GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning for my upcoming ride to Alaska, I happened to notice that I could take Route 99, the Sea To Sky Highway, instead of the more eastward Trans-Canada Highway between Vancover and Cashe Creek. This reroute is 75 miles further but will allow me to visit Whistler (future site of the 2010 Winter Olympics).

For anyone familar with the Sea to Sky Highway, I would like to know what you think of the road and scenery on this route. Is it worth adding 75 miles to my trip to take this road?

Also if I take the Sea to Sky Highway, it will bring me out about 6 miles north of Cashe Creek. Is Cashe Creek worth backtracking to see.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i looked at this road a few times

if i ever do go to alaska, i would take this going north, and the other route going south

i wouldnt want to take the same route both ways

bc has a nice web site with info about construction, etc

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also posted this on the Canada board. Got a very positive response so I'm going to modify my northbound route to include the Sea and Sky Highway!

I'm returnng back into the lower 48 via Montana so not a problem on returning on the outgoing route. I always try to minimize that if possible.

·
Registered
317 Posts
IMHO Highway 99 is a must ride.
You will need to get off in Whistler and walk the village, very neat to sit at the outdoor cafes and people watch. Pemberton is neat also but in a small town way. Once out of Pemberton you run through a native Indian reserve so watch for animals and people on the road. Then you start the climb to the first pass and it is a good one. Watch for soft shoulders and the RV fools who didn't read the warnings of tight turns and switch backs. They have a habit of kicking up gravel on the road. There are a few one lane bridges but usually traffic is light. Some excellent photo opportunities and if you watch the traffic those one lane bridges usually cross some raging(no kidding) streams.
Lots of switch backs just before Lilloet, watch that kicked up gravel on the side of the road.
After Lilloet the road runs along the valley with lots of sweepers.
Cache Creek is not worth the visit but you are in the hottet part of Canada and it can bake you real quick so have lots of water.
At the south end of Williams lake there is a Pub with a great deck and decent food that looks over the valley.
Have fun.
A couple of years ago I got to ride sweep for a group of Europeans on a seven day MC tour. Interesting to see your country thru others eyes. On that part of the trip they all had the most incredulous looks and that was after taking them trough the rockies.
On you way back through to Montana try to take in the Jasper/Banff run then onto Highway 22 through the Kananaskis.
Enjoy my backyard.
Dennis

·
Registered
872 Posts
There continues to be a lot of construction on the Sea-To-Sky Highway between West Vancouver and Whistler, but it should not cause you any problems.
Depending on the time of the week that you travel it, there could be plenty of traffic. Mostly the yuppies in their Beemers heading up to Whistler for the weekend.
The highway between Pemberton and Lillooet is an incredibly scenic trip, BUT, it is very rough and the worst portion of it is scheduled for repaving this summer. There will be no straightening of the corners or bridge replacements, thankfully. I rode this highway a couple of times last year and it really bust up my front suspension, but then I wasn't following the rules! The next trip was a lot slower.
If you have a passenger on the back, have her do the sight-seeing, and you keep your eyes on the road. You'll understand when you get there.

Don't concern yourself about the one-lane bridges with the wooden decks. They are very short and add character to the trip. Just use some caution if they are wet.
Yeah, and don't waste your time with a sidetrip to Cache Creek.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
http://www.destinationhighways.com/dh/1SouthCoast-SunshineCoast/3sum.htm

From DestinationAt a Glance

Where speed tax collectors fear to tread? While we can’t guarantee anything, we’ve never seen any on this road. It’s easy to see why they’re afraid of debasing this DH with their presence. The power of this challenging road is obvious from the moment you embark upon the long, corkscrew climb out of the Pemberton Valley. As you venture into the spectacular mountains of the Cayoosh Range, the barrage of curves is intense. They don’t let up when you pass along the dramatic shoreline of Duffey Lake, or even in the final section where you’ll be awestruck by the spectacular, winding canyon descent to the town of Lillooet. True, engineering can be quirky and pavement quality can vary markedly from one season to the next. However, it’s simply impossible to resist the combination of zero development, sensational scenery and endless, diverse twisties. Perhaps the STCs are up here, after all. We just don’t recognize them when they’re off duty, decked out in full leathers, aboard ZX12s.

I personally did not find the roadway to be rough. However there are a few short sections where it is definitely best to adhere to the posted signage, and be wary of the gravel in many of the sharp corners
BTW: I would not bother wasting my time to attend the hamlet of Cache Creek.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
We rode it in south bound '05. You can read it about it here. I think we saw a couple of other cars along 99.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for the offered advice. I am really looking forward to this part of my trip!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Planning for my upcoming ride to Alaska, I happened to notice that I could take Route 99, the Sea To Sky Highway, instead of the more eastward Trans-Canada Highway between Vancover and Cashe Creek. This reroute is 75 miles further but will allow me to visit Whistler (future site of the 2010 Winter Olympics).

For anyone familar with the Sea to Sky Highway, I would like to know what you think of the road and scenery on this route. Is it worth adding 75 miles to my trip to take this road?

Also if I take the Sea to Sky Highway, it will bring me out about 6 miles north of Cashe Creek. Is Cashe Creek worth backtracking to see.
I live in the Vancouver area and not only have I ridden the Sea to Sky many, many times, but I also did a 14 day ride from Vancouver to Fairbanks and Anchorage last year.

The Sea to Sky used to be a great bike road but the recent highway upgrades have straightened out many of the curves to make it safer, but it is still a good ride with good scenery. An even more compelling reason to take that route, if you have the time, is the Duffy Lake stretch between Pemberton (east of Whistler) and Lilloote (south-west of Cache Creek). That stretch is one of the favorites around here, you just have to watch for a few stretches of rougher asphalt along the way.

Cache Creek is not worth going back to catch. Again, if you have the time, the longer route from Lillooet to Cache Creek, south through Lytton, is worth considering. This route would give you a taste of the Fraser Canyon as you come south to Lytton and then the first section north toward Cache Creek.

Which route are you taking north from Prince George?

You have two options, north-east to Dawson Creek and Fort St John or west and then north along Hwy 37; the Cassiar Hwy. I would strongly suggest taking the Cassiar one one leg of your trip and the Alaskan Hwy to Dawson Creeek on the other. I saw more wildlife along the Cassiar Hwy than combines on the remainder of my trip.

From Vancouver, going up on the Cassiar and then coming back on the Alcan through Dawson Creek is just shy of 6,000 miles of great riding.

Enjoy! :thumbup:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... if you have the time, is the Duffy Lake stretch between Pemberton (east of Whistler) and Lilloote (south-west of Cache Creek). ...

if you have the time, the longer route from Lillooet to Cache Creek, south through Lytton, is worth considering. ...

Which route are you taking north from Prince George? ...

Enjoy! :thumbup:
Yes, I will be doing the Duffy Lake stretch. Will probably pass on Lillooet to Lytonn. My trip is approaching 16,000 miles and I need to resist adding any more additional mileage unless I can find some other "fluff" to remove from the plan.

I will be heading up the Yellowhead and Cassiar from Prince George. I'll do the Alaskan Highway on the return.

Thanks for the additional information. Your enthusiasm is contagious!! Can't wait!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
<snip>I will be heading up the Yellowhead and Cassiar from Prince George. I'll do the Alaskan Highway on the return.

Thanks for the additional information. Your enthusiasm is contagious!! Can't wait!!! :thumbup:
That is the same route I took and it was great :thumbup:.

The trip east on Hwy 37A to Stewart and Hyder was a nice side trip with good scenery. Be careful in planning gas and lodgings on the Cassiar. There are a couple of places to stay in Steward, but the choices are limited so consider booking ahead it your staying there and your schedule allows. A ways north of the Hwy 37 & 37A junction their is a Helli-ski lodge with rooms, but it was really pricy when I stopped there last year to check it out. After that I did not see any lodging until Williams Lake so plan for a long day's ride it you are not camping out along the way. There are enough gas stations but you don't want to miss one as they are aways apart with little in between.

If you need detailed info about the last year's road conditions, just let me know. The roads were much better than stories I had heard would lead you to beleive and they are working to eliminate the last couple of gravel stretches. As long as the weather is dry, the roads should be good with only a couple of gravel stretches left and the longest one north of Cassiar is what I refer to as 60 MPH gravel - well, at least when it's dry.

I hope you have included side legs to Skagway and Valdez as well. They are both well worth the miles. From Skagway you can take the ferry over to Haines and make that segment a good loop, joining up with the Alaskan Hwy again at Haines Jtc. (good motel there).

When you are on the Alcan, between Watson lake and Fort Nelson, try to minimize the need to purchase fuel at eather Muncho Lake or Toad River. They were a=easily the most expensive fuel stops on my Alaskan roadtrip.

You are sure to have a great time!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
... There are a couple of places to stay in Steward ... There are enough gas stations but you don't want to miss one as they are aways apart with little in between.

... The roads were much better than stories I had heard would lead you to beleive and they are working to eliminate the last couple of gravel stretches. As long as the weather is dry, the roads should be good with only a couple of gravel stretches left and the longest one north of Cassiar is what I refer to as 60 MPH gravel - well, at least when it's dry.

I hope you have included side legs to Skagway and Valdez as well. They are both well worth the miles. From Skagway you can take the ferry over to Haines and make that segment a good loop ...

When you are on the Alcan, between Watson lake and Fort Nelson, try to minimize the need to purchase fuel at eather Muncho Lake or Toad River. They were a=easily the most expensive fuel stops on my Alaskan roadtrip.

You are sure to have a great time!
Thanks for the additional information and keeping this thread alive. The more posts, the more I learn.

Yes, I'm planning on going to Hyder. My Streets and Trips program shows no lodging in the area. But fortunately it is seldom right. :shrug: I am plan on carrying minimal camping gear for those times that motels are nonexistent or full.

Yes. I've learned not to put too much stock in the past road experiences of others. Good or bad! Guess one common thread is that the gravel and the stuff that they put on it to hold the dust down are a slippery mess after a good rain. Hopefully, I will not expeience any rain during my 16,000 mile three month trip! :joke:

Definitely plan on the ferry between Skagway & Haines. It saves about 350 miles of backtracking. Jim Dittlinger brough my attention to that one.

Thanks for pointing out the excessively high fuel cost area but I've made up my mind that I am not going to let the price of fuel drive me crazy. This is a trip of a lifetime. While I don't have money to burn, if I dwell too much on the cost verses the fact that this is a priceless adventure, I won't leave home.

Thanks again for your additional reply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts