how does the Traxxion system help the wing??
The Traxxion springs don't sag as much, and give you more ground clearance, both front and rear. They also handle bumps in mid turn better and the bike tracks through a turn better without the suspension getting upset. This is due to both better damping and improved spring rates.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mick-O-Pegs on my 2018 DCT. These pegs are designed to allow you to get your feet forward and down low. You do have to get your feet back on the stock pegs going into turns so the MOP's can swing up and out of the way for max ground clearance.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
If you want to ride the Dragon like you were on a Sport Bike then I suggest a Sport Bike.
I think the Goldwing is a fun bike to push through the Dragon. This situation reminds me of a saying in the Miata community. They say, "It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow."

·
Vendor
21,408 Posts
If you like to ride in a spirited manner, I'd be really careful with those Mick-O-Pegs mounted like that. Once hard parts touch down in the front end, it's pretty much game over. Once they hit, weight will transfer off the front wheel and then you're in for a low-side. We've had a couple forum members on here find that out the hard way on the previous generation bike. I would advise you to ride a little more cautiously in corners if you have those on your bike.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts