GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at RG V I bought an SD Card for my camera but it won't show the pics on my computer. It will show the pics at walmarts picture machines, just not on my computer. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Are you drilling down into the sub-directory of where your pictures will be?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My first question would be, "what type of computer do you have?" Windows or Mac.

My second question would be, "What program are you using to view the pictures?"

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
My first question would be, "what type of computer do you have?" Windows or Mac.

and what format are the pictures in? View details of one of the files?

·
Banned
3,197 Posts

And are you sure the card reader is being recognized by the computer?

If in Windows (bottom right hand corner) it should show "recognizing new hardware" when you plug the card reader into the USB port.

In Mac the SD card should appear on your desktop (probably under the name "untitled drive" or something similar) if the computer recognizes the card reader.

Just have a feeling it has nothing to do with the SD card but with the card reader.

If the SD card plugs directly into the computer then you're dealing with a different issue.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
I had a similar issue with a built in sd slot. It was easily fixed with a $2 usb card reader purchase.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The reason is probably that you have a SDHC card and the reader does not support the HC type cards.
HC=high capacity.

You should try a SDHC card reader to confirm this.
I've seen some on sale for as little as $2

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Ummm...

Let's start with the basics...

It is possible he's not seeing the pics because his computer is either not using the right program or set to not autodetect them.

We can buy $2 hardware after we eliminate that.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The reason is probably that you have a SDHC card and the reader does not support the HC type cards.
HC=high capacity.

You should try a SDHC card reader to confirm this.
I've seen some on sale for as little as $2
:agree:

Generally speaking most older computers will read non high capacity cards. a 16Gb card would be an example of an HC card. If the computer recognized that there is a card there and you are able to view folders then your computer recognizes the card. Find the DCIM folder and the pictures will be there.

On a side note, I have had issues with some Samsung cameras requiring proprietary software to read their files.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My computer will recognize my sd card in the reader slot but tells me the card needs formatting. I can leave it in the camera and the computer recognizes it and works fine. All other sd cards I have work fine in the reader.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Computer is a Compaq desktop, Windows XP, card reader is a Lexar card reader with several slots for different types of media devices. To view pictures, I go to My computer and the drive that they are on. As posted above I think the computer is not recognizing the reader, although I've had no problems before. It is a new SDHC card so you guys are probably right, I may need a new reader. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Computer is a Compaq desktop, Windows XP, card reader is a Lexar card reader with several slots for different types of media devices. To view pictures, I go to My computer and the drive that they are on. As posted above I think the computer is not recognizing the reader, although I've had no problems before. It is a new SDHC card so you guys are probably right, I may need a new reader. Thanks for all the replies.
Ok, next question, what type of camera?

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fuji S7000, This is the 1st time I've had problems seeing the pics on the computer. When I bought the card, I had run out of memory on the other card so I just bought the new one at the closest place I found one, not realizing it was a high capacity card.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts