GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Out of curiosity what would the cost per unit have been at 50 units? Thanks
Been on the road for work the last two weeks, sorry for the late response.

I have an engineering & manufacturing background. Had an aftermarket luggage rack on my F6B made of 1/4" aluminium plate and it bent over time so I knew I needed more beef.

On my 2018+ design I tried to strike a balance between strength, simplicity of design and appearance. If I was going to produce the rack in volume I wanted it to be produced in the US for quality control purposes which adds to the cost. Quality "Black Hardcoat Anodizing" adds cost as well but really holds up well to abuse.

My first pass indicated materials, machining, Hardcoat Anodizing, assembly and packaging would come in at around $500 sale price each based on a 50 unit batch. Right now I'm too busy but by summer I plan to take another look at potentially getting the cost down further.

I seem to be in the minority here. Most 2018+ Goldwing Standard owners seem to be opting for adding a removable trunk for storage rather than a luggage rack. Personally I just don't like the trunk look and can carry more riding 2-up on my rear rack than will fit into a trunk.

I've seen little interest on this site and elsewhere for a High Quality rear luggage rack which is a factor I'm considering as well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
strongly considering a new touring gold wing. One of the things that I notice is that there is usually scraping taking routine turns and curves. Do you have issues with the scraping? Is it alarming to do so or is it rather light and the foot pegs move up slightly. Am I correct in that it is the pegs? Has anybody considered going up in tire height?
Thanks in advance!!

Bob
2018 goldwing tour manual tranny.
No – have not considered taller tires.
26,000 miles – plenty of spirited twisties (including the dragon) and have never dragged a peg. But then again I do not push this bike like I would a sport bike. I don’t drive like an old fart but would not be comfortable leaning this bike far enough to scrape the pegs.

Personally am quite happy with the stock suspension. Usually ride 1 up (190 lbs) with probably about 20-30 lbs of stuff in my bags.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts