GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2015 GL1800 and my screen failed to boot. What is likely the cause of this? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, I have a 2015 GL1800 and my screen failed to boot. What is likely the cause of this? Thanks.

After the Navigation Screen is shown for a few seconds, the screen go blank and the Navigation Screen reappears, and the cycle repeats.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Check the system SD card is seated properly. Your bike has two SD cards for the Nav system. One is the trip SD card and is the one you load your trip on. It is the in the upper slot. The system card is in the lower slot and is covered by a rubber boot. If the system card is corrupt of not seated properly that may cause the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the system SD card is seated properly. Your bike has two SD cards for the Nav system. One is the trip SD card and is the one you load your trip on. It is the in the upper slot. The system card is in the lower slot and is covered by a rubber boot. If the system card is corrupt of not seated properly that may cause the problem.

I have removed the lower SD card and the screen shows ‘Insert SD Card’. After I have cleaned up the contact points and re-inserted in the card, the system still shows the same fault.

·
Registered
881 Posts
From what you are saying I would check the SD card. Does it do the same thing , go blank and reboot, if the card is not inserted ?
Can you check the files , read it in a computer.
Do you know anyone with a 2015 gl1800 nav that would let you try or make a copy of they card ? The maps would be locked but it
might help determine the problem.

Also is the bike still under warranty ? If so get it to the dealer before the warranty runs out or get the extended warranty if you can.
The Nav unit in the 2012 - 2017s are very expensive , $3,800 msrp, to replace. If it is the card than it is about $150.00 for a new one.
I don't know if copying someone else's card for use in your bike will work. I have never tried it.

Please keep me updated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what you are saying I would check the SD card. Does it do the same thing , go blank and reboot, if the card is not inserted ?
Can you check the files , read it in a computer.
Do you know anyone with a 2015 gl1800 nav that would let you try or make a copy of they card ? The maps would be locked but it
might help determine the problem.

Also is the bike still under warranty ? If so get it to the dealer before the warranty runs out or get the extended warranty if you can.
The Nav unit in the 2012 - 2017s are very expensive , $3,800 msrp, to replace. If it is the card than it is about $150.00 for a new one.
I don't know if copying someone else's card for use in your bike will work. I have never tried it.

Please keep me updated.

Yeap, I am going to get a card from another GL1800 to try on mine to see if it’s the same problem. My bike is out of warranty. I’ve tried copying someone else’s map previously and it didn’t work. Worst still, it also caused the card that was copied to be corrupted as well. So, I know that the cards are software protected.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yeap, I am going to get a card from another GL1800 to try on mine to see if it’s the same problem. My bike is out of warranty. I’ve tried copying someone else’s map previously and it didn’t work. Worst still, it also caused the card that was copied to be corrupted as well. So, I know that the cards are software protected.

The cards are not copy protected. I have copied the many cards for people and saved the OEM card as a backup to keep it safe. The mapset
is connected to your bike but that can be bypassed. Also I have copied the latest system files to others cards with out any problem.

PM sent.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys, just want to update here that I’ve resolved the problem by spraying a electrical contact cleaner into the SD Card slot, inserted and removed the SD Card a few times and the problem was solved. Thanks guys for your valuable suggestions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts