GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question for you experienced campers.

I havea 9' x 9' screen room that attaches to my Tavelite Camper. I've only used it once. It zips to the front of my camper and then has three poles that you tie off on stakes driven into the ground. I also have to stake the bottom of my screen room all the way around...it doesn't have a floor.

I know some of your rooms on your campers have supports and don't have to anchor down. What would you do if you were parked on a paved parking area. Can't drive stakes into the pavement.

Some camp grounds don't want you setting a camper up off the spot they have set up for campers.

The screen room is a life saver to keep the sun off my bald spot.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
714 Posts
What I have seen done is to use some type of weight to tie the pole to. I've seen someone use a small type of bag, burlap perhaps, or something filled with sand to tie the pole to. All you have to do is bring the bag with you then find some sand or rocks at the camp-site.

I've considered using weights from my sons weight lifting set but am not sure I want the extra weight in my trailer. Also, the weights offer me an alternative for redistributing the weight in my trailer when I pull it; i.e. if the trailer is too light in the rear, I can move the weights toward the rear to correct the balance.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
David,
Be a little crafty with the positioning of the camper so that the front is toward the grassy area on the inside of the spot ( if there one that is ) I haven't seen too many camp grounds that were fully paved.
If the parking spot is somewhat level with the pavement, just place the front when set up close to the edge of the pavement, and put the room up out over the grass. If there is a big drop from pavement to grass try to position the camper where all of it will fit on the pavement, but the stakes for the tie point of the support poles would be in the ground at the edge of the pavement.

You can try to talk to the person that is in charge also ans see if you can just set up at the edge of the pavement on the grass, and park on the pavement. Explaining that the camper isn't the same as an RV in width and weight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts