GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself pretty computer savvy, but how do you guys get the WeatherUnderGround time/temp/city bar in your posts?

Do you use the Gizmo feature from the WU website and link it to your post?

I am new to to this Board, and givin time I could probably figure it out, but I have learned not to drive myself crazy and waste time when the answer is available by simply asking a question.

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
Sounds like you already have the idea. If you want it in your signature just place it in your profile sig area (or something like that)!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have removed my temp./weather bar to help improve the performance of this Board. If everyone did this, the forum would speed up considerably, especially for those with dial-up.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jeff:

Nowhere in my profile screen is there an "img" button. let alone in the signature section. I tried adding the time/temp URL in the Avatar Control Panel, but that put the time/temp bar in the details section of a my posts instead of in the message body where it belongs. The Avatar Control Panel is for images/pics in your details to the left of the message screen. Obviously I am missing something, either that or the profile setup has changed.

In Tom Picketts post (just following yours), he has a point. This stuff clutters up the Board, and slows down performance. In fact, lately I have been noticing that the board sometimes won't even come up at times, without several reload tries. (I am on cable broadband so my connection is not the problem). It takes bandwith and server time for the Boards equipment to go get all these URL's and display them. And I suggest that Tom's well meaning removal of his time/temp banner didn't help much from his standpoint, as he still has an Avatar link running with his photos and images in his details section. What's the difference? That takes up server time to locate the URL and load it.

I think some input, comments, and suggestions from the Webmaster and/ or Board Moderator with regard to this matter would be in order.

I will have to agree that all these photos, time/temp banners and other clap trap don't contribute anything of substance to any topic. Accordingly, I will just stay with the basics, and hope this Board doesn't slow to an intolerable crawl. I think it a great forum for info and exchange of ideas and experiences for us GL1800 riders.

At any rate, thanks very much for your reply and suggestions.

·
Registered
552 Posts
In reality, the time and temp bar has virtually nothing to do with the performance of HDL's servers. For example, I could embed 15 1mb pictures in this message that exist on my server and it would not impact their server. You will experience the load time of downloading those pics, the pics, would be requested by your browser to my server and sent to you from my server, not HDLs.

When you make a request to the HDL server to view a message thread (you clicked on the link), the server processes the request, reads and formats the data and sends it to your browser. The Time and temp bar information is sent to your browser as a link. When your browser receives the page information, the wunderground link is intercepted and processed to go to http://banners.wunderground.com... and get the information to display.

The same goes for avatars not located on their servers. If you right click on these items, you will notice that the path of the link references wunderground's server not HDL's. Yes the HDL server has to process and send you the link, but we're talking under 200 bytes of data to send.

Their issues with performance on HDL's websites has to do with horsepower and available bandwidth for the high volume of traffic from all of us. Images do take alot of bandwidth to serve from the server and if they are running the photo site on the same box as 1 or more of this and other HDL sites and with people uploading and downloading pics along with message board requests, it's most likely overloaded.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
However. your pictures are written into my temporary internet file only once, and that information is static and that same data is used over and over again.

These silly time and temperature bars are NOT static, and are re-written into the temporary internet file over and over and over again.... it is re-written every minute. So, it is slowing MY computer down.

If I want weather information, I'll go to www.weather.com. I don't visit here to find out what the temperature is at Somewhere, Oklahoma....

Some of us are out here with a dial up connection. The DSL Gods haven't figured out where I live yet. These weather banners aren't helping the problem. Hence, my signature line below....

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mrgl02 said:
However. your pictures are written into my temporary internet file only once, and that information is static and that same data is used over and over again.

These silly time and temperature bars are NOT static, and are re-written into the temporary internet file over and over and over again.... it is re-written every minute. So, it is slowing MY computer down.

If I want weather information, I'll go to www.weather.com. I don't visit here to find out what the temperature is at Somewhere, Oklahoma....

Some of us are out here with a dial up connection. The DSL Gods haven't figured out where I live yet. These weather banners aren't helping the problem. Hence, my signature line below....
BINGO!!!!!!!! Or in other words "I'll drink to that" as long as I am not going riding!

·
Registered
552 Posts
mrgl02 said:

You are correct, that your system has to go back out on the internet and make the request and rewrite this information and on a dialup line, this is overhead for you that causes a slow down to your viewing pleasure. I was on dialup until 2 years ago. I even tried the 'satellite' internet connection thru Dish Network, don't waste your time and money. More problems than it was worth and on average, my dialup outperformed it.

My point was to clear up the fact, that this had nothing to do with effecting the performance of HDL's servers.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
John,
I stand corrected,the
buttons are not there,but there is a box for your signature.
Should you choose to add the temp bar,or any other image,you need to add those commands manually.

K guys,I'm taking the hint,I'll remove mine!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've already removed mine, out of consideration.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have both dial up and dsl hookup. both perform very well for me...and the dial up is not slowed down by temp bars. it isnt the temp bars that are slowing this board..it is the server itself. I go to other sites that have over 300,000 subscribers online at the same time..and my dial up works great...as does my dsl. I have never seen more than 50 subscribers online on this board at one time....and this site at times runs very slow..and sometimes not at all...so when it doesnt run at all..is it the temp bars keeping you from logging on?...I dont think so. Just my humble opinion.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Robert Schilling said:
I have both dial up and dsl hookup. both perform very well for me...and the dial up is not slowed down by temp bars. it isnt the temp bars that are slowing this board..it is the server itself. I go to other sites that have over 300,000 subscribers online at the same time..and my dial up works great...as does my dsl. I have never seen more than 50 subscribers online on this board at one time....and this site at times runs very slow..and sometimes not at all...so when it doesnt run at all..is it the temp bars keeping you from logging on?...I dont think so. Just my humble opinion.
Hi Bob: My experience is much like yours, and I agree that the problem is probably server related, ie not enough capacity, slow processor, whatever. I do not have the problem with any other Boards or sites such as eBay and many others. However, this Board is free and very useful, and I want to express my thanks to the administrators for maintaining it for us. As it becomes more popular and busier, I suspect they will address the problem.

Thanks to all you other guys for your comments and input as well.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
Just a few days ago Hal was on the board looking for a good solution to the slow board problems and I figure he will have the problems solved soon. Some don't like the temp bars but I think they are kinda neat,interesting to see how nice and warm the weather can be for Red in florida while way cold for someone else in another part of the country. If Hal or Lamont suggests we remove the temp bars to speed up the board I would remove mine ASAP. To me this board and the people on it are often even more enjoyable than riding, is that actually posible?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I agree with cycledude...I like the temp bars...I find it interesting to see what is happening in the rest of the world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts