GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
Does anyone know if they make some sort or scuff protector to fit between the trunk lid and base as well as the side compartments?
I have noticed my bike has been chafing where the covers meet.
Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Lots of guys have done some pretty creative mods, but a simple, easy, and cheap fix is to use the fuzzy side of velcro on the trunk lid. Works fine

·
Registered
931 Posts
Velcro

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Hey Rick,
Welcome to the board!

I took all the screws out of the lower / inner trunk lid as that is the part that actually closes and seals and put 2 or 3 washers between the upper and lower lids as needed. I put them at all 4 corners and the middle front and middle back of the lid. Did not put washers on all the screws. That will raise the upper lid enough so that it will not rub the lower lid lip anymore.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
http://www.wingriderproducts.com/

Austin TX based family business. I have this on my 07. Works great.
+1 on Pilots suggestion....
One of the things that kept the problem coming back for me.....
was that the trunk lid not only supports it's own weight (and the weight of anything on a luggage rack).....
but it supports the weight and pressure of the passenger leaning against their backrest.
I noticed the flex and movement at the trunk edge gap as my wife got on and leaned back into the backrest.
I had felt pads (the heavy stuff you put under furniture) and they compressed with that pressure.
I thought about how she shifts her weight and braces herself against that backrest (like when we are riding through twisties).
That's why I like the adjustable trunk lid support plates from WingRider Products.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I used windshield washer tubing inside the trunk seal to stiffen it up and then use ski saver tape on the contact areas around the trunk lid on the inside. Ski saver tape is what we use to cover our ski tops to keep them from getting banged up when we crossed our skis. It is pretty tough stuff you should be able to buy by the foot at your local ski shop and it does not seem to yellow.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Steve Saunders Web Page, He shows how to install the 7/32 rubber tubing inside the weather striping under the trunk lid. It is a beautiful fix and you can't even tell it is there! Simple to install and works like a million bucks

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did the tubing tango as one of my first attempts at solving this problem about 6 years ago. It didn't do anything to stop the rubbing on my bike.
I installed the tubing fix to add support in the upward direction, and then applied the velcro to prevent the flexing laterally. It looks good so far, but I haven't put on 1000 miles yet, so I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I used 1/4" clear vinyl tubing inside the seal on my old wing. Loaded the heck out of the luggage rack and never had an issue. The tubing was one of the first things I did to the new wing. Some fuzzy velcro spots on the inside of the lid where it contacts the nibs on the side and behind the latch keep it centered.:thumbup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Got the fuzzy side of velcro pads 1/2" diameter and put em on the rub points on the lower side of trunk seems to keep the chafing down.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Installed wingrider supports today. Pretty simple fix - hope it works......

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
sweet:congrats:

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is what I use also. More expensive than velcro but the problem goes away completely. Helps support spoiler and trunk rack also. Worth every penny.
Kurt:thumbup:
Ditto.

Had for about a year. Just wish I had done it before the wear spots
started. Works great.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I also went with the tubing. Steve Saunders did a very good job of explaining how to do it, and so far it's worked perfect for me after over four years. Inexpensive yet effective!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts