GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all motorheads/geeks !!! ..................................

My Wing is too new for this but.................what say you guys regarding the use of Seafoam ??

Thanks !!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
When I got my Wing, it had been sitting for nearly three years.
Wouldn't idle. Ran rough.
A couple of cans of seafoam later, it was running fine and still is.
Didn't need to adjust anything.
Yup, Seafoam works.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I was introduced to Seafoam quite a few years ago for it's ability to preserve fuel systems in anything that rolled. I've used it as such only a time or two because, we don't have seasons and everything we've owned is never stored, just used year round. I did buy a used 1500 one time that had been sitting for quite a while. I ran a can through it and, I don't know if the improved running was due to the Seafoam or, just getting it running and then, continued use.
Scott

·
Registered
81 Posts
Too new for Seafoam? Never heard of that; Seafoam is great stuff. I use it as a stabilizer and it cleans things out when I run the winter storage fuel out in the spring.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Remember you can never use enough...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've used it in boats and bikes.
Good stuff.

Thing is, it's not going to hurt anything, so if it doesn't fix the problem then you're only out the cost of a can of seafoam.
Yeah...What Dan45t says about boats & bikes. However, a full-can of SeaFoam is quite a bit in a 6.6 gal GL tank...and even more in a 5.5 !

·
Registered
125 Posts
The problem I have with aftermarket fuel additives (other than a stabilizer for storage) is my fuel blender (Top Tier) is already including additives (Techron): oxidation inhibitors, corrosion inhibitors, silver corrosion inhibitors, metal deactivators, demulsifiers, antiknock compounds, and deposit control additives. Specifically the Deposit Control Additives are tested for non-harm. Second, my fuel blender has no idea what aftermarket additive is being used and no idea what its contents are. It is possible one additive is cancelling the other so you end up with no additive. Third the aftermarket fuel additive is not ASTM tested for inclusion with the fuel (absence of negative attributes) so can affect the gasoline properties.

Anecdotally, I have a 1978 GL1000 with 400,000 km that has never had an additive other than fuel stabilizer and have no deposit issues. My regimen has been to follow the recommended service interval and use Top Tier fuel.

G.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Remember you can never use enough...
That's what the company Seafoam says. But, I don't buy that. I always try to stick to their recommended amounts to use in anything I put the stuff into. Lawnmowers.....anything.
Thanks !!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem I have with aftermarket fuel additives (other than a stabilizer for storage) is my fuel blender (Top Tier) is already including additives (Techron): oxidation inhibitors, corrosion inhibitors, silver corrosion inhibitors, metal deactivators, demulsifiers, antiknock compounds, and deposit control additives. Specifically the Deposit Control Additives are tested for non-harm. Second, my fuel blender has no idea what aftermarket additive is being used and no idea what its contents are. It is possible one additive is cancelling the other so you end up with no additive. Third the aftermarket fuel additive is not ASTM tested for inclusion with the fuel (absence of negative attributes) so can affect the gasoline properties.

Anecdotally, I have a 1978 GL1000 with 400,000 km that has never had an additive other than fuel stabilizer and have no deposit issues. My regimen has been to follow the recommended service interval and use Top Tier fuel.

G.
........................ # 2 mechanic here.............a fuel blender ?? Have never even heard that term in my life. Anyway, 400 kms/250K or so ?? Nice !!!

Thanks !!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Keep in mind every additive you add to your fuel dilutes your fuel a small amount. Your engine is not designed to run on additives. Additives are there to do a job, that may be to either clean a fuel system, or to stabilize the fuel in your tank for storage. In my opinion Seafoam does work well as a cleaner as I have used it here at my shop from time to time but I would not use it as a frequent additive.

·
Registered
564 Posts
the recommended dilution will take care of small amounts of water, but for carbs that are plugged, it takes a bit stronger amount.

I bought a '94SE that had been sitting for 2 years in Glendale, Arizona....
it would start and run when I got it, but it ran very ragged...

I was using the bike as daily transportation to/from work over a distance of 18 miles one way.

I used 1/2 can of Sea Foam per fill-up and after about 3 months, the carbs cleaned up and the bike ran smoothly. Ran that bike for a few years until Penske bought it after they totalled it ...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Yeah...What Dan45t says about boats & bikes. However, a full-can of SeaFoam is quite a bit in a 6.6 gal GL tank...and even more in a 5.5 !
Super,
I didn't run a whole can through one tank on my 1500. I divided it between three fillups, if I recall. I knew that, based on the instructions on the can, one can in a GL tank would be too much. So, I think I put a third of a can per tankful.
Scott

·
Registered
564 Posts
a full can will just be wasteful, not "too much" as in detrimental to the engine.

once you go past the "most effective" ratio of Sea Foam to Gas, it looses it cleaning ability.
I'm not a chemist, so this is just from reading the manufacturers info.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Ive been using Seafoam for years on all my equipment and my trike. Around here the salt hits the street the trikes put away until the streets are clean again. Sometimes it has been over 5 months being stored. Never any issues with using Seafoam. Ive rebuilt carbs on neighbors mowers, weed wackers, and blowers that dont use anything and E10 is a dirty gas. If you want to use Seafoam as a cleaner Seafoam recommends 2 ozs per gallon. It also works well in the oil . I bought an 86 wing some years ago with 32,000 miles that it took 29 years to acquire. The engine had almost a sludge like substance I found when replacing the water pump. Put the recommended amount in the engine oil drove it awhile and changed the oil twice after that and had nice clean engine oil.Sometimes I wonder when seeing the horror of not using Honda oil pictures on the 1800s if thats the same scenario that happens to them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
........................ # 2 mechanic here.............a fuel blender ?? Have never even heard that term in my life.
I am using the term "fuel blender" to indicate the blending process at the refinery but also to broadly define whoever is finishing the gasoline. I didn't want to say refiner since the fuel might be further blended after refinery ie terminal or splash blended at the station. In fact, by adding anything to the fuel, you are now the blender.

G.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts