GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might have read there was an issue with 2 similar screen names. One was Blue Thunder and the other was BlueThunder. BlueThunder is a friend and riding buddy of mine. He called me today and said that the Administrator had contacted him and requested he change his screen name. It's a shame but I think he will probably leave the forum. He is on multiple forums with the same name and is active on many of them. I guess we need to run a check before registering a name to make certain that nothing similar is in use.The question is how would one do that?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
As some of you might have read there was an issue with 2 similar screen names. One was Blue Thunder and the other was BlueThunder. BlueThunder is a friend and riding buddy of mine. He called me today and said that the Administrator had contacted him and requested he change his screen name. It's a shame but I think he will probably leave the forum. He is on multiple forums with the same name and is active on many of them. I guess we need to run a check before registering a name to make certain that nothing similar is in use.The question is how would one do that?
Tools, Member list.

This is kind of ridiculous. How many Wingnuts are there? Or GoldWingers?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I'd make sure it's a real admin because this makes absolutely no sense. Look at all the similar names...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Seems to me like if this was a valid issue, Admin would have posted a public notice first, at least, rather than contact an individual directly.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
124 Posts
How do you plan on defining what is "too close"? And how do you plan on making people change names? Take a look at how many Bobs are in the list or how many Blue..., Black.... or wing... names are out there. Is "MyWing " too close to "MiWing"?

This should have been ignored when old Blue first started to whine. I am positive the users of this forum are more than capable of identifying who is who, even when the names are minutely different.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
One mod has already contacted admin. Something sounds off , just sayin. We will dig into this , but I suspect something was miscommuncated .

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One mod has already contacted admin. Something sounds off , just sayin. We will dig into this , but I suspect something was miscommuncated .
Thanks Rail, i agree something sounds fishy. There are dozens of screen names that are similar just as my friends name was. That said the 2 names are not the same.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Thanks Rail, i agree something sounds fishy. There are dozens of screen names that are similar just as my friends name was. That said the 2 names are not the same.
We will look into it . Also pm sending shortly .

·
Registered
756 Posts
This seems weird. If someone already has a substantially similar name, why would you as the second or third in, want the aggravation and confusion. Surely someone could come up with a creative variation and still be unique.

-OTF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gulfrider

·
Registered
84 Posts
I want to thank you'all for your support. I have been contacted by the Admin who has requested that I change my username. Normally I would not respond publicly to this until a final "ruling" has been made by the powers that be. Seeing how this has already become public, a few statements would be in order.

First, I had no idea that "Blue Thunder" existed. I belong to 9 different forums including a Jeep forum. I use a common username, BlueThunder, in all forums so that others know who I am and know it is the same person. I also use the same avatar as well.

Second, "Blue Thunder" has been a member since 2006 and has 57 posts. That is 4 posts per year. I have been a member on this site (introduced by MiWinger (thank you as this is a great site!) since January 2019. I have 26 posts in 3 months. That is 2 years worth of postings Blue Thunder has done. I wouldn't be so disappointed had Blue Thunder been an active member who regularly contributes to this wonderful site.

And finally, and this is more of a problem for the moderators and administrators of this site, how will the site handle Blu Thunder, or Blew Thunder or Blue Funder or any other derivation. Or as already posted, MyWing vs. MiWing. I could go on and on regarding similar usernames. I don't envy the mods/admins on tackling this issue.

On the first site I joined in 2006, I have over 15,000 posts. How does one handle a username change if similar username who joined in 2005 with 40 posts? Like I said, I don't envy the mods/admins in handling this possible issue.

I believe the members on this site are savvy enough to distinguish myself from "Blue Thunder", especially with my distinctive avatar. I love this site and will continue to post my knowledge, thoughts, opinions and other nonsense.

Thanks again to all who have expressed support. And best of all, I look forward to making new friends on the various rides!

Brian aka BlueThunder

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
I want to thank you'all for your support. I have been contacted by the Admin who has requested that I change my username. Normally I would not respond publicly to this until a final "ruling" has been made by the powers that be. Seeing how this has already become public, a few statements would be in order.

First, I had no idea that "Blue Thunder" existed. I belong to 9 different forums including a Jeep forum. I use a common username, BlueThunder, in all forums so that others know who I am and know it is the same person. I also use the same avatar as well.

Second, "Blue Thunder" has been a member since 2006 and has 57 posts. That is 4 posts per year. I have been a member on this site (introduced by MiWinger (thank you as this is a great site!) since January 2019. I have 26 posts in 3 months. That is 2 years worth of postings Blue Thunder has done. I wouldn't be so disappointed had Blue Thunder been an active member who regularly contributes to this wonderful site.

And finally, and this is more of a problem for the moderators and administrators of this site, how will the site handle Blu Thunder, or Blew Thunder or Blue Funder or any other derivation. Or as already posted, MyWing vs. MiWing. I could go on and on regarding similar usernames. I don't envy the mods/admins on tackling this issue.

On the first site I joined in 2006, I have over 15,000 posts. How does one handle a username change if similar username who joined in 2005 with 40 posts? Like I said, I don't envy the mods/admins in handling this possible issue.

I believe the members on this site are savvy enough to distinguish myself from "Blue Thunder", especially with my distinctive avatar. I love this site and will continue to post my knowledge, thoughts, opinions and other nonsense.

Thanks again to all who have expressed support. And best of all, I look forward to making new friends on the various rides!

Brian aka BlueThunder
Please Pm me with who contacted you and by what for of contact . Thx Rail

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Moved thread off of General Board to get higher up admin's attention .

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Gl1800admin closed the other thread about this. Said it was being handled.
Indeed I just read that myself . It reads to me like it's not a across the board wide span deal. I am closing this thread also . As its between admin ,mods , and the 2 parties involved . Carry on.

·
Administrator
1,809 Posts
Hello there,

I'm assuming vBulletin didn't see BlueThunder and Blue Thunder as different usernames due to the spacing.
If this is confusing, one of the users can change their username.
I can get this changed in the backend of the forum.

Ed

·
Administrator
4,581 Posts
Hello there,

I'm assuming vBulletin didn't see BlueThunder and Blue Thunder as different usernames due to the spacing.
If this is confusing, one of the users can change their username.
I can get this changed in the backend of the forum.

Ed
Appreciate you looking into this, but I think it's something we mods can handle. (That's why we make the big bucks) >:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.