GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to buy a new camera to carry around on motorcycle trips, one that i am interested in will use either SD or SDHC card

what is the difference between SD and SDHC cards ?

sorry if it seems like a very stupid question to someone that understands these things but i don't know what the advantage is

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
i am looking to buy a new camera to carry around on motorcycle trips, one that i am interested in will use either SD or SDHC card

what is the difference between SD and SDHC cards ?

sorry if it seems like a very stupid question to someone that understands these things but i don't know what the advantage is
SDHC has a significantly larger capacity than SD. SD maxed out at 2GB. SDHC goes to 16GB and beyond. Check here for more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob
thanks for the link , just placed an order for 10 megapixel Nikon and a 4 gig SDHC card, not sure how many pictures it will hold but suspect over 1,000

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Dude,

A 10 Megapixel Nikon sounds like maybe a P80? My wife got me one for Xmas.. with a 4 gig card and highest resolution / fine I can get right about 784 shots on it. More if I cut the quality back a little. I sell large format printers, and 10 megapixel is good for a 4 x 5 print no problem. Oh, that's 4 x 5 feet, not inches.

If I cut the FIne setting back to normal, it goes to 1548. Normal & 5 meg gives me 3018. Probably enough, I think. 5 meg & normal will give you more than enough quality for snapshots.

Dave
GWBBA #9

www.rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Rob
thanks for the link , just placed an order for 10 megapixel Nikon and a 4 gig SDHC card, not sure how many pictures it will hold but suspect over 1,000
If it is the D80, I use a 4G with mine and I can normally squeeze about 700 or so pics. The indicator will tell you only 500 or so at first with no pictures taken but that's a conservative number and you'll find that sometimes when you snap a pic the number of pics remaining remains unchanged. Figure about 4M per picture at high JPEG setting.

The 4G will only hold about half that in RAW format.

I have switched over to 8G SDHC cards and I can get around 1400 pics on one of those. I figure 8 of those should hold me over for a 3 week trip. (I take lots of pics).

If your computer doesn't have the firmware to read SDHC cards, you'll want to pickup a little USB adaptor for the SDHC card. I find this useful as all PCs seem to have USB plugs while not all have an SD or SDHC reader. The reader just gives you a lot of flexibility on using the card.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
There is one important piece of information to know about SD. There are a number of 4GB cards out there are are standard SD. They were created so that non SDHC devices could have more capacity. They do not conform to Panasonic's SD standard, and will not work in devices that support SDHC.

So if you are looking at a 4GB or higher card, make sure it is an SDHC card.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is the camera i ordered but it was $10 less yesterday, Nikon coolpix L20
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210735938
my eyes ain't so good so the 3 inch LCD screen was one of the things that got me interested, also liked the small size and AA batteries

the 4 gig SDHC card is Kingston and the price was $10, seems like memory cards are getting cheaper everyday

have no idea if the SD card reader i have now will work with SDHC, would anything bad happen if i tried to plug in a SDHC card in a reader that might have been made for SD only ?

got an email this morning saying everything was shipped so i guess it should show up sometime next week

hopefully i will b able to figure out how to use it

THANKS everyone for your help !

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
here is the camera i ordered but it was $10 less yesterday, Nikon coolpix L20
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210735938
my eyes ain't so good so the 3 inch LCD screen was one of the things that got me interested, also liked the small size and AA batteries

the 4 gig SDHC card is Kingston and the price was $10, seems like memory cards are getting cheaper everyday

have no idea if the SD card reader i have now will work with SDHC, would anything bad happen if i tried to plug in a SDHC card in a reader that might have been made for SD only ?

got an email this morning saying everything was shipped so i guess it should show up sometime next week

hopefully i will b able to figure out how to use it

THANKS everyone for your help !
Plugging in a SDHC card into a SD drive that doesn't have the SDHC firmware only results in ..... nothing. You can't read the card. It won't show up or any data on it. That's it. Nothing damaged.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
about 95% of card readers will not read a sdhc card

ebay sells them for under $5 shipped, that plug into a 2.0 usb hole

my new laptop has a sdhc reader

my previous one of course just had a normal one

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
about 95% of card readers will not read a sdhc card

ebay sells them for under $5 shipped, that plug into a 2.0 usb hole

my new laptop has a sdhc reader

my previous one of course just had a normal one
That may be true for Ebay products since most of the stuff there is older outdated products, but on the shelves at most retail stores and online retailers nowadays you would be hard pressed to find anything that is not SDHC compatible. SDHC has been around for a few years now, and most manufacturers have caught up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts