GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
I am using the term "fuel blender" to indicate the blending process at the refinery but also to broadly define whoever is finishing the gasoline. I didn't want to say refiner since the fuel might be further blended after refinery ie terminal or splash blended at the station. In fact, by adding anything to the fuel, you are now the blender.

G.
a friend of mine used to haul gasoline from the refinery to the stations.
he told me that each brand of gasoline had a specific "treatment package" that was to be dropped into the tanker before he hooked up the hose to fill the tanks. The tankers have several tanks separated so he can haul 650 gallons, or... IIRC, his tanker had 4 partitions of different sizes.

He told me, that the refinery puts out one grade of gas only, and that the ethanol that he has to "blend in" to a specific tank is what causes that tank to contain "87" or '91' or whatever. And that gas the refinery has does NOT have any additives at all.... the tank truck driver is responsible for that job..... He was a trainer for many years, and said the law requires the new tanker drivers to have six months of 'OJT' before they are released to drive on their own...

IIRC, this has been a couple of years now, he said the refinery is 85 Octane, and the driver has to blend in whatever is required to raise the octane. So, that 87 octane we get has 10%, more or less, Ethanol in it.

the higher grades have even more Ethanol, so the octane can be raised to 91, etc.

·
Registered
125 Posts
a friend of mine used to haul gasoline from the refinery to the stations.
he told me that each brand of gasoline had a specific "treatment package" that was to be dropped into the tanker before he hooked up the hose to fill the tanks. The tankers have several tanks separated so he can haul 650 gallons, or... IIRC, his tanker had 4 partitions of different sizes....
I was going to mention tankers as blenders but driver blending was a long time ago. Base gasoline is pretty well all the same everywhere in N America, the differences are the amount of additives. There is still a formula for each particular brands additives that differentiates between fuels, however that is held in a database and in-line computer controlled. Usually a tanker will carry a high octane and the low octane that gets dropped into separate tanks at the station. When you choose a mid-octane you are getting a combination of the two and that's called splash blending. In reality a discount fuel retailer will meet minimum additive standards while a "Top Tier" fuel retailer must meet a higher additive standard. There is no test for particular additives or formula, however there are tests for the results. I can get the same results using different formula. That's why I don't like aftermarket additives except once a year (with E10 89PON) for storage and never use more than suggested.
G.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I run a dose of Seafoam in my motorcycles every 3-4 months in both my motorcycles and twice a year in the trucks and SUV.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Calling all motorheads/geeks !!! ..................................

My Wing is too new for this but.................what say you guys regarding the use of Seafoam ??

Thanks !!!!
I've been using Seafoam for many years in my bikes. I run about an ounce a gallon through every 2-3 months (about 4,000 miles). I've put nearly 500,000 miles on these scooters and have never had a fuel problem. Pretty cheap and easy maintenance for about $7.00 a can. My fuel regiment is as follows: In the summer months I generally use regular 87 octane fuel since I burn it up pretty quickly. I the winter I use 100% gas to combat the wild temperature swings we get here in Oklahoma which cases more condensation. Seafoam is a very good product in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I alway add 1/2 can to my fuel tank, when I'm planning on a long trip, and I know that I'll be using up a full tank of gas that day...I'm hoping that I'm correct when I believe that I'm doing right cleaning the injectors.....
Ronnie

·
Registered
125 Posts
I alway add 1/2 can to my fuel tank...
If using a Top Tier fuel you don't require more additives, however if you decide to use an additive or have used some discount fuel, follow the directions which are 1 ounce for 1 gallon so 8 ounces will treat 8 gallons (too much may increase deposits)
G.

·
Registered
45 Posts
After reading this thread, I went and bought my first bottle of seafoam. My bike is relatively new, so it's doubtful I will see a marked improvement, but also noticed that Seafoam can be used as an oil additive. Anyone using that? I can see putting in 4 oz or so a week before an oil change. Any feedback on this would be appreciated

·
Registered
564 Posts
After reading this thread, I went and bought my first bottle of seafoam. My bike is relatively new, so it's doubtful I will see a marked improvement, but also noticed that Seafoam can be used as an oil additive. Anyone using that? I can see putting in 4 oz or so a week before an oil change. Any feedback on this would be appreciated
Sea Foam as an oil additive, should only be done at the last 100-200 miles on an engine that has very dirty black oil. e.g., it is probably sludged up a bit. When you drain that oil out, it will be blacker than black.... I like to put in fresh oil/filter and run it about 1000 miles, and drain it again, new oil, new filter.
it should stay clean from then on, providing you ride it regularly.

Sea Foam, 4 oz only, in the crankcase will dissolve the sludge deposits.

Once should be enough, if you think it needs it twice, the PO must have been using Pennzoil or Quaker state from the 40s and 50s :(

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Thank you AZ..Good info here!
Ronnie

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Too new for Seafoam? Never heard of that; Seafoam is great stuff. I use it as a stabilizer and it cleans things out when I run the winter storage fuel out in the spring.
Yes, too new for Seafoam. I have a 2018 Wing with just over 14K on it. I don't imagine ANYTHING has built up inside to warrant ANY additive. To put an additive ( Seafoam ) in there now ( so new ) would just be a total waste. However, I use it in evrything else. Lawnmower, pressure washer, generator. Anyhing that has a gasoline powered motor in it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I just started two crusty engines I found under the new house, and it took a dose of Seafoam to get them both going. One was a push lawn mower of unknown vintage, and the other was a two stroke edger.

Pull, pull, pull, pull,... nothing. Add Seafoam, pull a dozen times and wait about 15-30 minutes... Both started within two pulls after that.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Just yesterday, I went out and tried to start my snow blower, NO START... I added some Seafoam, and a bit more gas.. The engine started right up... WAS it the Seafoam OR adding a bit more fuel, that allowed it to start............(I'll never know)

Ronnie

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a believer in Seafoam. My 2001 Valkyrie sat for almost two riding seasons. When I was able to get back on the road my fears were confirmed, the bike was all gummed up. Throttle response was awful and the bike lacked power. I drained the old gas and added new, still no success. I picked up some Seafoam, thinking it was just a snake oil product but I was desperate. The last thing I wanted to do was tear into a bank of six carburetors. I added a half bottle and took it for a ride, no difference. I let the bike sit for a few days. Took it out for another ride and the throttle response seemed to be getting a little better. I got on the highway and tried to open it up but the bike struggled to get up to the posted speed limit. Heading home on some back roads the bike started to sputter and pop. As I was pulling over to the side of the road I was thinking "how am I going to get the bike home from here" when the bike let out a loud backfire and it came back to life! Throttle response was crisp, all the power of the six cylinder engine was there again and it ran great for the following few years I owned it. I have used Seafoam in all my bikes and lawn equipment since then.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts