GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Meguairs ultimate compound or ultimate polish will do what you need. and you can get it anywhere

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Meguairs ultimate compound or ultimate polish will do what you need. and you can get it anywhere

Will it work on windshields as well? I have a few very fine little scratches in mine I would like to get out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Will it work on windshields as well? I have a few very fine little scratches in mine I would like to get out.

if you are talking about your bike windshield, I would use novus plastic polish, its made for bike windshields....you can get it at the Harley dealership......if you are talking car glass, the megs will work fine

·
Registered
679 Posts
Glare "Spider" is specially made for swirl marks and light scratches. Leaves a glassy-looking finish, also. Pricey but easy to use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just MTCW, you could get an F4 shield and leave the polish and wax at home. No need, no scratches.....windex and paper towels will do it.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
It depends on what type of windshield you have.

If it is the OEM, your options are limited, because it is made from hardcoated Lexan Polycarbonate. Even though it is more resistant to scratching than Acrylic, they do eventually scratch. The hardcoat not only resists buffing, but if you buff too much, you will go through the thin coating and destroy the shield. I had limited success buffing mine with 3M plastic cleaner, (Novus #2 and Mequiars works too), but it only gave me another year.

You can use an actual polish from those three mfrs, but polishes are just fillers. They don't get rid of the scratches. They just fill them in and make them harder to see. It has to be reapplied every couple of weeks as the film dissipates.

If you have an aftermarket Acrylic, they scratch easier, but scratches are very easy to remove. There is no coating on them, and all but the deepest scratches can be removed with one of the plastic cleaners. Use a microfiber or soft terry cloth so that you don't add new scratches.

My OEM+2 lasted 7 years before it became too bad to use, and I abuse my windshields.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
It depends on what type of windshield you have.

If it is the OEM, your options are limited, because it is made from hardcoated Lexan Polycarbonate. Even though it is more resistant to scratching than Acrylic, they do eventually scratch. The hardcoat not only resists buffing, but if you buff too much, you will go through the thin coating and destroy the shield. I had limited success buffing mine with 3M plastic cleaner, (Novus #2 and Mequiars works too), but it only gave me another year.

You can use an actual polish from those three mfrs, but polishes are just fillers. They don't get rid of the scratches. They just fill them in and make them harder to see. It has to be reapplied every couple of weeks as the film dissipates.

If you have an aftermarket Acrylic, they scratch easier, but scratches are very easy to remove. There is no coating on them, and all but the deepest scratches can be removed with one of the plastic cleaners. Use a microfiber or soft terry cloth so that you don't add new scratches.

My OEM+2 lasted 7 years before it became too bad to use, and I abuse my windshields.

BINGO Larry, that reminds me of a post that I read where a rider tried to buff his OEM shield and it turned MILKY as he buffed. The clearcoat on a car or bike will do the same.

The Windbender is not coated so their technique is good for uncoated shields.

I recently saw a tip, on the Speed Channel, about how to restore clouded headlight protective lenses on cars that have been parked in the sun for a couple of years, as in the Southwest. They used the wet sanding and polishing technique.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I'll second the GLARE products. Excellent, I use them and have found no better.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
The OP never mentioned windshields.
I looked back, and you are right. I wrongly thought that the windshield question was from the OP. My bad!

The OP never did state what he was trying to remove scratches from, the paint, or the windshield. I guess we will have to wait until he returns.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Hey whats the best product to remove rub blemishes,swirls,scratches?thanks.
You're probably going to need an orbital polisher to permanently remove swirls from clear coat. Some waxes can cover them up for a while, but it you really want to remove them, I don't think you'll have a lot of luck doing it by hand.

Autogeek has some good kits that include a buffer and the proper pads.

http://www.autogeek.net/xmtpocaliswr.html

·
Registered
4,091 Posts

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Griot's Garage has a 3 inch orbital polisher that is more suited to use on the Wing... wielding a 6 or 9 inch polisher is going to cause more problems then it solves. Even with the 3 inch you have to be very careful.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/professional+3+inch+random+orbital.do?sortby=ourPicks
That's a valid point.

You might try a hand rubbed product first and see if you could get satisfactory results with it before going to the orbital polisher.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts