Banned
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch your speed in BC
Your bike WILL be impounded if you are over 40K/m
over the limit AND you are walking form there

These bozos deserve it!!!

Heard on CBC radio news earlier today:
Eight motorcycles impounded early today by the RCMP for excessive speeding on the Sea to Sky Hwy.
Apparently "Air One" chopper tracked these numbskulls at speeds up to 200 kph.
Bang goes their long weekend for sure.

http://www.theprovince.com/opinion/blogs/Police+video+Motorbikes+race/5184290/story.html

·
Registered
546 Posts
Guess that I was luckier than I thought when I was on that road in June of 2008. It was raining and foggy so I didn't see much and my speed was of necessity below the posted limits!

I do hope to get back on that roiad some day as I think that I missed a bunch. Especially the "sea" part.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
The ride is a beautiful one - all the way up to Whistler! :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess that I was luckier than I thought when I was on that road in June of 2008. It was raining and foggy so I didn't see much and my speed was of necessity below the posted limits!

I do hope to get back on that road some day as I think that I missed a bunch. Especially the "sea" part.

Here is a pic off what you missed

BTW 80K/m speed limit on a road that could easily do 100 k/m???

clearly a cash cow!!!

Attachments

·
Banned
939 Posts
Well that proves it I guess silver is faster than red.

First group two riders:

I wonder when the chopper pilot said he had them for 40km over if he was using a stop watch and mile markers or was he deploying the radar laser gun from above?

That pass on the bridge I think was the double yellow very difficult to get perspective on that but it was a more than a few second count before oncoming traffic. I wonder what their visibility was there and if the double yellow was just because it was a bridge? Does anyone know that stretch of road in particular?

200Kph is just a whisper over 120Mph. Light traffic no right hand lane passing and no tailgating but definitely pushing it with the last two cages before the stop.

Not saying right or wrong just saying with the first two. Congratulations silver makes it to the "check point busted" first.

Second group the three riders:

Again the chopper piolit says “I got three bikes doing a buck eighty” I wonder if that is by laser radar or stop watch? Then latter the pilot says he was doing at least 180. So I am thinking stopwatch and mile markers?
Again in this group I did not see any aggressive traffic weaving.

Got to love the Mounties standing in the road way though. “this way please” go Mounties they have no fear.

Third group of two:

Definite no/no’s here lane splitting and traffic aggression right hand lane passing without due hesitation for left slow traffic to move right.

Anyway not saying right or wrong but other than the last group I am not seeing anything “reckless”.

No stand up wheelies either and such light traffic as well. :shrug:

A guy has to wonder if there is not potential to make a droid aircraft carrier deck for the trailer. The personal scout plane controlled by the right throttle thumb with real time heads up video on the Wing screen. Hum.

I could identify every cool lunch stop in the county with such a mod.

Don’t think it would comein handy for anything else though.

For the record I do not endorse a speed that is “relatively” substantially higher than the flow of traffic even in light traffic for your own safety.

But I do know I am getting me a Canadian Mounted Patrol sticker.

Any BC folks know if this war radar from above or the stopwatch?

I am thinking the stopwatch but nor sure?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
good to see the idiots busted ... take their bikes ... their license ..... give them some time in jail ...... maybe some community work ... say with victims that idiot drivers like this that caused injuries to others, or the morgue handling idiot dead bikers like themselves or people that drivers like them killed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
good info

If plans do not fall through the cracks somewhere, will be going through Canada out of NY going to Alaska in May. Course I do not speed. OH and I have no idea If I will be near this road but will be watching my speed the entire trip.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I think it's an overreaction by the cops. But then, they're used to a heavy-handed government up there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I can't believe you would condone 120mph in a 50mph speed zone. Take their license and take their bikes----FOREVER. And for those of you that think the police are being heavy-handed, I want to see what you say when one of these idiots rear-ends you and your wife/SO. !!! These kind of riders give us all a bad name.

·
Registered
354 Posts
worth making special effort?

Whats the location? May make this a destination rd while up there. But sounds like most up there have great views and worth the ride. Rich 49, your right

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whats the location? May make this a destination rd while up there. But sounds like most up there have great views and worth the ride. Rich 49, your right

Runs from Vancouver BC to Whistler BC Just rebuilt for the Olympics and is now a fabulous ride Great view points and interesting places to stop
I run it at least once a month
Not on the route to Alaska!!!
For a longer ride you can do the whole loop... Duffy lake road and around /
here are a couple of pics off that

Attachments

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I think it's an overreaction by the cops. But then, they're used to a heavy-handed government up there.
heavy-handed...I agree particularly with impounding a vehicle for just 25mph over the limit. Sure seems extreme.

I think impounding is OK for those guys that were 120mph+.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
heavy-handed...I agree particularly with impounding a vehicle for just 25mph over the limit. Sure seems extreme.

I think impounding is OK for those guys that were 120mph+.

the same law included tough drinking and driving

learner license any alcohol 24 hr suspension

Suspicion of impairment by cop (just) 24 hour suspension

over .05 3 day suspension and lots more grief
(vehicle impound for period; have to install immobilizer and others I can't recall)

Over .08 you are walking for a long time and gonna be broke..
loss off car; fines; insurance hike etc etc

restaurant and bars up here are hurting big time!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts