GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Personally if I drag a peg I consider I overcooked it. Some guys like to drag pegs and other bits but im not in that school. Each to their own I guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not for me. I have the steel Pepsx pucks on my foot pegs. I have 3 years on mine and while they are very scratched, I'm not going to have to replace them any time soon.
Pepsx?? I had no idea. Wish I had some before I went to track day. Will be investing in a pair soon!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
strongly considering a new touring gold wing. One of the things that I notice is that there is usually scraping taking routine turns and curves. Do you have issues with the scraping? Is it alarming to do so or is it rather light and the foot pegs move up slightly. Am I correct in that it is the pegs? Has anybody considered going up in tire height?
Thanks in advance!!

Bob
Fact: This model Wing does not lean very far without scraping. Moreover, as I have experienced you can catch the engine guard very easily and end up flat on your face...like I said: as I have experienced already.

·
Registered
928 Posts
When you ride your Goldwing like this, scraping is inevitable.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Fact: This model Wing does not lean very far without scraping. Moreover, as I have experienced you can catch the engine guard very easily and end up flat on your face...like I said: as I have experienced already.
Riding an '09 with upgraded springs and triple tree, I routinely scrape pegs and have been known to be scraping pegs and lean further into the corner knowing that my foot peg will fold a significant amount before hard parts start to dig into the pavement. I appreciate that cushion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Love the stock suspension for interstates (which I avoid as much as possible) or leisurely back road riding but the front end is just to soft for fast backroads like the dragon. I have bottomed out the front end in curves when encountering bumps multiple times and it is disconcerting. After I finish my current farkle project the next one will be the full Traxxon Dynamics suspension upgrade.(y)

·
Registered
421 Posts
doug.crocker said:
I have Mick-O-Pegs installed and the bike will lean 35 degrees before making contact. I rode the Black Hills of SD in July and never made contact.
But thats not accurate.as there is no load on the bike

Point taken.

As I stated earlier: Thought it would be obvious to everyone that the photo posted depicts the best case scenario and depending on your riding style extrapolate from there accordingly.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Was taking a rather sharp corner the other day on my 2018 wing tour and caught a peg on the manhole cover. Other than that have never touched down.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
It is surprising how close the '18+ is to the '17- in terms of Lean Angle. It seems identical to me, although going too far seems to have more repercussions.
you gotta be careful with this brother: I caught my engine guard deep enough that I lost traction and slid into the side of the road. This bike does not lean worth a crap--lets just face it and ride it like a touring bike: easy!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
you gotta be careful with this brother: I caught my engine guard deep enough that I lost traction and slid into the side of the road. This bike does not lean worth a crap--lets just face it and ride it like a touring bike: easy!
I hear ya! I wrote up my scrape, it was entirely unintentional following someone on a SuperDuke on a road that I really didn't expect the two curves. Haven't scraped since.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I hear ya! I wrote up my scrape, it was entirely unintentional following someone on a SuperDuke on a road that I really didn't expect the two curves. Haven't scraped since.
I shared a post on my crash. Luckly, I slid into a grassy area that was pretty muddy and gooshy from previous rain so I did not get hurt but for a couple of bruises, and the bike received minor: torn right rear view mirror, a couple of cracked panels...all replaced now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Of topic here, but just noticed the "rack" you have on your non-tour.. can you provide a link? thanks
The rack is of my own design / build. You might be interested in this thread discussing mounting aftermarket trunks and luggage racks on the 2018+ goldwing standard:

Need Help with a few measurements please

As I state in the above thread, looks like the best available aftermarket rear luggage rack at this time is the Show Chrome unit. I had their rack of similar design on my F6B and it was very sturdy.

GW BLACK LUGGAGE RACK

I actually got quotes to produce 50 copies of my rack, billet aluminum, machining and hard black anodized in the USA. But to date have been unable to get costs low enough to compete with the $155.00 Show Chrome unit.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The rack is of my own design / build. You might be interested in this thread discussing mounting aftermarket trunks and luggage racks on the 2018+ goldwing standard:

Need Help with a few measurements please

As I state in the above thread, looks like the best available aftermarket rear luggage rack at this time is the Show Chrome unit. I had their rack of similar design on my F6B and it was very sturdy.

GW BLACK LUGGAGE RACK

I actually got quotes to produce 50 copies of my rack, billet aluminum, machining and hard black anodized in the USA. But to date have been unable to get costs low enough to compete with the $155.00 Show Chrome unit.
Out of curiosity what would the cost per unit have been at 50 units? Thanks

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
No one talks about Yellow Wolf very much anymore. I'm sure his videos are still on YouTube. One thing you might notice is that Yellow Wolf very rarely scrapped anything but of course was one of the fastest riders on The Dragon. One time Yellow Wolf mounted a camera facing his body rather than the road and that really looked like a workout. He would swing his butt off the seat and then jump over to the other side for the next curve.

Here is the video:
(well may he did scrape a little).

41 - 60 of 63 Posts