GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was out in the garage moving stuff in and out, and scratched the real of trailer off of the highway boards(folded up) on bike. I was wondering if some type of compound would help blend it in or would the touch up paint I have from Bushtec would be better. I know the paint would help fill it, but I am more interested in having it blend in where it is hardly noticed versus having it overfilled with paint. Any tips or tricks of using compounds or touch up paint would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Scratch

Years ago when I was doing body work I used to touch up cars and trucks here and there. On a small scratch and when I really wanted to do a good job I would use an artist brush, real small. Thin the paint some and repeat layer after layer until I reached the point of exact color. Sometimes I used a Magnifyer to blow it up for me. Just touch inside the scratch and build it up slowly waiting about 20min for each coat. But that was a long time ago, maybe there's something new or differant now. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I did the same thing :)

I did identically the same thing, un-hooked my quantum and rolling it by the wing nicked the back bumper on the foot peg. My trailer is yellow, so i touched it up with the paint that came with the trailer.
"Q" tips make an excellent touch up applicator. My tiny scratch is barely noticable after i touched it up. I'm trying to be more careful now. JD 8)

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
scratch in trailer

Have used scotch tape to cover the paint around an overfilled scratch and then sanded it down with 400 and 800 wet or dry paper. If it's a slightly curved surface you can get right down to the old surrounding paint. A little polish and you are there.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Can you actually feel the scratch with your finger nail? If so you need touch up paint, if not then a light sanding with 1500 grit paper and 3M Perfectit III rubbing compound will do the trick. Never use anything corser than 1500 unless you are wanting to repaint the entire trailer.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Clean the scratch with alcohol first to remove any imbedded wax. Use a toothpick rather than an artist brush, putting only a little paint on the tip and wiping excess on a piece of paper before "picking" the paint into the scratch. Clean the toothpick on the paper each time before redipping the point. In fact, you can load the point of the toothpick from the paper with more control to avoid having a big drop on the point. Taping the edges with scotch tape can help keep the paint only in the scratch too but wipe the tape on your jeans first to minimize the stick so that it doesn't pull up the edge of the paint when removed. Some very fine color paper (1200 grit) wet/dry used wet on a block will level the touch up area and then a very fine polishing compound and Honda polish will finish the job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts