GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read posts here that highly recommend Sea Foam when people are having carburetor problems. My 2007 Wing runs great. I try to ride it every couple of weeks in winter to use up the gas. Should I had Sea Foam and use it as a fuel stablizer over winter? The reason I ask is that I rode a Kawasaki Voyager that had carbuetor problems (rough idle) but my mechanic who I trusted, warned me not to add any fuel cleaners to the gas because they were too harsh on the rubber fittings in motorcycle carburetors. Of course, my Wing does not have a carburetor, but I wonder if Sea Foam is really safe to use, especially considering my bike runs fine. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
My self I use Tectron in the bike at least twice a year. 3 oz in two tank fulls. I also try and use either Chevron or Texico gas when filling up as it suppose to have tectron in it. I have also put it in my Kawasaki 750 Vulcan carbs with no problem. I would think that if a person used gas with corn gas in it would have problems with the rubber parts before Sea foam or any other fuel additive would.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I've used sea foam in my bikes, boats, snow blower and lawn mower for several years without any trouble. It is made to be a cleaner/stabilizer. IMHO, use it. The price has gone up 50% in the past months. It used to be about $6 a can and now its over $9. I sure am glad I bought 4 cans last September.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I have been using Sea Foam in my 02 for 4 years, and have had no problems what so ever... I use it in almost every thing that uses gas now, and have put it the tank of my Coleman stove, which had been setting for 5 years with fuel in it, and it cleaned out the gue in the generator tube in short order. I use it 3 to 4 times a year in the Trike.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's probably the most recommended additive over on the Kawasaki Vulcan (www.vroc.org) site for both carbed and injected bikes. I've owned 2 Vulcans and used it without any problems. It's also in my wing right now...:thumbup:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use Sta-bil all the time in my old cars that sit longer and in the lawn tractor. I use it year round.

:doorag:
I had problems with Sta Bil. After sitting with Stabil fuel for 8 months, my Aerians snow blower needed the carburetor cleaned.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I have a 03 Voyager, Run Sea Foam in the summer every few tanks, and use it as a stabilizer every winter, bike runs like a top. Never any problems.

Seafoam has been around before fuel injection was common..

·
DSI Keeper
9,106 Posts
I had problems with Sta Bil. After sitting with Stabil fuel for 8 months, my Aerians snow blower needed the carburetor cleaned.

I had a set of new plugs fouled out because of Sta-Bil. You have to be real careful of the mix ratio. I wasn't. Sea Foam for me now.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
the guys on the valkyrie board eat sea foam for breakfast

thats how great they claim it is

we tried it and nothing

what worked for use was the marvelous mystery oil in the red container

some in each tankful made the valkyrie smooth right out

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
sea foaming

Sea foam, squared a way my rough running generator which had
been setting unstarted for quiet a while.
I bought it used.

:)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 03 Voyager, Run Sea Foam in the summer every few tanks, and use it as a stabilizer every winter, bike runs like a top. Never any problems.

Seafoam has been around before fuel injection was common..
How do you like your Voyager? Mine was a 1993. It was a great bike. Although it was only 1200ccs, it ran at lower RPMs at 70 MPH in 5th gear than my 1800 cc Goldwing does.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have read posts here that highly recommend Sea Foam when people are having carburetor problems. My 2007 Wing runs great. I try to ride it every couple of weeks in winter to use up the gas. Should I had Sea Foam and use it as a fuel stablizer over winter? The reason I ask is that I rode a Kawasaki Voyager that had carbuetor problems (rough idle) but my mechanic who I trusted, warned me not to add any fuel cleaners to the gas because they were too harsh on the rubber fittings in motorcycle carburetors. Of course, my Wing does not have a carburetor, but I wonder if Sea Foam is really safe to use, especially considering my bike runs fine. Thanks.
Seafoam and Techron are different products that do different things.
I use both of them. Seafoam is a good stabilizer and cleaner. I'll always keep some in my tool box for gas powered engines that I don't use often.
I use Techron often (as a gas additive) because I get cheap gas at different places. Techron helps keep every thing clean, including the valves.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It's probably the most recommended additive over on the Kawasaki Vulcan (www.vroc.org) site for both carbed and injected bikes. I've owned 2 Vulcans and used it without any problems. It's also in my wing right now...:thumbup:
That's where I learned about it.

·
Young Buck
2,549 Posts
Where SeaFoam comes in really handy is for 2 cycle engines. It is 2 cycle safe.

On the Wing, I put in the proper dosage of fuel injector cleaner at oil change time. When I say proper dosage, that's not the entire bottle as you would in a car. Mine never sits long enough to need StaBil.

The fuel injector cleaner I use is 4 ounces for the Wing. Some might be more, some might be less.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I love the Voyager 50mpg on trips, 5 minutes to change air/oil filters. No valves to adjust. Everything so easy to get at. No complaints at all. Great value for the buck, They go very cheap.

Just like the wing, buy a air cushion seat pad and you're set!

How do you like your Voyager? Mine was a 1993. It was a great bike. Although it was only 1200ccs, it ran at lower RPMs at 70 MPH in 5th gear than my 1800 cc Goldwing does.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts