GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best product to use for removing what I would consider small but longish scratches on the saddle bags? I have researched this a bit and have found a lot of info on cleaners and waxes but nothing on this particular topic. But then again I may have missed it.

I also have a large scratch on the fairing that goes all the way down to the black. Gotta love those kids. I assume I will need touch up paint here. Anyone know where I can get some touch up paint for my model year color? :shrug:

2008 Titanium Wing HPNA

Any and all advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
scratches

In the refinish industry we say if you can "hang" your fingernail on the scratch, it is time for a refiinish. If it is just a scuff or VERY minor scratch, you MAY be able to buff it out. I would use a VERY MILD compound and try doing this by hand, not a power buffer. If you are not familiar with buffing, you COULD either burn the clear or buff through it. Neither is what you want. Best of luck, Dave

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
As Dave stated above, rub it out by hand, unless you know what your doing with a polish wheel, you can and will burn though quick if not careful.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You aint going to believe this but I recommend tooth paste. Not the gell kind and floride doesnt help, but the old fashioned white paste.

I caught my garage door wood frame with my mirror backing out and left a few micro scratches on it. I took cheap white tooth paste and a damp microfiber cloth and with a little rubbing they are out. Do not use paper towels. Do not use rubbing compound. IF you dont have any microfiber clothe get some.

Now years ago we had a product called finness. and I used it to bring the fine shine to a clear coat paint job. But that was years ago when I painted cars as a hobby. Not sure what they sell now. But Finness was what appeared to be a liquified tooth paste. Since then I have taken scratches out of clear coat paint jobs in the cars. Now the finger nail test as mentioned is important, if she is that deep then you may want a professional to patch her up.

But the toothpaste wont hurt the paint job but remember the cloth must be damp, the paste works better with water. Oh and I find that tooth paste will work on stained marble, finished wood products, Patton leather shoes, and is such a fine abrasive can be used on human teeth.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I use Turtle Wax Polishing Compound (as opposed to rubbing compound). I have had great results with this product on both my Silver '05 and my wife's Candy Wineberry '87 Aspy. Be sure NOT to use a circular motion when applying it, only side to side or up and down. I have removed several light scratches and some places where a shoe dragged across the tank and scuffed the finish. Deeper scratches may take several tries before you buff them out. If they are real deep, only refinishing will take them out.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Novus Famous Plastic Polish they have a 3 step scratch remover works well. Once you remove them use some Liquid Glass polish great stuff, puts a nice hard protective shine on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This stuff is awesome. If you have a minor scratch or scuff, this will polish it out and leave a shine like the rest of the bike. If you are working on a deep scratch, it will take awhile, but small stuff, can't be beat. I keep it everywhere. Use it to remove paint from my glasses after painting, scuffs on the windshield, everything. But, I don't use it on teeth.

SIMICHROME POLISHING PASTE

·
Registered
922 Posts
Take it to a painter and see what they can do and for how much before you do anything.
I have the habit of making things worse and not better.
It should not cost you anything for them to tell you what it would cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts