GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the hex screws that go under the trim pieces on the outside edges of the shelter. There are 4 screws and I need the two middle ones. By looking at Fred's DVDs where he shows removing the shelter and numbering those screws #1 through #4 from bottom to top he states that the #2 and #3 screws are different from each other.

I called the Honda dealer in Allen, TX, Maxim Honda, and the parts guy was on the same web page schematic as I was and neither of us could figure out where all four screws were shown. I ended up ordering 4 of the same screws (2 for each side). I did this before I reviewed Fred's DVD, and now I'm thinking I ordered the wrong part for 2 of these.

Can anybody help me with part numbers for the middle two screws and verify if they are different or the same part number?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
The 3rd on up for switch panel is
SCREW, PAN (5X19)
90106-KCR-000

The one below is
SCREW, SPECIAL (5X12)
90106-MBY-000

It is the thread size that is the same. if you intend to do services yourself, order about 4 of all 6 on each side. Get some pocket push pins too.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
The 3rd on up for switch panel is
SCREW, PAN (5X19)
90106-KCR-000

The one below is
SCREW, SPECIAL (5X12)
90106-MBY-000

It is the thread size that is the same. if you intend to do services yourself, order about 4 of all 6 on each side. Get some pocket push pins too.
Just curious Greg, but why so many?

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
Becuase if you start doing thing like that on your Wing, most likely you will on a freinds Wing too. Those screw and push pins are often lost and missing. Have a supply of the rubber gromits for the side panels too.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ummm.. just a thought, and I understand that you have already ordered, but any shop that installs Baker AirWings will have dozens of these just laying around. Or any rider with the Baker Wings will have a set they will never use again.

Do you have a local chrome & lights pusher that you get your farkle-fix from? If he installs Bakers, he could help...

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Becuase if you start doing thing like that on your Wing, most likely you will on a freinds Wing too. Those screw and push pins are often lost and missing. Have a supply of the rubber gromits for the side panels too.
I've had my shelter off several times and haven't lost a screw yet (knock wood). I put them in a magnetic parts tray as I remove them so they can't get away. But I do keep a couple of extra grommets of each size and type because those get lost occasionally or just need to be replaced.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I've had my shelter off several times and haven't lost a screw yet (knock wood). I put them in a magnetic parts tray as I remove them so they can't get away. But I do keep a couple of extra grommets of each size and type because those get lost occasionally or just need to be replaced.
Jim--you ain't right man...You are supposed to drop things then waste about an hour or two looking on the floor for the little basturd.or where the hell did that fall down in there on the bike.:shrug:

BTW:
I work on bikes and yes I keep spares,but they are "replacements" for lost or went missing bolts by someone else previous work,not from my losing any..lol

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Jim--you ain't right man...You are supposed to drop things then waste about an hour or two looking on the floor for the little basturd.or where the hell did that fall down in there on the bike.:shrug:

BTW:
I work on bikes and yes I keep spares,but they are "replacements" for lost or went missing bolts by someone else previous work,not from my losing any..lol
Hey Rocky, I learned that lesson the hard way in the old days working on my GL1500s and the bikes before that. A magnetic tray can save you hours of grief! How do I know... :lol::lol:

And so far, I haven't dropped anything down into the abyss either. (Now I probably just jinxed myself!) :shock:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Hey Rocky, I learned that lesson the hard way in the old days working on my GL1500s and the bikes before that. A magnetic tray can save you hours of grief! How do I know... :lol::lol:

And so far, I haven't dropped anything down into the abyss either. (Now I probably just jinxed myself!) :shock:

Yeah you did,and no doubt,I'll be blamed for it too the next time you loose a bolt.:eek:4:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Anyone know of a place to get these fasteners/bolts besides Honda? Honda charges at least $3.00 per at my local shop. I've checked at specialty fasterner shops but they carry limited metric fasteners.

Most of the time I can get a half dozen fasteners for the same price as one fastener from HD.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Anyone know of a place to get these fasteners/bolts besides Honda? Honda charges at least $3.00 per at my local shop. I've checked at specialty fasterner shops but they carry limited metric fasteners.

Most of the time I can get a half dozen fasteners for the same price as one fastener from HD.
I buy a lot of replacement fasteners at the Fastenal store near me. What they don't have on the shelf, they can usually order, and for less than OEM fasteners cost. The only down side (if you can call it that) is that they usually come in minimum quantities of 10. But that's a good thing for me, because I'll have back-ups. I haven't checked, but I doubt if they can get bolts or screws with the shoulders on them like the fairing screws have. Unfortunately for us, those specialty fasteners will probably have to be purchased from Honda. Maybe someone will find an aftermarket source for them.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Ron & Greg!

I will try to change my order or at least add to my order and get the right screws. I probably will be too late to change it as I think they are closed on Monday and the parts are due on Wednesday, so I most likely am going to end up with a couple of extras. Oh well, what's another $6 for a couple of 25 cent screws when you own a Wing.

Doug

·
Registered
325 Posts

I always use those magnetic trays too, and I also find that stuffing shop rags down into tempting openings beneath small fasteners that I am about to remove has saved the day for me a few times as well!

Every time I decide it will take to long to find a rag to stuff in is anther time that afterwards I wish I had!

Brian.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts