GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 GL1800 that I bought used several years ago. I don't ride it that much due to lingering physical issues, I need a couple of surgeries, but that's another story. Anyway, most of my riding experience has been on sportbikes, but I have also owned a Ducati Multistrada and a Harley Road King. I also have five years of riding experience as a motorcycle officer many years ago, riding both the Harley and Kawasaki Police 1000. I sold my Road King after realizing it was a poor touring machine with repeating mechanical issues and replaced it with the Goldwing. I like the bike, but I noticed pretty much straight away its tendency for the pegs to scrape the asphalt while traversing twisty roads. I'm not talking about going fast either, cruising along with the issue being more apparent on undulating twisty roads.

I lived with the condition and thought it was because the bike didn't have enough ground clearance, unlike the Road King. I have to say the Harley was superior at handling twisting roads. However, I did a few things to its suspension, a frame stabilizer, Suspension Technology shocks, and new fork inserts. Previously, the bike wasn't as stable as I wanted it to be while taking on longer and faster curves, it wallowed and also nose-dived while stopping. After the above installs, the bike was much improved and I was very impressed with this aspect of performance.

I didn't do anything to the Wing, the scrapping was annoying so I decided to simply go slower to avoid the peg-to-road contact. However, on my last ride to a destination that I have traveled over multiple times, I was in the process of negotiating a mountain S curve when a peg touched down and the contact caused the bike to veer to the left, just enough to send me on a collision course with the opposing guard rail. This wayward direction was exasperated by me entering this part of the curve a little high. I reacted by not touching the brakes, shifting my body weight to the right side, and counter-steered right as well. At that time, I was going left to right on the last section of the S curve. For a moment or two, I felt I was going to collide with the guard rail, but all of a sudden during my right turning effort, the right peg touched down, and again, that caused the bike to pivot right and I was able to continue turning away from the guard rail and back to my side of the roadway. Yeah, it was a little hairy, I'm not used to scrapping boards or pegs, knees yes.

This event was kind of a wake-up call and the more I thought about it, I felt the frequent touchdowns indicated a possible problem with the suspension or maybe because the bike was too low to the ground. It happens exclusively on undulating and twisty mountain roads, I don't recall having a problem like this making turns on flat terrain. I looked into suspension upgrades and the name of Traxxion Dynamics came up, I heard of the company years ago, but I never have used any of their products. Their solution sounds solid enough, yet I have not investigated further rider feedback. If something like this is what I need to cure this issue, I'm not resigned to spending that much money for their suspension upgrades, I would be more inclined to sell the bike and pick up another touring machine that has better ground clearance. I've dumped a lot of upgrade money on the bikes I have owned, especially the four Ducatis and the Harley. I still own a Ducati 999R, but after being retired for over a year now, I'm no longer in the mood to spend money on a machine that I thought would be ready to ride without a glaring issue such as this. However, I have mixed feelings about selling the bike which I perceive as possibly dangerous, I don't want to hand the keys over to somebody unless the bike is safe to ride.

Are there any other equipment alternatives or ideas out there? Could changing out the rear shock be a solution or increasing preload? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I too have an 08 but I have trouble scraping pegs. I purchased her in 13 and the first time (15) I had the forks serviced we changed the oem fork springs to HD Progressive. We also replaced the rear spring with HD Progressive leaving the oem shock but making sure it was topped off so the pre-load kicks in at 0. I run the pre-load from 18-25 all the time. I even had to put a spacer on my side stand so she didn't lean so hard at rest. I Really have to push it hard on the curves to scrape a peg even with my better half on the back.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
929 Posts
Took a while to read all that, but I can understand your concerns. Maybe the newest generation of Wing would fit your riding style better? Otherwise, give Max a call over at Traxxion Dynamics. He's helped many a rider just like you with new suspenders. It will indeed make a big difference, but the question is do ya plan to keep the big girl long enough to justify the expense?

On another note, I wouldn't be concerned at all about selling the bike to another and worrying about THEIR safety. If I bought an older Gold Wing and was warned about scralping pegs by the owner, it wouldn't concern me at all since I don't ride aggressive enough to ever touch a peg.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
1st off, are you talking about the rider pegs or highway pegs on the crash bars?

My guess is the rear suspension is needing the preload serviced. Many of the gl1800 wings came from the factory with low oil in the preload pump and line and so the preload doesn't work fully. Thus you are riding low in the rear.

Do the preload test and service it. This video will show you how to test and repair your preload(it is just a hydraulic pump to add pressure to the spring)

As far as Traxxion full suspension upgrade, it has been the best money I've spent on my 08. I play hard in the twisties, no more early rider peg scrapes. Yes I do scrape at times but not like the stock suspension did. I have a friend that is the top wing tech in San Diego and when I was thinking of getting an 1800 to replace my totalled 1500 he said that honda built the wing suspension for a 150 lb Japanese rider. When I did the Full Monty upgrade, it was night and day on handling to the stock suspension. It raised the bike @ 3/4"-1".
The wing will outlast your riding lifetime so the expense will be far cheaper compared to Harley upgrades. I've put 150,000 miles on my 08 since I bought it in 2013 with 15,000 on it. My plan is to hit at least 500,000 on it before I ride into heaven, Lord willing.

Reactions: JoeHall and Jack2

·
Registered
391 Posts
On my 2003, I put Progressive Monotubes in the front and a new Progressive spring on the rear. It gave me 1.25 inches of ride height back and MUCH less scraping of the footpegs. I also put All Balls Tapered Roller Bearings in the steering stem and a Traxxion Dynamics Fork Brace and wow, what a transformation. It is as good as the Full Monty from Traxxion, no, but I'd bet you get 80% of the benefit at 25% of the price. If I could have afforded it, I'd have done the Full Monty on my 2003. I'm saving for the Traxxion suspension for my 2019 DCT Tour. Someday....

Reactions: biggersm

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Check rear preload as indicated above, then run preload at 25 all the time. Better ride, better ground clearance.

Reactions: Jack2

·
Registered
124 Posts
Being from the Midwest, I didn't scrape pegs very often, maybe 5 times a week on a round-a-bout or off ramp. When a fork seal exploded, I took that rebuild as an opportunity to upgrade fork springs. (Was in there anyway). I went with the springs traxxion recommended for my weight. (One standard, one heavy duty). And yes, I moved the forks up like they recommend. Haven't drug a peg since I did it, and their springs were around the same price as progressive and race tek.

Forgot to mention this was my 02, but I thought they are the same. One question I have, does your 08 not have spring loaded foot pegs? I would have thought they would flip up rather than dig in and throw you one way or the other?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Progressive mono tubes and rear spring on my 03 also, I rarely drag pegs and ride pretty aggressively in the curves. My highway floor boards have a nice bevel at the bottom of them though. With the correct suspension under these bikes it is amazing what they can do given the size and weight,

·
Registered
199 Posts
Having just converted from a 2003 GL1800 to a 2013 Electra Glide, I can honestly say that the Goldwing should run circles around the HD in the twisty stuff.

I would suspect that your bike is sitting low, probably as a result of saggy rear suspension. Trying increasing the setting to firmer and see if that helps. I could drag pegs, but only when getting some really good lean.

Reactions: noviwinger

·
Registered
217 Posts
On my '15, when I am just generally cruising around I keep my suspension around 15 on the gauge. When I am intending to hit the twisties, I pump it up to 25 to give me more clearance. I do really enjoy the twisties on my Wing and I am not worried about scrapping the pegs, though my wife does not like the twisties, she loves the ride, but hates leaning. LOL

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Start by checking the rider sag of the forks and shock. When I bought my 2006 it had something like 55 or 60 mm of sag when it should have had 40 - 45 mm. I took the springs out and they measured to allowable Honda specification of length so the springs were OK. The rear shock didn't begin adding preload until more than halfway through it's designed travel. I'm light so I started by adding spacers in the front forks to get sag to 45 mm and I serviced the rear shock preload mechanism to top off the oil in it so I could add preload as Honda and Showa designed it. That took care of the problem for me.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Having just converted from a 2003 GL1800 to a 2013 Electra Glide, I can honestly say that the Goldwing should run circles around the HD in the twisty stuff.

I would suspect that your bike is sitting low, probably as a result of saggy rear suspension. Trying increasing the setting to firmer and see if that helps. I could drag pegs, but only when getting some really good lean.
It certainly will run circles but that would be in the acceleration out of corners. I think Harleys lag just a little in the corners because of their higher center of gravity. From my experience running with the HOGs in general, I can outrun em in the twisties but an experienced driver has made me back off from tryin to keep up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It certainly will run circles but that would be in the acceleration out of corners. I think Harleys lag just a little in the corners because of their higher center of gravity. From my experience running with the HOGs in general, I can outrun em in the twisties but an experienced driver has made me back off from tryin to keep up.
I felt my GL1800 was much more top heavy than my Electra Glide. However, I read somewhere that lean angles for my bike were 31 and 33 degrees for left and right respectively. The large primary cover restricts left more than right lean angles.

Even "MotorMan" says Goldwings are amazing handling machines for their size, and superior to the HD brand in that respect.

My HD has great pull in the right gear, but my GL1800 would pull in any gear. :)

I knew all of this before I switched. If I want to lean I have bikes in my garage ultimately more talented than myself, including one that I think mocks me every time I walk past it....

Reactions: 98valk
1 - 15 of 15 Posts