GL1800Riders Forums banner

Scratches in the Tupperwear

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  WeKneeDragger 
#1 ·
I have a black 06. It is now anout 75 days old to me. I have really fine scratches (swirils) in the clearcoat. I have used "S" rubbing compound and still ave them. Is this something I will have to live with or is my answer to paint with a metalic paint or what...?

Any suggestions other than
"gee you probably shouldn't have gotten a black bike 'cause they all do that..."(LOL) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Swirls in clear coat

If the scratches or swirls are in the clear coat, they can be buffed or rubbed out. If you do it by hand it will take some work if the scratches are very deep. If there are only a very few scratches, you can paint some clear coat over the scratches and remove the excess with very fine wet or dry paper (2000 grit or finer). Then buff out with a polishing glaze compound. Don't use rubbing compound or the paste polishing compound. They are too coarse and will leave scratches of their own.

I have used the polishing glaze on a stock windshield with good results.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Spring, I also have a black '06 and have had many black vehicles. I would recommend using a high quality, non abrasive polish on the Wing. When you polish, DO NOT apply or remove the polish with a circular motion but rather use "straight line" strokes. Using the old "wax on, wax off" motion encourages swirls. I also would encourage using a "micro fiber" cloth to both apply polish and remove the "haze" when the polish is dry.I have been painting vehicles for 43 years and black does not HAVE to swirl, but you do have to use extra care in its maintaince. Hope this helps, kruz ez, Dave

#6 ·
One thing you have to be extra careful about is dusting and washing a Black motorcycle. The darker the color, the more susceptible it will be to show scratchs.
A very soft and clean cloth should be used. I never found a good way to remove the dust from a Black painted surface without some fine scratching resulting.
A Black vehicle of any king is very dificult to take care of the cosmetic appearance. Not impossible buy more difficult than other colors.

#8 ·
I had some nasty scratches in CBC and used Slam Bam on it. The bike cleaned up like new, so I finished it off with Rejex. Still looks good. I get my state inspection done at a body shop and he had some stuff from France or Germany that rubbed the scratches right out also. I was going to buy some, but the Slam Bam was easier

#10 ·
I have a dark red 2006. It shows the small scratches as well. I bought a tube of "Meguiars Scratch X" at Wally-World, it works great! Having a dark color bike is a lot of work (keeping it clean and scratch free), but the pay off is when you see it in the sun light. I have received many great compliments on my bike. Best of luck.

#11 ·
Here is what I have found that will take the scratches out.

Don't laugh...now.

Really....don't laugh!

Use Honda Metal polish that you can get from either your honda dealer or from Hal. A little goes a very long way and it works not only on metal(aluminium) but the tupperware as well. You will NOT be disappointed.

I have used it to remove both scratches and black heal marks from the lower tupperware parts. Makes it all look just like new.

#13 ·
Lewis/EC said:
Best stuff I have used is "Imperial Hand Glaze" from 3M. Paint shops use it. Makes dark colors look new.
Yeah, good ole Imperial Hand Glaze has been around for years.
Just remember that glaze washes off with water, unlike a good wax.
Glaze also works best when there are several layers of it
and the only way to get those layers is by repeat applications.
Also be sure to stick with the same mixture base (typically petroleum or water based)
because if you use one and then later use the other,
they fight each other and make it difficult to get the clear shine.
One very common thing that causes a lot of "swirls" when you are trying
to get that "poured glass" look is "fabric softeners".
Don't use fabric softeners in the wash or dry cycles when you wash your cleaning towels.
If there's softener in the fabric you can rub all day and still have the swirls.
OK. OK. I'll stop now. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

#17 ·
Black boat - Sold it
Black dually - Sold it
Favorite color - Black
Wing color - :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.